Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura NSX News

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-15, 10:34 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the LFA did almost nothing for lexus in the market, except convincing the already convinced that toyota/lexus can build anything given enough time and money.
So true
Old 07-21-15, 11:11 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

i disagree with the comparison. the LFA did almost nothing for lexus in the market, except convincing the already convinced that toyota/lexus can build anything given enough time and money. the LFA was spectacular, but did almost nothing for the brand.
We'll have to agree to disagree then. The LFA helped solidify F-Sport, which is now a highly sought after trim level on numerous models. Even The Crafted Line and RX Appearance Package borrow cues. The LFA laid the ground work for technology and design features like the Sliding TFT gauges (IS, RC) and Horizontal layers (IS, RC, ES, GS, LS, upcoming LX).

F is a different story. Chief engineers have said at least for now they are not into these horsepower wars because it's about 'fun to drive' and 'emotion' from a sporty chassis and linear engine. A few years from now we'll see a philosophy change likely with the LS, LC and a new generation of powertrains both in hybrid and forced induction applications. When the IS, GS and RC consolidate onto a lighter chassis, weight savings will be important too.

Jeremy Clarkson was not 'already convinced'

Of course this is about Acura and the NSX. For Acura it should be easier given the more attainable price () and history of the name to recall their glory days. They have a bright future if they can embrace their catalyst and adapt to industry trends and technology this time around than fall stale to the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' philosophy.
Old 07-22-15, 04:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
We'll have to agree to disagree then. The LFA helped solidify F-Sport, which is now a highly sought after trim level on numerous models.
i believe lexus sales would be down this year were it not for the addition of 2 new models. the lfa helped those who are already fans keep holding the flame aloft. but the lfa is already long gone, except to the fortunate 500 and those deeply into lexus lore.

the 'f-sport' trim is a joke on many models. same engines with just a slight suspension tune and some cosmetic bits including ghastly huge black grilles.

F is a different story. Chief engineers have said at least for now they are not into these horsepower wars because it's about 'fun to drive' and 'emotion' from a sporty chassis and linear engine.
with only 2 models currently, 'f' is indeed another story, but a very short one. the LAST GEN is-f soldiers on (why?) and the rc-f should be called porky pig. the gs-f, whenever it shows up, looks to be the best 'f' so far, even if it won't worry german competitors.

sorry to sound harsh, but i know lexus could do so much better.

Jeremy Clarkson was not 'already convinced'
don't understand this comment.

Of course this is about Acura and the NSX. For Acura it should be easier given the more attainable price () and history of the name to recall their glory days. They have a bright future if they can embrace their catalyst and adapt to industry trends and technology this time around than fall stale to the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' philosophy.
acura's certainly stubbed it's toes repeatedly in the past 10+yrs and gave little to be enthusiastic about. the new tlx is great though (and sales reflect that), the heavily revised ilx is a lot better (and looks good to me), the mdx is solid, the rdx is old but decent value (and will be better with coming tech refresh), but the rlx (just like the rl before) is a dud. i don't really see the nsx as making a giant difference either, but at least it apparently won't be as enormously priced like an lfa, and hopefully it will be around for more than a year or 2 and just 500 units!

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-22-15 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-22-15, 05:36 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I think the new NSX will help bring back the Honda enthusiast types who have been pissed off that resources went into the ZDX instead of a timely gen 2 NSX.

It also looks like they will do a mini NSX in some time frame under the Honda brand and that thing will fly off the shelves (my Honda XYZ has the same DNA as the NSX).
Old 07-23-15, 12:21 AM
Hoovey689

i believe lexus sales would be down this year were it not for the addition of 2 new models. the lfa helped those who are already fans keep holding the flame aloft. but the lfa is already long gone, except to the fortunate 500 and those deeply into lexus lore.
But the LFA wasn't about sales, looking at the bigger picture, it was an air of change for Lexus. Five years ago Lexus was going through turmoil, with some L-Finesse quality slips, the floor mat fiasco recall and the Tsunami. Fast forward and Lexus is coming on strong on many fronts (though some would argue slowly), and not to say the competition is standing still either, just look at Jaguar and Cadillac and Benz. In the end it's about passion which is exactly what Acura needs, which is why the NSX is so important.

the 'f-sport' trim is a joke on many models. same engines with just a slight suspension tune and some cosmetic bits including ghastly huge black grilles.
Perhaps on the CT which is mainly cosmetic, but the IS and GS both with AVS and S+, and GS with larger 14" discs had good wins against stiff competition by R&T and Motortrend respectively. RX F-Sport has an 8-Speed Auto and Paddle shifters vs standard 6-Speed. F-Sport trims are evolving from 2011 trim 'looks'. Also the NX F-Sport just won a big Luxury Compact Crossover Comparison

with only 2 models currently, 'f' is indeed another story, but a very short one. the LAST GEN is-f soldiers on (why?) and the rc-f should be called porky pig. the gs-f, whenever it shows up, looks to be the best 'f' so far, even if it won't worry german competitors.

sorry to sound harsh, but i know lexus could do so much better.
GS F is only 8" longer than the IS F, and seems to be filling two shoes while the IS F is on hiatus and these rumored FI powertrains are being developed.

acura's certainly stubbed it's toes repeatedly in the past 10+yrs and gave little to be enthusiastic about. the new tlx is great though (and sales reflect that), the heavily revised ilx is a lot better (and looks good to me), the mdx is solid, the rdx is old but decent value (and will be better with coming tech refresh), but the rlx (just like the rl before) is a dud. i don't really see the nsx as making a giant difference either, but at least it apparently won't be as enormously priced like an lfa, and hopefully it will be around for more than a year or 2 and just 500 units!
Acura does appear to be rebounding albeit slowly. Like you say, the TLX, revised '16 ILX and '16 RDX give them much better standing. Apart from the RLX being so ho-hum, the Hybrid version was released late 2014 when it should have been a 2015 after all the delays. This irked some potential buyers who canceled their orders.

