Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LF-CC Paris Motor Show

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-12, 05:46 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate the "curtains" on the spindle grill design front end...it seems so incomplete to me

overall though, looks pretty nice...the rear lights are a no for me as well. eager to see the production model and engine choices/specs
Old 09-17-12, 06:18 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DreamMaker
Looks like garbage compared to the original.
Exactly what is the original? If you thought this was the second iteration of the LF-LC Concept car, that debuts next month in Australia. This is a different car.

Overall I love it. As others have mentioned, I can see where, toned down for production, this car will look amazing. The proportions - long hood, sculpted greenhouse, short rear decklid - are absolutely beautiful and from some angles, even look a little British or Italian to me.

While this concept has a hybrid motor, the body work seems perfect for an IS F coupe with air ducts in the front bumper, hood and rocker panels.

I am very excited about this car - I love the concept
Old 09-17-12, 06:20 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wonder why the acre of chicken-wire on the grill? Does the 2.5 Stirling Cycle engine actually require an intake the size of a 747's engine, or is the car hollow all the way through and this is part of the air management system?
Old 09-17-12, 06:37 AM
venom21
Instructor

The production IS will look great once everything is toned down and the rear, dare I say, looks almost Jaguar-esque. I'm also excited for the new engine, Lexus really needs it in Europe.
Old 09-17-12, 06:58 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Wonder why the acre of chicken-wire on the grill? Does the 2.5 Stirling Cycle engine actually require an intake the size of a 747's engine, or is the car hollow all the way through and this is part of the air management system?
Yeah, I'm not feeling the chicken wire.
Old 09-17-12, 07:02 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

interesting, you have not seen new LS I guess? RX-F? LX? GS?
Old 09-17-12, 07:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

very nice! looking like an IS coupe to compete with bmw's 3, uh, 4 series.

has home run written all over it.
Old 09-17-12, 07:35 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So basically, the next gen IS coupe. Liking the feel of it.
Old 09-17-12, 07:36 AM
LexFather

Have you missed the last 2 years of Lexus concepts?

Old 09-17-12, 07:38 AM
LexFather

Okay I'm trying to clarify whats going on but what I am thinking and just read was this is indeed GS sized to be a GS/SC coupe but the styling on this concept is hinting also at the next gen IS which debuts at the NAIAS in January. What throws me off is this concept has the 2.5 hybrid engine that gets the 40 MPG rating in the ES and the GS in Europe gets the 2.5 with no hybrid powertrain.

The good news is one way or another, another coupe is coming to Lexus and far more affordable than the LFA

Old 09-17-12, 07:53 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Press Release

World Premiere of the Lexus LF-CC Concept Car at the 2012 Paris Motor Show

LF-CC displays the latest evolution of the L-finesse design language and signature spindle grille, to be reflected in future Lexus D-Segment vehicles

* Announces the market launch of a mid-size coupe in the near future

Features a new 2.5 litre full hybrid powertrain with class-leading CO2 emissions, which will be introduced soon in the Lexus model range
Following the unveiling of Lexus’ award-winning hybrid 2+2 sports coupe concept, the LF-LC at the 2012 Detroit Motor Show and its European debut at the Geneva Motor Show, a new, mid-sized coupe concept, the LF-CC makes its World Premiere at the 2012 Paris Motor Show.

The more compact, rear-wheel drive, full hybrid LF-CC already integrates various design cues from the LF-LC; a first illustration of how concept cars are truly influencing future Lexus models and, in this instance, future D-Segment derivatives.

Announcing the launch of a premium mid-sized coupe in the more accessible D-segment in the near future, the LF-CC reinforces Lexus’ commitment to create more engaging, inspirational vehicles through attractive design, a superior driving experience and advanced technologies.

