Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Torn between 3 cars for my next car!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-12, 11:10 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torn between 3 cars for my next car!

I had my IS350 for about 4 years with about 60k miles on it. Daily driven, but I need a new car that is more exhilarating.

I pretty much narrowed it down to 3 different cars but I really can't decide which one to get. In no particular order:

1) 2013 335 M-sport
2) 2012 C63
3) 2014 M3

The 335 really caught my attention when it gets 33 MPG, which is the most in its class. The 8 gear automatic transmission is also a huge plus. And I really enjoy the low end torque, BMW community, aftermarket parts, etc. The 335 seems like the most suitable daily driven car out of the bunch. Only downside is that it is very similar to the IS350 and is one class below a C63 or M3. Reliability can be also a issue but I heard the newer 335 are much more reliable than the previous generation

The C63 is pretty self explanatory. A beast all around. 450HP v8 with probably the most comfortable interior, on par with the IS350. There isn't much negatives of the C63 except the terrible gas mileage. It gets about 13 MPG in the city and 19 on the highway. That is a huge difference compared to the IS350 (~26 MPG) or 335 (33MPG). The C class has been out for a while and I'm not sure how soon before they come out with the next generation AMG and C class.

The 2014 M3 won't be out until end of 2013. I don't know if I have enough patience to wait over a year. The engine will be a twin turbo inline 6, which should be similar to the 335 but definitely more beastly.
Old 09-12-12, 11:26 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

M gets my vote
Old 09-12-12, 11:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

335. Very solid performance, best mpg, and most comfortable daily driver
Old 09-13-12, 12:58 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by smokyis350
I had my IS350 for about 4 years with about 60k miles on it. Daily driven, but I need a new car that is more exhilarating.

I pretty much narrowed it down to 3 different cars but I really can't decide which one to get. In no particular order:

1) 2013 335 M-sport
2) 2012 C63
3) 2014 M3

The 335 really caught my attention when it gets 33 MPG, which is the most in its class. The 8 gear automatic transmission is also a huge plus. And I really enjoy the low end torque, BMW community, aftermarket parts, etc. The 335 seems like the most suitable daily driven car out of the bunch. Only downside is that it is very similar to the IS350 and is one class below a C63 or M3. Reliability can be also a issue but I heard the newer 335 are much more reliable than the previous generation
Look at this (from MotorTrend website):

F30 335i RWD 3586 lbs 300-hp/300-lb-ft with Adaptive M adjustable shocks and Sports-tuned suspension :
0-60 : 4.7s
figure eight-lap time : 25.7 sec
lateral acceleration :0.90 average g

GS350 F-Sport RWD 3834 lbs 306 hp/277 lb-ft with Rear Wheel Steering :
0-60 : 5.4s
figure eight-lap time : 25.4 sec
lateral acceleration :0.94 average g

Keep in mind that the 335 M-Sport is one class size smaller than the GS350 F-Sport, weighs 300lbs less, has superior power-to-weight ratio, has superior straight-line acceleration than the GS, yet pulls less average g and is slower on the handling circuit.

Links :
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...5i_first_test/
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...s/viewall.html

If you want an overall well rounded affordable car get the 335 M-Sport. But for all out handling/performance, the M3 and C63 will be better.

If you get the 335 M-Sport for pure performance, you'll be driving it with this thought : "my uncle with his family sedan ( the GS350 F-Sport) can lose me in the twisties."
Old 09-13-12, 02:54 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
If you get the 335 M-Sport for pure performance, you'll be driving it with this thought : "my uncle with his family sedan ( the GS350 F-Sport) can lose me in the twisties."
It all comes down to tires.

The 335i tested in that article is a Modern line with the basic 18" square wheels running 225 all season touring runflats. Pretty much the worst possible setup for grip and handling. The M-Sport comes stock with staggered 18"s running 225/255 summer ultra high-performance tires, and staggered 19"s are a $900 option. That's a HUGE difference.

What does the GS F-Sport come stock with? Staggered 19"s with summer ultra high-performance tires. If they're that close (0.3 seconds in the figure eight) with this massive discrepancy in available grip, the M-Sport will absolutely walk it.

If you want an overall well rounded affordable car get the 335 M-Sport. But for all out handling/performance, the M3 and C63 will be better.
This I agree with completely, though with the caveat that you'll be paying nearly $30k more for that extra performance. That's a BIG chunk of change within the same class. Whether it's worth it is up to the individual. For me the answer is no, but I'm well aware that for many, it's "absolutely".

