Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official Photos of All-New 2014 Mazda3 Hatchback and Sedan Allegedly Leaked

Old 10-20-12, 12:20 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Well at least they got rid of joker face. That had to be "THE" worst looking front end on any car in the past 10 years, which was a shame because the rest of the car looked pretty spiffy.

As for the new car, those photos look beautiful. Still not sure about the huge grill, but if they get the detailing on it right(ie the right mesh and border) it could look fantastic.
Old 10-20-12, 10:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Can't decide if that nose is worse than the smiley face...
The rear end is probably worse than the nose, if you have outward-visibility in mind. Today's automakers seem more and more enamored with large, thick C/D pillars and droop-down rear rooflines. Some of it. of course, is dictated by frame-stiffness and roof-crush/roll-over standards requiring large side-pillars, but stylists, IMO, are still going to excess.
Old 10-20-12, 05:30 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The rear end is probably worse than the nose, if you have outward-visibility in mind. Today's automakers seem more and more enamored with large, thick C/D pillars and droop-down rear rooflines. Some of it. of course, is dictated by frame-stiffness and roof-crush/roll-over standards requiring large side-pillars, but stylists, IMO, are still going to excess.
Well that's really just the trend with automakers. Sporty styling and "pleasing aesthetics" take the form > function route. Thankfully Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) is an awesome technology
Old 10-20-12, 05:39 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like it, want to see the sedan now.

And the new Mazda 6 looks VERY impressive. Go Mazda!
Old 10-20-12, 07:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Well that's really just the trend with automakers. Sporty styling and "pleasing aesthetics" take the form > function route. Thankfully Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) is an awesome technology
Yes, the latest styling-fads play a role, but I think that roll-over safety standards are also dictating larger, thicker side-pillars to keep roofs from crushing. And, yes, electronic-nannies are helping out some. My Verano sedan, for instance, though a joy to drive, doesn't have anywhere near the spacious rear-visibility my station-wagon Outback had, so I find myself (besides using the usual care/common-sense while backing) relying a lot more on the reverse-beepers that sense close objects behind the car......something my Outback didn't have.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-20-12 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-20-12, 11:53 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

it looks a lot like the infiniti etherea concept. I like!