Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus SC Replacement Due in 2014/2015?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-12, 01:32 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Lexus SC Replacement Due in 2014/2015?

Is it possible the LF-LC, like the LF-CC, isn't merely a concept but a radical representation of an actual production model? Wouldn't the development program for such a vehicle be about midway by now? I find it interesting how in May 2010 the LF-LC project was started at Calty, only a few weeks before the early June announcement of the SC's production end. Is it possible that the LF-LC engineering-wise has actually been in development for a few years now as the SC's replacement and the concept is merely part of its design process as a preview? Usually design work starts on a Lexus model about 6-12 months after development commencement, so this car probably has been in the works since 2009 and might have a production design already frozen or is close to being so. Like the LFA, we'll probably see the production model unveiled roughly a year before production around late 2013/early 2014 as a pre-production prototype or thinly veiled concept.
Old 09-24-12, 04:48 AM
LexFather

1. LF-LC is approved
2. I'm hearing around 80k to start
3. It is not a SC replacement but might be seen as such.
4. New GS based coupe will either be called SC or be spiritual successor to SC. This is not the LF-LC.
5. Still 3-4 years away. Supposed to be faster in straight line than LFA

Old 09-24-12, 07:36 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We already have a thread for this car.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...c-concept.html

But like 1SICKLEX said, the LF-LC is not a SC replacement; a GS coupe would fill the spot left by the SC.

Here are some different "facts" that I have heard/read from other sources.

1. Price will start from $120k+
2. Will be built on LS chassis
3. Will use the hybrid drivetrain from the LS 600h
4. Could be in showrooms as early as 2015.
5. Will become Lexus' next flagship sports car (LFA 500 unit run will end way before 2015)
6. Lexus has not official confirmed the LF-LC for production, they have only hinted and teased. But we all know they are going to built it.
Old 09-24-12, 07:49 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Speculative evidence is awesome.
Old 09-24-12, 07:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Speculative evidence is awesome.
especially 3 years from now :-)
Old 09-24-12, 08:42 AM
Vossen Wheels
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The LF-LC is so beautiful...

and this GS-based coupe has me very excited. Please tell me more.
Old 09-24-12, 08:50 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vossen Wheels
and this GS-based coupe has me very excited. Please tell me more.
Autoguide is reporting that Lexus is looking into a GS coupe to take in the E-Class coupe, A5 coupe and BMW 6-Series.

Old 09-24-12, 08:56 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It'll be interesting to see what a production front end will look like. As is, there's no way the front "bumper" would meet NHTSA standards.

They require both front and rear bumpers to survive low-speed impacts with zero damage. The LF-LC doesn't appear to have a bumper to speak of. The fenders simply extend out and wrap around the front of the car. Even a very low-speed impact would probably do over $10,000 in damage.
Old 09-24-12, 09:33 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
1. LF-LC is approved
4. New GS based coupe will either be called SC or be spiritual successor to SC. This is not the LF-LC.

now THAT is something to look forward too...
Old 09-24-12, 09:39 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
It'll be interesting to see what a production front end will look like. As is, there's no way the front "bumper" would meet NHTSA standards.

They require both front and rear bumpers to survive low-speed impacts with zero damage. The LF-LC doesn't appear to have a bumper to speak of. The fenders simply extend out and wrap around the front of the car. Even a very low-speed impact would probably do over $10,000 in damage.
funny you mention that...my uncle got a tap on the rear of his LS460, basically enough to pop one side of the bumper off the bracket and leave it hanging. Nothing to serious either, no crash bar damage or anything of that sort when I checked it out.

However, the Lexus' repair bill costs to the at fault parties insurance...$9700. I couldn't explain it one bit, and I've repaired many fender benders in my time lol

as for the design structure...i'm sure they're fabbing up something to help withstand the imapcts. I'm sure that the full spindle grill from the top of the bumper to the bottom will be broken up with some incorparated design to accomodate license plates and so forth, definitely similar to the Audi grills im assuming
Old 09-24-12, 11:35 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Lexus Considering GS 350 Coupe

Heres an articel from late last year, but it still has good info.