Last edited by geko29; 09-13-12 at 02:57 AM.
Old 09-13-12, 04:02 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

The biggest problem with the 335i M-Sport is that it's not an M3, and if you've always sorta wanted an M3 like I have and are looking for something truly different, then there's no substitute. Would pass on the current C-class. It's tiny in comparison, and I think it's due for a redesign shortly. And yes the mileage is impressive with the new BMWs, but you'll constantly want to dip into the power all the time and will never achieve that. I've gotten 31-32 mpg in my E93 335i on straight highway trips behaving at 75 mph or less, but local driving I get around 17-18 not behaving. BMW seems to have gotten past their fuel pump issues. No chatter about that at all on the BMW forums anymore, so seems to be a thing of the past now.
Old 09-13-12, 06:24 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Go test drive a Cadillac CTS-V and report back.

New they are about 65-70k, you can pick up a CPO car for about 50-60k. Definitely within your budget. IMO that car just completely obliterates all your options in terms of speed, handling dynamics, room, and trunk space. It has 256 more hp than that 335i BMW and is about 10k more in terms of price new.
Old 09-13-12, 07:41 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
The biggest problem with the 335i M-Sport is that it's not an M3, and if you've always sorta wanted an M3 like I have and are looking for something truly different, then there's no substitute. Would pass on the current C-class. It's tiny in comparison, and I think it's due for a redesign shortly. And yes the mileage is impressive with the new BMWs, but you'll constantly want to dip into the power all the time and will never achieve that. I've gotten 31-32 mpg in my E93 335i on straight highway trips behaving at 75 mph or less, but local driving I get around 17-18 not behaving. BMW seems to have gotten past their fuel pump issues. No chatter about that at all on the BMW forums anymore, so seems to be a thing of the past now.
Mostly agree with you on all this, except that I would still prefer 335 enginer to current M3's. Not sure if the M-sport edition goes with M3 suspension, but if it does - that's a perfect package for me - M3 suspension and 335 engine.
As for the fuel pump issue - totally agree: haven't seen any complain posts on that for almost a year now, so must be totally resolved. I had two fuel pumps replaced myself, but since June of 2011 when I got the last one - no problems at all.
So, to me, out of three OP choices 335i M-sport would be the most suitable for every day driving and pricewise...
Old 09-13-12, 07:45 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
It all comes down to tires.

The 335i tested in that article is a Modern line with the basic 18" square wheels running 225 all season touring runflats. Pretty much the worst possible setup for grip and handling. The M-Sport comes stock with staggered 18"s running 225/255 summer ultra high-performance tires, and staggered 19"s are a $900 option. That's a HUGE difference.

What does the GS F-Sport come stock with? Staggered 19"s with summer ultra high-performance tires. If they're that close (0.3 seconds in the figure eight) with this massive discrepancy in available grip, the M-Sport will absolutely walk it.

M-Sport is basically a cosmetic package nowadays. Besides the staggered 18s, all the other performance goodies : M-adaptive suspension, Sport-Auto Transmission, Lowered Sports Suspension and the staggered 19s are added cost OPTIONS.

So basically you're saying this : just to be on par with a GS350 F-Sport in handling, an M-Sport 335i will have to tick all the performance options boxes and end up costing MORE than a brand new GS350 F-Sport. Ok......(Don't forget a GS is a mid-tier luxury car as opposed to the entry-level luxury class the 335i runs in.)

At that price, I'd might as well get a new/ lightly-used ISF and blow away the 335i M-Sport into the bushes. (And the used IS-F would still probably be more reliable than the 335i.)

Last edited by natnut; 09-13-12 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-13-12, 07:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

1) 2013 335 M-sport
2) 2012 C63
3) 2014 M3

The C63 is pretty self explanatory. A beast all around. 450HP v8 with probably the most comfortable interior, on par with the IS350. There isn't much negatives of the C63 except the terrible gas mileage. It gets about 13 MPG in the city and 19 on the highway. That is a huge difference compared to the IS350 (~26 MPG) or 335 (33MPG). The C class has been out for a while and I'm not sure how soon before they come out with the next generation AMG and C class.

The 2014 M3 won't be out until end of 2013. I don't know if I have enough patience to wait over a year. The engine will be a twin turbo inline 6, which should be similar to the 335 but definitely more beastly.
i would wait a little bit more to see more about M3 as well as next IS350/IS-F.

