Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota to OverHaul Engines

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-13, 01:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

A few MPG north or south on an engine that is already efficient isn't going to matter very much. And even a significant difference between two engines that are already efficient (say 40mpg petrol vs 60mph diesel/hybrid) isn't as much of a difference as 5mpg petrol vs 10mpg diesel in a truck.

So once again, this is why it doesn't make sense to introduce hybrid and other complex technologies to budget cars that are already efficient. It just makes them more expensive, and costs more to maintain and repair. When you're spending $50 on gas a week with a CamCordTima that's cheap to begin with and will run for 10 years with minimal repair costs, it makes zero sense to pay thousands upfront and spend more on maintenance just to spend $10 less on gas each week. Unless you're putting extraordinary amount of miles on the car, and even then increased maintenance might offset all the fuel saving.

Performance hybrids such as the GS450h are surely nice, but I'd much rather get GS with 3.5 TT V6 over the hybrid.
Old 10-14-13, 02:10 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Getting to engines, Lexus used to be at the lead to me with BMW with engines but that is no longer the case. While perfectly adequate they are not class leading except in maybe reliability. I can't wait to see the new powerplants and what they offer. They cannot go another 5 years to me with the same engines.
That's been my opinion of the 2GR-FSE for awhile now. It was certainly class-leading when it came out, but yes it's been surpassed everywhere except for reliability. I know Lexus can, and should, do better. 11.8:1 compression is a little low these days. How bout 13 or 14 and maybe at least 320hp and some more torque? Would pickup an MPG or two in the process also. Make people forget all about these turbo engines these days.
Old 10-14-13, 02:25 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^A slight revision, as you mention above, with the addition of Valvematic, would probably make the engine class leading once again...not sure why they have held off on it. It's kind of puzzling, really.
Old 10-14-13, 03:46 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
Performance hybrids such as the GS450h are surely nice, but I'd much rather get GS with 3.5 TT V6 over the hybrid.
Well it's certainly not a volume seller. Though if I did have a bunch of money that I didn't know what to do with I would buy one.

I'd be interested to see a 4 cylinder turbo hybrid. Could be very fun and efficient.
Old 10-14-13, 04:02 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
right now, MSRP difference is $3.5k, and with Hybrid you get more equipment and features like dual zone AC, acusting winshield, smart entry, nicer interior.

Plus more powerful and luxurious engine that gets 10 MPG more.

Back when you were shopping, Hybrid was just released, now they sell plenty per month.

Mazda6 still gets a lot lesser MPG than Camry hybrid or the Prius.

In fact, here is the shocker - MotorTrend tested Mazda6 vs Camry 2.5l, and Camry got better mpg. So much for that eh?
Have ever driven the Camry Hybrid? It has the worst driving feel of any car. The brake pedal feels so wooden and abrupt, dead steering, it also makes all sorta of funny noises and the car just drives bad in general, absolutely no sense of driving feel. The regular 2.5L Camry drives great in comparison.

And the fuel saving generally degrades as you start putting the mileage into it. So generally with the Camry Hybrid your losing money.

If you want reliability/A-B transportation/comfort get the regular Camry. If you want luxury/performance/fun get the Camry V6

No future for the Camry Hybrid in my book, besides the bulk of Hybrid sales go to governments and fleet agencies..

Last edited by yowps3; 10-14-13 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-14-13, 04:06 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
That's been my opinion of the 2GR-FSE for awhile now. It was certainly class-leading when it came out, but yes it's been surpassed everywhere except for reliability. I know Lexus can, and should, do better. 11.8:1 compression is a little low these days. How bout 13 or 14 and maybe at least 320hp and some more torque? Would pickup an MPG or two in the process also. Make people forget all about these turbo engines these days.
But the good thing is that the 2GR-FSE makes the highest torque per litre of any naturally aspirated engine available today.

I've always felt that 306HP was quite an understatement for the 2GR-FSE considering how much and how flat the torque curve is..

Last edited by yowps3; 10-14-13 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-14-13, 04:15 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
But the good thing is that the 2GR-FSE makes the highest torque per litre of any naturally aspirated engine available today.

I've always felt that 306HP was quite an understatement for the 2GR-FSE considering how much and how flat the torque curve is..

I also feel that 2GR is an understated engine. I've driven cars with similar displacement engines with similar power output, and they just dont feel as strong as Toyota powerplant.
Old 10-14-13, 05:12 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
I also feel that 2GR is an understated engine. I've driven cars with similar displacement engines with similar power output, and they just dont feel as strong as Toyota powerplant.
Yeah I feel exactly the same. It's hard to believe the IS350 is just a 3.5L V6. It goes extremely fast and instant like a electric motor would.

I mean look at how flat that torque is. It's approaching 7000rpm and still has near peak torque levels! Crazy! This thing should be outputting way more than 306HP!

Last edited by yowps3; 10-14-13 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-14-13, 10:24 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
Gearing and weight have a lot to do with it. The Chevy Impala (the 2013 one) has more power on paper than the Avalon and Camry, but unless you floor the thing, it feels so sluggish and lethargic. Where as, the Camry and Avalon in normal driving just feels spirited. Having power is great if you can control it. The W body Impala and the Chrysler Minivans have some of the worst torque steer. They have lots of power but don't put it down on the pavement well.
Old 10-15-13, 08:59 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Just a few weeks ago, we found ourselves mightily impressed with the 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid, which uses a new two-motor hybrid system that allows it to be rated at 50 mpg city. Toyota, however, says that Honda may have brought its A-game, but it will be no match for the next generation hybrid technology coming from its Japanese rival.

