Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura NSX News

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-15, 01:59 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yes things change but the LFA was (and still is) incredible and obviously Lexus hasn't done anything comparable since.

in the same vein i don't know why people compare a gs-f to an e63

but comparisons happen!
Kinda agreed, yeah.

IMO, the upcoming hybrid LC coupe would be a better comparison to the new NSX. I know its still different, front engine vs mid engine, and 2+2 vs 2 seater. But at least they are both hybrid (LC h) and maybe a closer price range between the two?
Old 01-12-15, 02:01 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
I don't know why everyone keeps bringing up the LFA. That was like 4 years ago. Things change over time.
People bring it up because its the most recent Japanese supercar with similar HP. It only went out of production two years ago or so.
Old 01-12-15, 02:02 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As the owner of both the R8 and NSX currently, I can say I'm very stoked and excited for what the future for Acura holds! This new car looks amazing - I can't wait to drive it in person!

The only thing that worries me is if things break, you would need like triple PhD's to service this car! haha
Old 01-12-15, 02:04 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

the exterior details are a bit busy but they're saying it's all for function plus i'm sure it will look less busy in a color other than lipstick red.

the 'numbers' sound awesome and i hope reality is at least as good and the package is cohesive.

the LFA was my fave exotic and i'm still smitten by it, but it's hard to argue that this at less than half the price, could be an even bigger wow.
I am sure this Acura will also be much more expensive if they decide to make only 500 of them
Old 01-12-15, 02:04 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
People bring it up because its the most recent Japanese supercar with similar HP. It only went out of production two years ago or so.
Yes, but it was introduced in late 2011/early 2012. The new NSX won't even be sold until at least mid 2015. My point is that here has been a time gap, and things change over time, thats all.
Old 01-12-15, 02:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I am sure this Acura will also be much more expensive if they decide to make only 500 of them
i never understood why lexus only made 500 LFAs except that EVEN AT $375K they were probably losing a bunch of much money on each one. so higher volume doesn't always mean lower price.
Old 01-12-15, 02:22 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i never understood why lexus only made 500 LFAs except that EVEN AT $375K they were probably losing a bunch of much money on each one. so higher volume doesn't always mean lower price.
Agree. 500 limited production probably means they don't have to lose more. Hand built car is costly, unless Toyota decided not to hand build it, I don't see it being any cheaper.
Old 01-12-15, 03:30 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a beautiful production car Acura, Thanks! Looking forward to seeing it in person!
Old 01-12-15, 03:55 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

LFA still beats the NSX in engine sound though!
Old 01-12-15, 03:57 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Old 01-12-15, 04:03 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
R8's are not close to being "reliable" if you pay attention to owners sites plus they are extremely expensive to maintain and fix.

Porsche 911 is nowhere as sexy as the NSX nor as special, 350hp base, only competitive 911 power and performance wise will be the 911 turbo/GT2 which are still not as sexy or advanced and will cost as much or more.

BMW i8 has a wheezy 3 cylinder turbo making less then 300hp, total output is less then 400hp where the NSX will be using a 6 cylinder turbo/much more advanced hybrid system with a total output over 550hp, NSX will walk all over a i8.

MB GT is front engined and more of a GT car then a all out sports car like the NSX plus it likely won't perform anywhere near as well.
New NSX looks AMAZING and tech sounds cool.

For most supercar owners reliability is the last thing they worry about.
New R8 is around the corner, so is a cheaper McLaren.
911 Turbo / GT3 may not be as sexy but probably easier to use as a daily.
BMW i8 is for the techies that care nothing about HP #s plus a much more powerful i8 is coming soon......

All im saying there are a TON of awesome supercars now - this is far from 1989-1990 when Acura caught the world by surprise.
At 150k price range there are so many great ones, Acura should of kept it around 100k....
Old 01-12-15, 04:08 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

BMW i8 is for the techies that care nothing about HP #s plus a much more powerful i8 is coming soon......

All im saying there are a TON of awesome supercars now - this is far from 1989-1990 when Acura caught the world by surprise.
At 150k price range there are so many great ones, Acura should of kept it around 100k....
If at $150k it performs as well as the Nismo GT-R with the driving dynamics of the old NSX, this car should be great
Old 01-12-15, 04:19 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

This sure is a thing of beauty. What a great start to 2015 for car enthusiasts!
Old 01-12-15, 05:16 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Buyers of modern supercars don't want to deal with a bunch of problems draining their bank accounts more. The people having issue's with the R8 sure sound like they care and are not very happy reading the forums.

I don't see how the Turbo and GT3 would be any easier to use as a daily aside from having those very cramped rear seats for the turbo to put some stuff or occasionally drive some kids around.

They are not going to surprise the world anymore with the NSX as the first one already came out decades ago. There is no mid engined exotic sports car for a 150K that offers the looks, power, performance, reliability, advanced powertrain, likely low maintenance costs, and long term ownership prospect as the new NSX nor will there likely be one for a while.

No way you are getting a brand new mid engine NSX design with over 500hp for 100K. If it was only 100K I would be seriously concerned with all the corners they had to cut to get it to that price, selling it at a huge loss is going to mean they won't further develop it and will just let it rot like the last one. The last NSX sold for over 90K at the end of its run and it had 290hp from a NA V6 and they still lost money on it.

Hopefully in the future they do build something off the same platform without the crazy hybrid and other expensive bits for around a 100K or less.
Old 01-12-15, 06:22 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,702 Likes on 2,287 Posts

After seeing the car "in the flesh" and not the hyper realistic photos I feel a slight letdown. It's still very nice but doesn't quite have the exotic feel to it. Dunno can't put my finger on it.

Quick Reply: Acura NSX News