Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Elimination of the Spare Tire

Old 09-15-12, 10:44 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
I'm on the fence about spares. I either want a full sized spare or none at all, my experience with mini-spares being really poor. The problem nowadays is access to the spare and the jack the factory provides. If I have a blowout on a freeway or interstate, I'm going to slow down and drive to an exit before even getting out to see the damage. Every month we have people killed here on Houston's network of freeways while attempting to change a tire on the shoulder of the road. Hour or traffic condition doesn't seem to matter, a drunk sees a car at the side of the road and while staring at it, drives straight into it.
...except here. On the highway, I would call roadside assist to change to the spare.
Old 09-15-12, 10:49 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Lil4X is right, carmakers don't fit run-flats as a cost-saving option - they actually cost more. They're fitted for safety reasons. One of the most dangerous situations you can find yourself in is trying to change a tyre by the side of a busy road, possibly at night and in poor visibility. If my wife is driving at night and gets a flat I want her to be able to continue her journey until she reaches a safe place.
Old 09-15-12, 10:54 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lil4X
So now I'm exhausted, filthy, and probably bloody. I've destroyed a tire, possibly a rim, a shirt and possibly a good pair of pants. Even though I always carry baby wipes for just such an occasion, my hands are dirty, if not slashed on some random bit of unfinished sheetmetal I happened to find while trying to get the wheel off the hoist and onto the hub. I'm late to my destination, mad at the auto club who told me they can be there in four hours, thus precipitating this whole mess, and look like I changed the oil and lubed the chassis while I was under there.

If you've ever seen a police chase on TV - one where the cops have spiked or shot the perp's tires and he's driving on rims for miles, you've probably arrived at the same conclusion I have . . . have a flat? Just keep going.
LOL interesting point of view. My reasoning for wanting one, is that sometimes I forget my phone and I would rather have a shot of driving to help on a spare than having to try and play Survivor Man. When driving at off peak hours or even during peak hours, I would rather depend on myself, than depending on the kindness of strangers.
If you drive a decent distance on a rim, you are replacing it, however if you fuss with a spare your odds of having to replace a rim is significantly less.
Old 09-15-12, 11:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Lil4X is right, carmakers don't fit run-flats as a cost-saving option - they actually cost more.
Maybe. They often DO cost more at tire-shops when you go to replace them...whether they do or not at the factory-assembly level, in bulk, is unclear. But that's clearly not the case with temps and donuts. You also may not be taking into account the cost-effect of the wheel itself. Most temps and donuts are mounted on thin, somewhat weak stamped-steel wheels that are made as cheaply as possible (one reason for their 50-MPH, 50-mile limits). Traditional full-size spares were usually (but not always) mounted on the same alloy or steel-wheels that were on the rest of the car. Traditional full-size spares/wheels can also be used for regular tire-rotation, thereby extending the lives of the other four tires some 20%....temps and donuts can't.
Old 09-15-12, 11:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Lil4X is right, carmakers don't fit run-flats as a cost-saving option - they actually cost more. They're fitted for safety reasons.
I would say that there are a mix of reasons as to they install run flats. I think fuel economy is first and foremost the main reason, two would be safety, three would be cost cutting (when they have a smaller spare for regular tires).

The Sienna has a spare for all models except the AWD version. This must be for fuel and mpg reason and then for space reasons to fit in the awd parts.

Cost cutting is the last reason why they would put run flats on car.
Old 09-15-12, 11:24 AM
VVRX
Pole Position

Traditional full-sized spares are also more cost effective considering a temp tire is pretty much useless after one tire change.
Old 09-15-12, 11:50 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Example of why a spare, preferably full size, should be provided. About 5 years ago I was on I-10 in bumper to bumper traffic, evacuating for a hurricane. I had 3 other people, 2 elderly women, in the car when my TPMS started beeping. I had driven past some road construction and evidently rolled over a sharp object. I waited until an exit and pulled over to inspect the tires. The rear passenger tire was flat and a little shredded from driving on it to the exit. I unpacked the trunk and pulled out the full sized spare (LS430) and changed the tire. I can't lie and tell you I didn't utter some foul language, but I was very grateful we were able to continue our journey without another interruption. It would have been impossible for Roadside Assisstance to get to us because of the traffic and other roadblocks along the way. I would have traded all of the electronic gagets or luxury items on that LS for a full size spare that day. Maybe even today.
Old 09-15-12, 12:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by VVRX
Traditional full-sized spares are also more cost effective considering a temp tire is pretty much useless after one tire change.
Ideally I would take a full size spare matching the original tires. That would be the best for a very long trip.
Old 09-15-12, 04:57 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the main things I had to have on my next car purchase was having a spare tire. Glad the 2012 crv has a spare. I originally wanted the rav4 sport but it no longer came with a spare tire so I immediately crossed it off my list. Nothing like going on a road trip and have a flat tire and have to rely on someone for help. I rather just change the tire and go one my way.

My M3 doesn't have a spare tire also and it doesnt come with run flats either. Thankfully it's just a fun vehicle for me that I don't use on any long distance road trips.
Old 09-15-12, 08:29 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I have run flats on my car, and there is not even a day goes by that I don't think about replacing it with regular tires since they ride very very bad! But since I can't find a spare tire solution with my car, I am just debating either get stuck with the stupid tires, or just take my chance and truely enjoy the better ride/handling a regular tire can provide.
Look into Bridgestones new 3g runflats... they are just as comfortable and perform as well as a normal tire...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=156
Old 09-15-12, 08:30 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by VVRX
how do you figure?

that 50 mile number doesn't mean you can only use it for 50 miles, it means you can only use it for 50 miles before you should stop, let it cool down, before you go again... it is a temperature thing
Old 09-15-12, 08:34 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Most temps and donuts are mounted on thin, somewhat weak stamped-steel wheels that are made as cheaply as possible (one reason for their 50-MPH, 50-mile limits).
Sorry, but this is not the case.

The reason those limits are there is because the temp tire is carrying as much weight as a normal tire, but with 1/2 the air volume, which is why they have a 60 psi inflation pressure. because of this weight, the tire gets very hot during service and 50 miles at 50 mph is the acceptable limit of heat the tire can take at one time. What many don't realize is that after 50 miles, you can stop, let the tire cool for a period of time (use some common sense, the hotter it is outside, the longer you should wait, the tire should not feel hot to the touch), and then drive again... so long as there is tread on the tire and cords aren't showing through anywhere, should be good...
Old 09-15-12, 09:26 PM
VVRX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
how do you figure?

that 50 mile number doesn't mean you can only use it for 50 miles, it means you can only use it for 50 miles before you should stop, let it cool down, before you go again... it is a temperature thing
Obviously,. I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-15-12, 10:08 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Look into Bridgestones new 3g runflats... they are just as comfortable and perform as well as a normal tire...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=156
Thanks, read through it and very impressed, so tire manufacturers are working on improved ROF tires! Too bad the Bridgestone run flat doesn't come in the size of my tires.
Old 09-15-12, 10:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

my old '06 explorer has a full size spare.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Elimination of the Spare Tire