Coming tech refresh? 2016 RDX gained Blind Spot Information System, Lane Keep Assist, Collision Mitigation Bracking System options. Have you heard of something else coming?

Last edited by Hoovey689; 07-23-15 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-23-15, 06:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Coming tech refresh? 2016 RDX gained Blind Spot Information System, Lane Keep Assist, Collision Mitigation Bracking System options. Have you heard of something else coming?
no, didn't know '16 was already available.

another aspect of auto world that's irrelevant - model years.
Old 07-23-15, 08:55 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

NSX could , just maybe, impact the sales of RLX Hybrid.
Old 07-23-15, 10:17 AM
Hoovey689

no, didn't know '16 was already available.

another aspect of auto world that's irrelevant - model years.
Yessir, it hit dealers mid-April. A slightly more powerful 3.5L V6 gained 6 horsepower up to 279hp with cylinder deactivation and a 9-Speed Auto vs the old 6-Speed. It gained AcuraWatch™ which is their suite of advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies, including Adaptive Cruise Control, Collision Mitigation Braking System™ and Forward Collision Warning, Lane Keeping Assist and Lane Departure Warning and BSIS. The ACE body structure was also improved for frontal collisions and netted a 5-Star Overall safety rating from NHTSA and a Top Safety Pick from IIHS.

Originally Posted by Vladi
It'd be nice to see the hybrid tech trickle down and spawn some efficient and performance minded Acuras. ILX, TLX and MDX would be good canidates. I won't hold my breath though

What I'd really like to see is Type-S variants make a comeback.
Old 07-23-15, 12:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i would venture to say the isf had more impact on the fsport image than the lfa

on the other hand the first nsx build so much for the acura brand, the new nsx can make it or break it for acura on "sports" (if it takes off)
Old 07-23-15, 02:05 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
I doubt it, the RLX Hybrid is production limited and they really screwed up the launch by launching it a while after the fwd RLX which took most of the excitement away from the new powertrain they might have got if the RLX Hybrid came first and made some buzz/put out some impressive numbers.
Old 07-23-15, 07:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
i would venture to say the isf had more impact on the fsport image than the lfa
i agree with that!

on the other hand the first nsx build so much for the acura brand, the new nsx can make it or break it for acura on "sports" (if it takes off)
well 'takes off' is relative. i don't think the nsx sold that well after the first few years as the price increased quite steeply?
Old 07-23-15, 07:41 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I believe Acura is still Acura.

The car will be great.

They will screw up some stuff like no targa or vert at launch. With the original NSX they said the engineers decided to not do an open top. then duh, the customers made it clear that they wanted one so the car got a retrofit that exposed a lack of stiffness.

It appears that the new car is being released without a plan for an open top.

The first NSX didn't receive the frequency and magnitude of performance upgrades that the GTR has had. With the turbo format, I would bet that Acura will be better at covering this issue over the next 10 plus or minus years.

I really hope they put something in place to keep the dealers from gouging on the early cars. That stuff caused me to work to hard in 99 to find an S2000 at list.

Any new predictions on when orders can be placed? At this point I am guessing it will be right before Labor Day.

My dealer continues to say he expects a car he can sell within 90 days.

If the cars being paraded around the US are indeed production cars, then perhaps they will have a launch edition to drop onto dealership showroom floors and will follow with a build to order program.
Old 07-23-15, 09:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i agree with that!

well 'takes off' is relative. i don't think the nsx sold that well after the first few years as the price increased quite steeply?
sorry, when i said take off i meant the sports aspect of the brand, which hasn't done very well over the past decade
Old 08-05-15, 04:43 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile Pix

The brand new Acura NSX is finally on the way and our spy photographers have caught it testing in production form, meaning it’s completely camo-free.

This mid-engined Japanese sports car has a twin turbo V6, a hybrid gas-electric powertrain, and is expected to make more than 500 hp. You can see that high-tech heart through the rear window. All that power will hit the road through a new super-handling all-wheel drive system, which is paired to a 9-speed dual-clutch transmission.

The NSX uses a number of high-tech and advanced materials to keep weight down including aluminum and carbon fiber.

These spy photos show off the bright red paint finish of the new NSX and a number of cool carbon fiber trim pieces. You can spot it on the front and rear bumpers, spoiler and some trim bits on the wheels.

This has to be the final look at the car before the production version finally hits showrooms, so take it in and get ready to see the real deal soon. The NSX will be manufactured in Marysville, Ohio.

Old 08-05-15, 04:48 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool car, terrible wheels.

Quick Reply: Acura NSX News