EXTERIOR DESIGN

The LF-CC showcases the latest evolution of the company’s unique L-finesse design language, with the boldest yet interpretation of the signature Lexus ‘spindle’ grille. Framed by the bonnet lip, deep lower spoiler and powerfully projecting front fender tips, the grille mesh is encased in a deep, metal- finish surround and takes on a pronounced, 3D form.

A unique, 3 LED-projector headlamp design is housed in the narrow gap between the lower and upper fender surfaces, without a conventional, one-piece cover. Independent Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) are fully integrated into the upper bumper surface to complete this unique new design.

The broad lower fenders are aerodynamically sculpted to manage the flow of air to the engine bay and front brakes, whilst reinforcing the powerful, dynamic road presence of the new Lexus signature frontal design.

In profile, the powerful convex curve of the bonnet flows seamlessly through a steeply raked windscreen into a roofline which deliberately peaks towards the rear of the cabin to emphasise the traction available from the vehicle’s rear-wheel drive powertrain.

The bodywork is stretched tight between the front and rear fenders, and the rear fender is less pronounced than that of the front, reinforcing the concentration of vehicle weight over the driven wheels for maximum traction.

Further developing a design form initiated on the LF-LC concept and the high-performance LFA, the sharply sculpted form of an airflow regulating fin flows from underneath the side of the car and upwards through the rear wheel arch. This aerodynamic detail is designed to increase downforce over the driven wheels, further improving traction.

The airflow regulating fin merges with the falling roofline in a pronounced rear spoiler integrated within the boot lid, seamlessly fusing design and aerodynamic elements to give the vehicle its distinctive, coupe proportions.

To the rear, the full width bumper flows into the rear wheel arches to emphasise the LF-CC’s broad, powerful stance. Lexus-characteristic L-shaped combination lamps feature a layered, strongly three- dimensional design, and the lower, concave bumper section incorporates a full width spoiler to further enhance rear-wheel drive traction. The rear stop lamp is nicely integrated into the shark antenna.

The LF-CC is finished in a new, ‘Fluid Titanium’ exterior colour, a metallic finish with exceptionally high brilliance which combines sharp, bright highlighting with dark shaded surfaces to reinforce the powerful forms of the bodywork’s sculpted surfaces.

INTERIOR DESIGN

The LF-CC’s interior hints at the progressive luxury of a future Lexus model cabin layout, and represents a further development of the company’s HMI (Human Machine Interface) design philosophy.

The dashboard is divided into two distinct zones: an upper, Display Zone, with a multi-display screen located at an ideal distance for at-a-glance viewing, and a lower, Operation Zone, which allows access to the uniquely designed shift lever and an innovative touch tracer display for remote system control.

This clear division of zones creates a unique fusion of an airy, spacious cabin and a sporting cockpit which places the emphasis on a snug, highly focused driving environment. All functional driving components are consolidated in the driver’s seat surroundings, combining outstanding ergonomics with advanced HMI technologies.
The driver benefits from a low, highly focused driving position with a sporting, wide grip steering wheel, optimum pedal placement and high-visibility instrument dials. The touch tracer display for remote system control is located directly behind the shift lever for maximum comfort and ease of operation.

Coordinating with the ‘Fluid Titanium’ exterior colour, the seats, door panels and instrument binnacle hood are trimmed in a warm, elegant amber leather finish. The extensive use of metallic finishes and soft touch materials throughout reinforces the premium quality of the environment. The contrast between the exterior and interior colour schemes gives the car an elegant yet simultaneously sporting image.

ALL-NEW 2.5 LITRE FULL HYBRID POWERTRAIN

Representing a new Lexus powertrain for future production, the LF-CC is equipped with an all-new, highly efficient, 2.5 litre full hybrid powertrain delivering a combination of the engaging performance appropriate to a sporting, D-segment coupe and low CO2 emissions, targeted below 100 g/km. This powertrain will achieve class-leading energy efficiency, with more than 2 hp produced per gram of CO2.

This Lexus Hybrid Drive powertrain features an all-new, ultra-smooth running, 2.5 litre 4-cylinder petrol engine mated to a compact, high-output, water-cooled permanent magnet electric motor.

