Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura NSX News

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-14, 10:43 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Yes I remembered the exploding tranny, that was also just reprogramming the launch control for a softer and lower rpm launch. Initially it was launching at like 4k rpm, then they turn it down to 2.5k or something like that. Again no hardware was changed, stronger tranny cost A LOT!!
Oh ok. Thanks.
Old 10-31-14, 03:37 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New NSX Approaching Final Stages of Development

One of the greatest sports car nameplates from Japan is returning for a second round with Honda's re-born NSX supercar back on track after a fiery incident in the summer.

Over the past two years, the NSX has been making motor show and even racing appearances around the world with both Acura and Honda badges in concept form. As you can see from the prototype, the changes over the most recent NSX concept are minimal with the production car to be almost identical.

The Japanese firm wants to repeat the formula of the original model by creating an everyday supercar capable of competing with anything from a Porsche 911 to a Ferrari 458 and a McLaren 620S at a price of around $100,000, or the same levels as Nissan's GT-R.

It will get a mid-mounted, twin-turbo V6 paired to an electric motor driving the rear wheels through a seven-speed dual clutch transmission, and twin-electric motors turning the front wheels, with the system expected to deliver more than 400 ponies.

The introduction of the new NSX is imminent and could happen as early as January at the 2015 Detroit motor show, with the car scheduled for launch by the summer of the same year. It will be built at Honda's US plant in Ohio.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/10/new...stages-of.html
Old 10-31-14, 03:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

A proud nameplate to be built in Ohio
Old 11-01-14, 02:59 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

I hope we are getting it in Europe. Might be a good DD with Ferrari/Porsche performance/handling. Looks fresh for me. It looks really small in size, I like that. Hope Supra will be compact. 458 is as big as a 3 Series, such a waste of space.

Last edited by Levi68; 11-01-14 at 03:03 AM.
Old 11-29-14, 09:54 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default New Honda NSX Sold Out in the UK Before Even Being Shown in Public

Although we have yet to see the final production form of the upcoming Honda NSX, the hybrid supercar is already sold out in the UK.

How did that happen, you may ask? Well, Honda has been taking orders for the NSX for two years now. As it has already received 100 orders, which cover at least the first year’s allocation for the UK market, the automaker has stopped accepting further orders, company officials told CAR.

The 100 people who ordered an NSX in the UK have placed £5000 ($7,855) deposits for the Japanese supercar, which will be unveiled in production form at the 2015 Detroit Auto Show in January and will arrive in Britain in 2016.

The Honda NSX (badged as an Acura in the U.S.) will get a mid-mounted, twin-turbo V6 engine mated to an electric motor driving the rear wheels through a seven-speed dual clutch transmission, and twin-electric motors turning the front wheels. Combined system output is expected to exceed 400 horsepower.

The NSX will be built in the United States at Honda’s plant in Ohio and is expected to carry a starting price of around $100,000 there when it launches in mid-2015. That’s about the same as a Nissan GT-R.

In terms of design, the NSX will not be a surprise to those who have seen the Acura- and Honda-badged concepts revealed over the past two years, with changes expected to be minimal.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/11/new...uk-before.html
Old 12-04-14, 10:08 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Acura announced an NSX successor nearly 9.5 years ago

A lot of people have criticized the Acura NSX's long gestation period but the wait has been even longer than most people realize.

While the company unveiled the NSX concept at the 2012 North American International Auto Show, Acura announced plans for an NSX successor in the summer of 2005. At the time, the original NSX was being phased out because the company couldn't justify the costs to make it comply with "stringent 2006 emissions and equipmentregulations for the U.S., Europe and Asia."

Interestingly, the company's line hasn't changed much in the past decade as Honda's John Mendel said "We are committed to having an ultra high-performance vehicle in the Acura lineup in the future." He also noted the "... all-new model will be just as groundbreaking as the 1991 NSX."

Fast forward to today and we're still waiting for the highly-anticipated model which will feature a mid-mounted V6 engine and a Sport Hybrid Super Handling All Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) system that has two electric motors that power the front wheels another electric motor that is integrated into the dual-clutch transmission.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11412038...y-95-years-ago
Old 12-04-14, 06:00 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

They did announce successors earlier but they were going in a very different direction then what is coming, they totally changed direction twice. First successor after the 1st gen stopped production was going to be based off the HSC concept which was similar to the original but had a NA 3.5l engine putting out around 350-400hp. People seemed to like the concept by many complained that a NA V6 was not enough power or big enough engine to deal with the upcoming Ferrari F430 and other higher hp cars. They wanted a bigger engine and more power so I believe the next gen was held off or cancelled. They then decided to go with a front engined sports car with a V10 that would replace but not be a new NSX or be called the NSX but just replace the NSX as Acura's top sports car. They built a concept of it which did not get very good press but people liked the idea of a V10 sports car so they went ahead with development. The car was almost done when at last minute it was cancelled along with the RWD V8 sedan.