Just the Facts:
  • Lexus is considering a coupe version of the soon-to-be-revealed 2013 Lexus GS 350 sedan.
  • The GS Coupe would compete with Audi A5/S5, BMW 650i and Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe.
  • It would be the spiritual successor to the SC 430, which Lexus recently discontinued.
  • It probably wouldn't hit the market before the spring of 2013.

SANTA MONICA, California — Next month Lexus will reveal the production version of its all-new 2013 GS 350, but the automaker is already seriously considering a coupe version of the sport sedan.

If Ben J. Mitchell, Lexus' product planner manager has his way, the GS Coupe will happen. "I'd like to do a coupe," he told Inside Line. "We're really trying to increase the emotional qualities of our brand. We want to emphasize exterior styling and dynamics." According to Mitchell, Lexus is at the moment involved in a "fairly active study of coupe opportunities."

According to Mike Michels, Lexus' external communications vice president, the brand does want to expand its lineup. "Lexus has aspirations to have a full model line and global reach," he told Inside Line during the same conversation.

Should the GS Coupe become reality, it would be the only two-door fixed-roof offering from Lexus not counting the $375,000 LFA. And it would be only the second two-door Lexus to offer more than two seats, the IS hardtop convertible being the first. It would also take a while to reach the marketplace. The GS Coupe probably wouldn't arrive before the spring of 2013.

The new coupe would also share its entire platform and rear-wheel-drive drivetrain with the GS 350 sedan. Power would therefore come from a 300-plus-horsepower 3.5-liter V6 and Lexus' tried-and-true six-speed automatic transmission. Pricing would probably start in the neighborhood of $50,000.

Of course, once automakers have a coupe they usually follow it up with a convertible. But neither Mitchell nor Michels would comment on a drop top.

Inside Line says: If Lexus wants to be considered an emotional, dynamic brand it needs a signature coupe. It also needs a GS F super sedan powered by the 5.0-liter V8 Lexus has in its IS F. Come on, Lexus. Build 'em.
http://www.insideline.com/lexus/gs-3...350-coupe.html
Old 09-24-12, 11:42 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I am surprised they are thinking that the car will still be this far from release. I would have assumed it would be much sooner
Old 09-27-12, 01:43 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks guys, as I found it to be more than a coincidence. The production version of the LF-LC might be finished within 6 months and then hopefully be testing by mid/late 2013. Anyway, I just found out that the LF-CC is the SC replacement and practically half GS/SC coupe(front, side profile) and half IS sedan(rear, rear half of side profile). The GS coupe is coming very soon it seems, but will there be an IS coupe as well or will they share it?

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
1. LF-LC is approved
Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
We already have a thread for this car.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...c-concept.html

But like 1SICKLEX said, the LF-LC is not a SC replacement; a GS coupe would fill the spot left by the SC.

Here are some different "facts" that I have heard/read from other sources.

1. Price will start from $120k+
2. Will be built on LS chassis
3. Will use the hybrid drivetrain from the LS 600h
4. Could be in showrooms as early as 2015.
5. Will become Lexus' next flagship sports car (LFA 500 unit run will end way before 2015)
6. Lexus has not official confirmed the LF-LC for production, they have only hinted and teased. But we all know they are going to built it.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 09-27-12 at 01:48 AM.
Old 09-27-12, 01:59 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

It would be helpful to know how each chassis, concept-car and final production cars are linked.

LF-CC : chassis? final production sedan will be? will share chassis with?
LF-LC : chassis? final production sedan will be? will share chassis with?

Here's my speculatory thoughts :

LF-CC : new GS/IS chassis. will end up as a de-facto IS-derived coupe but won't have IS nomenclature. will share chassis with GS/IS
LF-LC : all new chassis. will end up as SC coupe. will share chassis with new gen LS.
Old 09-27-12, 09:25 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

The latest Press Release from Lexus said the LF-CC is a mid-size coupe. That makes me think it will preview a new GS coupe / SC successor rather than a new IS coupe.

Quick Reply: Lexus SC Replacement Due in 2014/2015?