Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 gs f

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-12, 04:41 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I can only imagine just how expensive it will be.
Old 09-11-12, 04:50 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not if you are going to chip it. Performance packs makes little sense when you can get 100-150hp more from Renntech for 3 grand.
I was trying to stay with comparing stock to stock, what the max power the factory is willing to offer

Trying to stay away from being lame, comparing stock to modded.................then the NA 465 hp GS-F would sounds EXTREMELY lame being down 250 hp compare to a chipped 700 hp E63.

Last edited by BNR34; 09-11-12 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-11-12, 04:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by IceIridium
In this segment they NEED to be at least in the right ballpark to be taken seriously as a contender. Audi can get away with 420hp in an S6 because they still have an RS line they can dangle the carrot with even if they never make a RS6.

It's all in the badge perception. Lexus has nothing between the F-Sport (no hp gain) and F (M competitor) so to come out with a GS-F with 460hp they'd be laughed out of the stage even before any serious M or AMG buyers pick up a brochure. At 460hp even at thousands less than an M5 only the most devout Lexus performance fans will take one home. And honestly, how many of those exist in the grand scheme of things? It will never be the "dream car", the car that people put up as wallpapers on their work computers dreaming of the day they take delivery of one after the big bonus they'll get if they work their ***** off for the next few years. When you get to this segment it's all about show-offey numbers and the fact their big sedan can go faster than yours, even more so in this segment than the M3/C63/IS-F group. Unless there's a huge weight advantage to the GS-F you'd be able to show off all you want UNTIL the day your neighbor or co-worker drives in with an M5 or E63. That aspect is a huge part of what gives the M5 it's allure. Lexus fans will bark "reliability" all we want but reliability isn't sexy. Reliability doesn't sell posters and most importantly doesn't make people with wads of cash drool in the showroom.

CTS-V owners would laugh. Even C63's with AMG performance packs would be able to heartily chuckle at the GS-F. Lexus needs better numbers or they're doomed to fail in this arena.
lol. what are you talking about? M5, in a good year, sells 200 per MONTH, WORLDWIDE.

Who exactly is going to laugh?

I bet GS-F will be closer to the price of well optioned 550i than M5... and heck, looking at GS350 vs 535i, it could drive better too.
Old 09-11-12, 04:53 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

All I can say is YES!!!!! Bring it. The 4GS chassis with that level of power and refinement will be phenomenal. If you're listening, Lexus, you have a few serious CL members that would put a deposit down right now on a GSF. Can't wait.
Old 09-11-12, 05:11 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The article was saying something about beating M5/E63/RS6, but 461HP is little low comparing with the competition, especially with the rivals has forced induction which offer flat torque curve. But a 461HP from a Lexus besides the LFA is very very impressive!

Hope the GS F will come in with a lot less weight and better handling than the rest. I am getting excited for this!

Wondering how much they would priced it for, 70K?

Last edited by blacksc400; 09-11-12 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-11-12, 05:11 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
lol. what are you talking about? M5, in a good year, sells 200 per MONTH, WORLDWIDE.
So it sells that number with its well-respected reputation and numbers. How many GS-F's do you think will sell worldwide with 460hp and no history? I've already seen about 4 or so new M5's on the road and delivery only started a month or so ago I believe. And I don't even drive by the rich areas of my town very much.
Who exactly is going to laugh?
Non-conventional Lexus buyers. Car magazines reviewers. Your neighbor with a last-gen M5 that can still spank you without trying that hard.
I bet GS-F will be closer to the price of well optioned 550i than M5... and heck, looking at GS350 vs 535i, it could drive better too.
If their target is the 550i they should name it the GS500 F-Sport instead of a GS-F. As it is with the current rumor, even at thousands off the M5 MSRP it WILL inevitably be compared with the M5 and E63 and the track numbers will be far off both.
Old 09-11-12, 05:23 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The last comparsion between the M5, E63 and S6, the least horsepower Audi wins. So power is not everything. But I would still like more HP to brag about!
Old 09-11-12, 05:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

So it sells that number with its well-respected reputation and numbers. How many GS-F's do you think will sell worldwide with 460hp and no history? I've already seen about 4 or so new M5's on the road and delivery only started a month or so ago I believe. And I don't even drive by the rich areas of my town very much.

