Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Six ways to ruin your ride with terrible add-ons

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-12, 05:16 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol... That is all...
Old 10-16-12, 09:44 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by python
bigger brakes dont improve stopping? so a larger surface,bigger pads and more pistons dont matter?
i went from stock gen 1 brakes to an upgrade kit i put together which includes 1995+ pads,rotors,calipers and also ss lines..i also changed over to dot 4(which only has a higher boiling point). im here to tell u my car not only stops faster but more consistantly and my brakes dissipate heat much better.
No sir, big brakes only help you stop faster if you have stickier tires, that is the first time, what big brakes do is, stop with less brake pressure, reduce brake fade if you are continuously using your brakes hard (like on a race track). But if you have two cars with the same design and the same tires your stopping distance (assuming its not heated by repeated previous braking) will not change. Because you can lock, or activate your abs with both brake systems. you will need less pressure on the brake pedal with the bigger brakes

By the way for the bigger brakes to stop better with stickier tires the grip has to be so large that the smaller brakes cannot lock the brakes up (actually enough pressure that you are almost locking the brakes since that will give you the least distance)

Another myth is that wider tires make you brake in a shorter distance, also not true. The only reason wider tires do make you stop shorter is because they have a softer compound that gives more grip, they can use softer compound because the wider tire puts less pressure per square inch of contact area therefore not wearing as quick, but if the wider tire is compared with a narrower tire of identical compound and tread design the stopping distance would be near the same I should add same aspect ration on both tires

Last edited by sam12345; 10-16-12 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-17-12, 03:08 AM
munday
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sam12345
No sir, big brakes only help you stop faster if you have stickier tires, that is the first time, what big brakes do is, stop with less brake pressure, reduce brake fade if you are continuously using your brakes hard (like on a race track). But if you have two cars with the same design and the same tires your stopping distance (assuming its not heated by repeated previous braking) will not change. Because you can lock, or activate your abs with both brake systems. you will need less pressure on the brake pedal with the bigger brakes

By the way for the bigger brakes to stop better with stickier tires the grip has to be so large that the smaller brakes cannot lock the brakes up (actually enough pressure that you are almost locking the brakes since that will give you the least distance)

Another myth is that wider tires make you brake in a shorter distance, also not true. The only reason wider tires do make you stop shorter is because they have a softer compound that gives more grip, they can use softer compound because the wider tire puts less pressure per square inch of contact area therefore not wearing as quick, but if the wider tire is compared with a narrower tire of identical compound and tread design the stopping distance would be near the same I should add same aspect ration on both tires
This is very true.

A point to note REF tyre width, having a wider tyre does not = a larger contact patch.

Think of it this way. You have 30psi in your tyre and 30lbs acting downwards, this means your contact patch is one square inch regardless of tyre size and width. What changes with a wider tyre is the shape of the contact patch, which becomes wider and shorter and has its own benefits.

This leads to sidewall height, wider tyres often have a lower sidewall height. This decreases the tyre deformation as it rolls both in a straight line and cornering, reducing buildup of heat and therefore allowing a softer compound to be utilised.

Adam
Old 10-17-12, 03:13 AM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sam12345

+100
you are 100% correct on every point you made.
Also surface area has absolutely nothing to do with friction.
The force of friction that your tires can apply without locking your brakes equals the force applied (weight on the wheel) times the coefficient of static friction.
Old 10-17-12, 07:38 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

read the very last paragraph
http://www.streetdirectory.com/trave...ar_brakes.html
Old 10-17-12, 09:14 AM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

If your brakes have the power to lock up the wheels then the controling factor is the tires and the ABS system response.
Old 10-17-12, 10:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by billydpowe
Six ways to ruin your ride with terrible add-ons
And six ways I will agree.

I will also add a seventh...aftermarket engine computer-chips. They may increase power, but can also cause problems with emissions, engine-drivability, engine-life, operating temperature, and a number of other factors, not to mention possibly voiding the engine-warranty. Engineers design cars at the factory and put the specific parts on that they do for a reason (assuming no interference from company-management)....and they study long and hard to get those engineering-degrees.

Of course, that doesn't mean that I always totally agree with the way cars are designed. A number of vehicles today, for example, IMO, have stiffer suspensions and lower-profile tires than are ideal for typical everyday driving, especially on rougher roads. The result, of course, is lower ride-comfort.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-17-12 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-17-12, 11:43 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Fake ventiports are also a terrible add on
Old 10-17-12, 11:44 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

bigger brakes dont improve stopping? so a larger surface,bigger pads and more pistons dont matter?
i went from stock gen 1 brakes to an upgrade kit i put together which includes 1995+ pads,rotors,calipers and also ss lines..i also changed over to dot 4(which only has a higher boiling point). im here to tell u my car not only stops faster but more consistantly and my brakes dissipate heat much better.
tires do most of the braking power anyways. Getting bigger brakes itself increase the heat capacity and let you brake harder longer. Even some BBK can increase stopping distances if the brake bias is not tuned correctly. Brake bias is basically the braking power distributed between the front and rear, like weight distribution. The front and rears need to apply force in such a way that maximizes the grip of the car. Too much on the rear and you can lock the rear tires which will make the car fishtail. If you do too much force on the front you actually lose grip in the rear which will increase the braking distance.
Old 10-17-12, 02:20 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, bigger brakes don't make you stop in less distance, because the limiting factor is tire traction, not brake grip.

What they do, at the most basic level, is dissipate heat better.
Old 10-17-12, 02:27 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Don't forget those huge stickers that say "Powered by Honda"
Old 10-17-12, 05:44 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Yeah, the guy selling big brake kits says it. Of course he wants to sell big brake kits. But it's a lie, (if your brakes aren't overheated that is)
Old 10-17-12, 05:47 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by munday
This is very true.

A point to note REF tyre width, having a wider tyre does not = a larger contact patch.

Think of it this way. You have 30psi in your tyre and 30lbs acting downwards, this means your contact patch is one square inch regardless of tyre size and width. What changes with a wider tyre is the shape of the contact patch, which becomes wider and shorter and has its own benefits.

This leads to sidewall height, wider tyres often have a lower sidewall height. This decreases the tyre deformation as it rolls both in a straight line and cornering, reducing buildup of heat and therefore allowing a softer compound to be utilised.

Adam
Good point
Old 10-17-12, 06:05 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Those are only for the Chrysler 300 lol.. at least i hope..
Old 10-17-12, 06:11 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Those are only for the Chrysler 300 lol.. at least i hope..
many Buick's get them as well as the new Escape.

The worst are the PepBoys ones

Quick Reply: Six ways to ruin your ride with terrible add-ons