In addition to the petrol engine and electric motor, the LF-CC hybrid drive system further comprises a generator, a high-performance battery, a power split device which, via planetary reduction gears, combines and re-allocates power from the engine, electric motor and generator according to operational requirements, and a compact power control unit to govern the high speed interaction of the system components.

Adapted specifically for the hybrid powertrain, the all-new 2.5 litre, DOHC, 4-cylinder petrol engine benefits from several technical improvements. It adopts the Atkinson cycle and D-4S direct injection technology to optimise both the power and fuel-efficiency benefits of Lexus Hybrid Drive.

Lexus will introduce this new hybrid powertrain into its model range in the near future.

Lexus at the 2012 Paris Motor Show

Besides the world premiere of the new LF-CC, Lexus will also display the all-new LS 600h F SPORT in Western European premiere. The new LS flagship sedan reflects the bolder Lexus exterior and interior design direction, and brings enhanced driving dynamics, world-leading refinement, luxury and innovative advanced technology.

Introduced by Paul Van der Burgh, Director Lexus Europe, the Lexus Press Conference will be held at 8.45 AM CET on September 27 (hall 4, stand 120).
Old 09-17-12, 08:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Okay I'm trying to clarify whats going on but what I am thinking and just read was this is indeed GS sized to be a GS/SC coupe but the styling on this concept is hinting also at the next gen IS which debuts at the NAIAS in January. What throws me off is this concept has the 2.5 hybrid engine that gets the 40 MPG rating in the ES and the GS in Europe gets the 2.5 with no hybrid powertrain.

The good news is one way or another, another coupe is coming to Lexus and far more affordable than the LFA
It is IS Coupe.

As to the hybrid - this is for RWD vehicle, so it has to be re-engineered engine. That engine was simply not available before but will certainly go into GS300h as well.

This is what I was told previously would go into IS300h and be around 240hp... I doubted but the source was high up. Now I see they added D4S, so it is not same engine for sure...

Keep in mind that GR series engine always got 10% worse mpg in IS than in Camry, due to the rwd configuration and this engine will actually be 42 MPG (similar to CT200h), so take 10% for FWD/RWD and you get significant improvement due to new development of the hybrid powertrain and D4S.
Old 09-17-12, 08:11 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Does this mean the end of the IS250?
Old 09-17-12, 08:14 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
It is IS Coupe.

As to the hybrid - this is for RWD vehicle, so it has to be re-engineered engine. That engine was simply not available before but will certainly go into GS300h as well.

This is what I was told previously would go into IS300h and be around 240hp... I doubted but the source was high up. Now I see they added D4S, so it is not same engine for sure...

Keep in mind that GR series engine always got 10% worse mpg in IS than in Camry, due to the rwd configuration and this engine will actually be 42 MPG (similar to CT200h), so take 10% for FWD/RWD and you get significant improvement due to new development of the hybrid powertrain and D4S.
I am not 100% confident its an IS coupe. I do know the IS sedan will grow 2 inches in length but that is not mid-size at all. This is being described as "mid-size" yet D-segment. Its like something got lost in translation when they made the write-up.

I guess we will have to wait to see dimensions for this vehicle. From my understanding there will be a GS sized coupe and IS sized coupe.

Old 09-17-12, 08:24 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am not 100% confident its an IS coupe. I do know the IS sedan will grow 2 inches in length but that is not mid-size at all. This is being described as "mid-size" yet D-segment. Its like something got lost in translation when they made the write-up.

I guess we will have to wait to see dimensions for this vehicle. From my understanding there will be a GS sized coupe and IS sized coupe.
thats what I thought as well, but then I re-read the UK press release and it says "D segment" about 20 times in the article, and in UK, D-segment is IS. Plus it is not big in the size.

Quick Reply: Lexus LF-CC Paris Motor Show