Non-conventional Lexus buyers. Car magazines reviewers. Your neighbor with a last-gen M5 that can still spank you without trying that hard.

If their target is the 550i they should name it the GS500 F-Sport instead of a GS-F. As it is with the current rumor, even at thousands off the M5 MSRP it WILL inevitably be compared with the M5 and E63 and the track numbers will be far off both.
I think GS-F will sell a lot better for 85k than for 110k.

I bet if you got M5, you would carry few copies of magazine showing how great your car is... and then you read this and what happens? Mindblown! lol.
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...audi-s6-page-4

I have yet to see anyone laughing about S6, and it is 40hp less than GS-F.

As to the people thinking it would be lightweight...maybe compared to M5, but with V8, bigger tires, bigger brakes, it would be at least 4000lbs car.

p.s. M division sells between 14k and 22k cars per year, including SUVs, coupes, sedans, worldwide. Apperantly half of them are in non-rich areas of your town.
Old 09-11-12, 06:24 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I can't wait. I wasn't too fond of the 3rd and 4th gen GS, but this GS-F may be the missing link between the Original bad boy 2nd Gen and God himself.
Old 09-11-12, 06:34 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Although out of my price range, i am looking forward to seeing this beast paired with the IS F. Nice work, lex!
Old 09-11-12, 06:57 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

461 hp = pointless = not interested at all for me ...... I hope it doesn't get ridiculed too badly ......
Old 09-11-12, 07:38 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NewSpace
All I can say is YES!!!!! Bring it. The 4GS chassis with that level of power and refinement will be phenomenal. If you're listening, Lexus, you have a few serious CL members that would put a deposit down right now on a GSF. Can't wait.
Insideline's latest blog entry on long term GS also mentions a GS F possibly coming.
Old 09-11-12, 07:59 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

In this segment they NEED to be at least in the right ballpark to be taken seriously as a contender. Audi can get away with 420hp in an S6 because they still have an RS line they can dangle the carrot with even if they never make a RS6.

It's all in the badge perception. Lexus has nothing between the F-Sport (no hp gain) and F (M competitor) so to come out with a GS-F with 460hp they'd be laughed out of the stage even before any serious M or AMG buyers pick up a brochure. At 460hp even at thousands less than an M5 only the most devout Lexus performance fans will take one home. And honestly, how many of those exist in the grand scheme of things? It will never be the "dream car", the car that people put up as wallpapers on their work computers dreaming of the day they take delivery of one after the big bonus they'll get if they work their ***** off for the next few years. When you get to this segment it's all about show-offey numbers and the fact their big sedan can go faster than yours, even more so in this segment than the M3/C63/IS-F group. Unless there's a huge weight advantage to the GS-F you'd be able to show off all you want UNTIL the day your neighbor or co-worker drives in with an M5 or E63. That aspect is a huge part of what gives the M5 it's allure. Lexus fans will bark "reliability" all we want but reliability isn't sexy. Reliability doesn't sell posters and most importantly doesn't make people with wads of cash drool in the showroom.

CTS-V owners would laugh. Even C63's with AMG performance packs would be able to heartily chuckle at the GS-F. Lexus needs better numbers or they're doomed to fail in this arena.
well said

Originally Posted by spwolf

I have yet to see anyone laughing about S6, and it is 40hp less than GS-F.
Because it's only S6 not a RS6.

Last edited by pavelekPL; 09-11-12 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-11-12, 08:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pavelekPL
well said

Because it's only S6 not a RS6.
so, if Lexus had GS-FRSRT with 950hp for 500k, then GS-F with 461hp would be fine?

gotta love magazine racers.
Old 09-11-12, 08:33 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was there ever any doubt? ? Personally, I never doubted that a GS F was coming. It was only a question of when.

Originally Posted by BNR34
Wake me up when it is in the showroom with a window sticker on it

Then again, I want a LS-F, not GS-F.................so another 10 years for a LS-F?
When you stop with the eye rolls and consistently sarcastic and baiting remarks against Lexus, than maybe the car gods will decide to bestow good karma and debut the GS F just for you .

Quick Reply: 2014 gs f