As to the BMW reliability, thats what people say every time new model is introduced - "much more reliable than xxx" and then after 3 years :P
Old 09-13-12, 08:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Agreed.....and also the S-series Audis. Both of them are, IMO, valid options.
Old 09-13-12, 08:49 AM
nvslm
Driver School Candidate

I would pick the 335 M-Sport from the choice above, but I would also look at the GS and the S5 before deciding which one.
Old 09-13-12, 12:31 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Look at this (from MotorTrend website):

F30 335i RWD 3586 lbs 300-hp/300-lb-ft with Adaptive M adjustable shocks and Sports-tuned suspension :
0-60 : 4.7s
figure eight-lap time : 25.7 sec
lateral acceleration :0.90 average g

GS350 F-Sport RWD 3834 lbs 306 hp/277 lb-ft with Rear Wheel Steering :
0-60 : 5.4s
figure eight-lap time : 25.4 sec
lateral acceleration :0.94 average g

Keep in mind that the 335 M-Sport is one class size smaller than the GS350 F-Sport, weighs 300lbs less, has superior power-to-weight ratio, has superior straight-line acceleration than the GS, yet pulls less average g and is slower on the handling circuit.

Links :
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...5i_first_test/
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...s/viewall.html

I don't really mind if a GS is faster than a 335. How often will I ever see a GS on the drag strip or at the track? If I wanted the fastest car for the price, I would go for a 30k Mustang GT that will tear apart the 335 or GS.

Like I said before, Lexus is not appealing to me anymore. Sad to say, Lexus is probably one of the most boring car I have ever owned. I had a Acura, Mercedes, BMW in the past.

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I guess it all comes down to a very good daily driven car or a very good weekend car. It seem like the new M3 will be 450HP inline 6 twin turbo charged. It wouldn't get anywhere close to the gas mileage of a 335 but I would bet it is still much better than the C63.

Originally Posted by Aron9000

New they are about 65-70k, you can pick up a CPO car for about 50-60k. Definitely within your budget. IMO that car just completely obliterates all your options in terms of speed, handling dynamics, room, and trunk space. It has 256 more hp than that 335i BMW and is about 10k more in terms of price new.
I am not really a fan of the CTS-V. Just a personal opinion. If I actually do go with a muscle car, I will consider the 2013 Mustang Shelby.

Originally Posted by lalexusgs
Mostly agree with you on all this, except that I would still prefer 335 enginer to current M3's. Not sure if the M-sport edition goes with M3 suspension, but if it does - that's a perfect package for me - M3 suspension and 335 engine.
As for the fuel pump issue - totally agree: haven't seen any complain posts on that for almost a year now, so must be totally resolved. I had two fuel pumps replaced myself, but since June of 2011 when I got the last one - no problems at all.
So, to me, out of three OP choices 335i M-sport would be the most suitable for every day driving and pricewise...
What? Really? You would prefer a 335 over a M3? If you go onto the BMW forums, most people would take a M3 over their 335 any day. If I had the money, I would definitely take the M3 any day over the 335. Just the same with Lexus. I would take a IS-F over the IS350.

M-Sport is basically a cosmetic package nowadays. Besides the staggered 18s, all the other performance goodies : M-adaptive suspension, Sport-Auto Transmission, Lowered Sports Suspension and the staggered 19s are added cost OPTIONS.

So basically you're saying this : just to be on par with a GS350 F-Sport in handling, an M-Sport 335i will have to tick all the performance options boxes and end up costing MORE than a brand new GS350 F-Sport. Ok......(Don't forget a GS is a mid-tier luxury car as opposed to the entry-level luxury class the 335i runs in.)

At that price, I'd might as well get a new/ lightly-used ISF and blow away the 335i M-Sport into the bushes. (And the used IS-F would still probably be more reliable than the 335i.)
Why are we comparing a GS350 to a 335? They aren't even direct competitors. Who cares.

Well of course a IS-F would blow away a 335. They aren't even in the same class. Talking about the same class, a C63 would definitely blow away a ISF.
Old 09-13-12, 12:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

C63 AMG Gets my vote. I'm big on the 6.2L V8. The soundtrack is incredible.
Old 09-13-12, 01:03 PM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What? Really? You would prefer a 335 over a M3? If you go onto the BMW forums, most people would take a M3 over their 335 any day. If I had the money, I would definitely take the M3 any day over the 335. Just the same with Lexus. I would take a IS-F over the IS350.
I say I would prefer 335i engine to the current M3 engine (not talking about upcoming M3 with turboed 6). It's well known across the forums that slightly tweaked 335i can beat an M3 on a straight line, and is like $10K less, and if with M suspension - probably can keep up with M3 on twisties. M3 is a beast on a track. However, as a daily driver in the city 335i would definitely be quicker and smoother and eats much less fuel than current M3's V8. But this is just my subjective opinion.

Quick Reply: Torn between 3 cars for my next car!