Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Mercedes E63 AMG to get standard AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-12, 06:29 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default 2014 Mercedes E63 AMG to get standard AWD?

Sources have informed WCF that the upcoming 2014 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG is going to come as standard with 4MATIC all-wheel drive and will develop 550 HP (405 kW) without the optional Performance Package. It will be able to perform the 0-60 mph (0-97 km/h) sprint in 3.4 seconds. The current E63 AMG with its rear-wheel drive configuration produces 525 HP (386 kW) and accelerates from zero to 62 mph (100 km/h) in 4.3 seconds.

As far as styling is concerned, AMG is going for a very aggressive appearance in an effort to shake the stigma of a glorified E-Class. The front and rear bumpers, headlights and the side skirts will receive some alterations, with the front bumper resembling the Ferrari F430's bumper with big rounded air intakes. The headlights will be a one-piece unit with LEDs and bi-xenon, while the side skirts are completely different and more pronounced, featuring a trim piece that runs along the car’s length.

The 2014 E63 AMG is scheduled to go into production in Q3 2013.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11210194...-hp-and-4matic
Old 10-24-12, 07:34 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I worry that AMG just continues to chase the raw numbers and cares less about providing cars with good driver feedback and involvement. Why go AWD? To win the 0-60 race?
Old 10-24-12, 07:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

hm, when I think AMG I think big engine and RWD.
Old 10-24-12, 07:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

hahaha they got the memo on the audi s8?
Old 10-24-12, 07:48 AM
LexFather

It's amazing to see the difference between the new e63 buyers and the previous w211 model. I think a big issue is still the styling and a facelift can help so much. Shame cause the car is super capable.

these cars are putting up so much power they are nearly undriveable when floored on public roads. Seriously they are muscle cars with masks. Awd would be safer clearly ala Porsche turbo vehicle.

Old 10-24-12, 08:34 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ohh... this just sweetens the pot some more..... Man.. MB is awesome
Old 10-24-12, 10:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
these cars are putting up so much power they are nearly undriveable when floored on public roads.
I remember my E63 review several years ago (and, to compare, I went to high school with the late-60s muscle-cars). Those cars, of course, lacked traction control and VSC, and, on dry pavement (never mind wet), laid a patch of rear-tire rubber every time you floored them at low speeds or a standstill (though I showed more sense and caution driving them than a lot of my friends did). But the E63, by sedan standards, is just something else. During the review, I tried a few moderately-hard accelerations....even under half to 3/4 throttle, you still get thrust back in your seat like a dinosaur just kicked the car in the a**. I kept the traction/VSC on (no use burning up the tires on a brand-new car with an unbroken-in engine). But, had I turned the T/C off and tried to play like Brock Yates, I have little or no doubt that that car's 507 HP and 469 ft-lbs. of torque (even more on the new ones) would have burnt the rear-tires for a whole football-field. With the Mercedes 4-Matic AWD, of course (if they actually install it), that, of course, will make things much different by distributing the torque to all four wheels, depending on how the engineers program it front-to-rear.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-24-12 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-24-12, 10:28 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think this makes sense
because it would give it more grip and be a bit more sophisticated around the corners instead of being a luxury muscle car...
Old 10-24-12, 10:51 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I worry that AMG just continues to chase the raw numbers and cares less about providing cars with good driver feedback and involvement. Why go AWD? To win the 0-60 race?
Ya, the philosophy here seems to be "it's already way too heavy, so we might as well make it heavier".
Old 10-24-12, 11:42 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Not to crash a thread about Mercedes, but the theoretical GS F is looking better and better to me, even with 461hp.

The M5 is very overweight and has been neutered as a driver's car.

The E63 will now be heavier, probably ~4,200lbs, with AWD which limits the fun you can have with a high performance machine.

The S6 was recently rated above the other two, but is shorter on power, still relatively heavy, and AWD.

I really think there is an opportunity here for Lexus to build a driver's car, because I don't see one in the three above. You have plenty of speed, plenty of grip and plenty of performance, but judging by the reviews, none of them have provided that man-to-machine connection that we used to get from say, the E39 M5. They're all heavy, two of the three are all wheel drive and all utilize forced induction. There is something missing from this group: light(er) weight, naturally aspirated engine, RWD and driver-focused rather than number-oriented. Hopefully Lexus can deliver with the GS F.

The one wildcard is the XFR/XFR-S. The XF continues to be a driver's car and a damn hot looking one at that. It would probably be my choice over the three above.

I can theoretically see a review where the Jag, Lexus and Audi all outrank the AMG and M cars in a comparo. Hell would freeze over, but I don't think it is impossible
Old 10-24-12, 12:36 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

You must not havebeen reading recent reviews about the newest AMG models. The current E63 has been consistently praised for its engaging nature. Here's one review if you're curious: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...e63-amg-page-3

Originally Posted by gengar
Ya, the philosophy here seems to be "it's already way too heavy, so we might as well make it heavier".
I agree the heaviness will be an issue, but Mercedes clearly wants a slice of what Audi is having in the northeast and midwest.
Old 10-24-12, 02:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

As far as styling is concerned, AMG is going for a very aggressive appearance in an effort to shake the stigma of a glorified E-Class.
I like aggressive. New M5 isn't special looking enough. XFR-S on the other hand..
Old 10-24-12, 04:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I agree. They will enhance 0-60 times but will simply dial up a dose of understeer on corner entry. I guess this is why BMW is always hailed as the best handling cars. They wouldnt try this with the M5 or M3. Not sure I like this.
Old 10-25-12, 03:19 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's be honest here. It needs it.

AWD is quickly becoming the future of most hardcore performance cars for a very good reason: to put all that power down. Current AMGs are pretty hard to control in a drag race because the rear wheels cannot effectively put all that power to the ground. The whole system and the tires just cannot cope with that insane amount of power.

Also, most buyers won't be driving these cars on the track and most won't really care about over- or understeer.
Old 10-25-12, 03:50 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And AWD would be safer to most buyers, let's face it, how many of them knows how to drive powerful RWD cars?

Quick Reply: 2014 Mercedes E63 AMG to get standard AWD?