The hybrid next gen NSX that they announced around 2010 is on schedule if it is released in 2015. Confusion lies that they totally changed direction 2 times before agreeing on a hybrid mid engine NSX.
Old 12-04-14, 06:56 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I doubt the NSX will have the same impact it did back in 1990 based on the specs we know.

I hope for Acura's sake I'm wrong since they desperately need a credible halo car to re-elevate their brand.
Old 12-04-14, 07:01 PM
Hoovey689

Old 12-04-14, 07:28 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I doubt the NSX will have the same impact it did back in 1990 based on the specs we know.

I hope for Acura's sake I'm wrong since they desperately need a credible halo car to re-elevate their brand.
The specs look good, twin turbo DI 3.5L V6 + electric motor would put out around 550 hp with a conservative tune, it would rock performance wise if it is fairly lightweight around 3500 lbs. It's performance target is the 458 (570hp/3400 lbs).

But yes it won't be anywhere near as cool as the original one.
Old 12-04-14, 07:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
But yes it won't be anywhere near as cool as the original one.
i disagree or at least have to say we don't know. the original nsx was certainly a 'challenge to convention' in an awesome way, but this new nsx is MUCH more ambitious, tt v6 + electric motors front and rear and DCT 7 speed. that's a LOAD of tech. if they can make it work seamlessly in a great driving experience they'll really have something. the original nsx certainly wasn't the fastest car out there, but it had (has) something special in the way it drives, in particular how 'normal' it seemed compared to 'challenging' (not to mention unreliable) super cars of the day.

and at 1/4 the price of the (totally awesome) LFA, it could be an amazing bargain.
Old 12-05-14, 12:49 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

I disagree with the comments above, and hope I will be proved right. This car is in development for many years (think beloved LFA). This car comes with a Twin-Turbo V6. Think of what a lighter GT-R would do! Then is has improved handling due to possible AWS, and electrically powered FWD, so less weight than conventional MR4 and also no under-steer like R8 ect. This car is basically a 918 Spyder for 911 Carrera price. Sure the new Ferrari 458T will be fast and so the 650R, but if Honda follows Toyota and Nissan in terms of continual improvement, this car will stay relevant for a long time. Being hybrid you could even probably drive it on electric only. Turbo lag should be eliminated due to electric power.

Can't wait for this car. It should be as great if not greater than the previous one. However can't compare, two car, best in their era.
Old 12-05-14, 06:27 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm glad they stuck to the mid-engine layout. I know i"m going to get a lot of crap for this, but I think it looks better than the LFA. The LFA is an amazing machine, but it just doesn't have that 'exotic' shape with the engine in front. It's part of the reason why I never fell in love with the Ferrari California, yet I lust over the 458.
Old 12-05-14, 10:37 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by GSteg
I'm glad they stuck to the mid-engine layout. I know i"m going to get a lot of crap for this, but I think it looks better than the LFA. The LFA is an amazing machine, but it just doesn't have that 'exotic' shape with the engine in front. It's part of the reason why I never fell in love with the Ferrari California, yet I lust over the 458.
Only from Lexus fanboys . Joking aside, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, a vast majority would actually agree when you take into consideration all other supercars. That said while I don't believe the LFA is a beauty queen, I happen to like it's exterior. The LFA is simply automotive bliss.

How do you feel about the F12 Berlinetta?
Old 12-05-14, 10:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
come on the 599 looks quite exotic to me

seriously, i am still partial on the new nsx. i agree spec wise i think the car does ok, i don't think it's losing out in any way, and we have to see about real street and track performance. the original nsx spec wasn't super wow too in some way, but as soon as people got their hands on the car it was game over on ferrari. i think it's somewhat the same with the new one. yeah having v10 or v12 would be "cool", but remember the original nsx also had a v6 killing all the ferrari v8.

this car is still unicorn to me, so i will have to wait and see how it really does. i am just still a little unsure about electric engine but we know that's the future

Quick Reply: Acura NSX News