Speaking with us last week at a press event in Japan, Toyota managing officer Satoshi Ogiso, the “father of the Prius,” said that he’s had a lot of time studying Honda’s two-motor system and that the next Toyota system will be better.

“We’ve looked very closely at it,” he said. “We’re not worried.” He didn’t elaborate too much but to say that Toyota was well into development of its next system and would stick closely to the parallel hybrid system currently used by his company as well as Ford.

On the other hand, Honda’s two-motor system uses a clutch pack to modulate between the engine and electric motor system, essentially using the motors in place of a traditional transmission. In the 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid, it allows the somewhat heavy car to achieve a 50 mpg city/45 mpg highway fuel economy rating and uses a lithium-ion battery pack.

Toyota has continued to use a nickel-metal battery pack–larger and heavier, but far more robust. Toyota’s plug-in hybrids and electric cars use lithium-ion batteries. There’s no indication that will change anytime soon.

At August’s Toyota Hybrid World Tour in Ypsilanti, Michigan, Ogiso said that Toyota was aiming for a 10-percent improvement over the current Prius with the next-generation hybrid hatchback. That would put the 2015 Toyota Prius at 56 mpg in the city and 53 in the city, averaging 55 mpg combined. The next-generation hatchback is expected to be larger and more refined than the current vehicle, and it is expected to use components from the Toyota Next Generation Architecture, which will mean it ought to be lower than the current car and hopefully handle better than the 2013 model we tested not too long ago.

Toyota will be showing off the 2015 Prius over the next few months, with the public unveiling expected to be at January’s North American International Auto Show in Detroit.
http://blogs.automotive.com/toyota-s...gy-152837.html

Very interesting article. 60 mpg city isn't too far away.
Old 10-15-13, 10:17 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
Just a few weeks ago, we found ourselves mightily impressed with the 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid, which uses a new two-motor hybrid system that allows it to be rated at 50 mpg city. Toyota, however, says that Honda may have brought its A-game, but it will be no match for the next generation hybrid technology coming from its Japanese rival.

Speaking with us last week at a press event in Japan, Toyota managing officer Satoshi Ogiso, the “father of the Prius,” said that he’s had a lot of time studying Honda’s two-motor system and that the next Toyota system will be better.

“We’ve looked very closely at it,” he said. “We’re not worried.” He didn’t elaborate too much but to say that Toyota was well into development of its next system and would stick closely to the parallel hybrid system currently used by his company as well as Ford.

On the other hand, Honda’s two-motor system uses a clutch pack to modulate between the engine and electric motor system, essentially using the motors in place of a traditional transmission. In the 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid, it allows the somewhat heavy car to achieve a 50 mpg city/45 mpg highway fuel economy rating and uses a lithium-ion battery pack.

Toyota has continued to use a nickel-metal battery pack–larger and heavier, but far more robust. Toyota’s plug-in hybrids and electric cars use lithium-ion batteries. There’s no indication that will change anytime soon.

At August’s Toyota Hybrid World Tour in Ypsilanti, Michigan, Ogiso said that Toyota was aiming for a 10-percent improvement over the current Prius with the next-generation hybrid hatchback. That would put the 2015 Toyota Prius at 56 mpg in the city and 53 in the city, averaging 55 mpg combined. The next-generation hatchback is expected to be larger and more refined than the current vehicle, and it is expected to use components from the Toyota Next Generation Architecture, which will mean it ought to be lower than the current car and hopefully handle better than the 2013 model we tested not too long ago.

Toyota will be showing off the 2015 Prius over the next few months, with the public unveiling expected to be at January’s North American International Auto Show in Detroit.
Interesting, but it's not right to compare the Prius to the Accord Hybrid, which is a much faster, larger and heavier car in a different class. If Toyota only aims to improve the efficiency of their next-gen hybrid system by 10%, then the next-gen Camry Hybrid (assumed to improve from 40mpg to 44mpg) won't be quite enough to reclaim the MPG title of the midsize sedans. Hopefully the actual improvement will be a lot more than 10%. In fact, the improvement needs to be more like 20%, just to push the Camry Hybrid past the current Accord Hybrid's 47mpg average.

Last edited by ydooby; 10-15-13 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-15-13, 10:20 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

And the fuel saving generally degrades as you start putting the mileage into it. So generally with the Camry Hybrid your losing money.
i have had G2 and driven G3 Prius, what you say above is simply not true.
Old 10-15-13, 11:45 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i have had G2 and driven G3 Prius, what you say above is simply not true.
Never let the facts get in the way of an argument! That was not the finding by Consumer Reports that compared a 9-year old Prius against a new (at the time) 2001 Prius: there was no degradation.

Nine-year-old Prius retains its youth

To see whether an aging Toyota Prius has lost a step, we borrowed a 2002 model with 206,000 miles on the odometer. Then we put it through some of the same tests we ran almost exactly 10 years earlier on a nearly identical 2001 tested car with 2,000 miles. We checked whether the battery had worn down, which would be expensive to fix because a new one costs $2,300 to $2,600 from a dealer (more like $500 from a salvage yard). We timed acceleration. And we determined whether the mpg was as high in the aged car as it had been in the new one.

Results
Gas mileage in the old Prius was virtually the same as it had been in the new. Acceleration was just slightly slower, which could have been due to weather or to the fact that the old car wasn't tuned up. Specifics are in the table below. Testers who drove the older car said it drove essentially identically to the one tested 10 years ago, and it had no squeaks or rattles.

Bottom line
The Prius that traveled 206,000 miles still acts like a youngster. Its expensive battery has not worn out, and its performance was similar to that of a new Prius tested 10 years ago.
Source: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...view/index.htm