Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Second-hand BMWs rank highest in staying off road for repairs

Old 09-11-12, 05:17 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ You read my mind man, I am torned between the DWS and the Pilot Sport right now.
Old 09-13-12, 05:40 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
^^^ You read my mind man, I am torned between the DWS and the Pilot Sport right now.
Do it! Seriously, the only bad thing I can say about the DWS's is that because the tread is so soft, they thump lightly for a 2-3 miles after the car hasn't been driven for several days because they flat-spot temporarily when they sit too long. The original ExtremeContact had a weak sidewall that was prone to punctures/blowouts (thankfully I never had one), but this was corrected in the DWS.
Old 09-13-12, 06:11 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I just bought a 1992 SC300 with 61k miles to drive every day, long trips, plan to own it for the next 4 to 6 years, maybe longer if I really like it. I didn't think twice about reliability or operating costs, I knew that it was well maintained, and would run for another 150k miles before needing to throw a ton of $$$$ at it.

Would I ever buy a 20 year old Benz or BMW with the same intentions, to drive it with minimal fuss for 5 years and 100k miles??? HELL NO!!!!! Those cars do have their problems, and they CAN be stupid expensive to fix.
Old 09-13-12, 06:17 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I think a lot of this is due to so many bmw's being leased, and people treat them like crap.

Lots of people talk about buying a car off lease but I wouldn't be caught dead buying any car off lease, unless I knew the owner and liked how they drove it!
i agree with this..

seems like used cars are always a guessing game due to history..
our conv bmw.. which is 7 years old.. had same amount of issues as any other cars in the family.. (not much for all.. all bought new)

hit or miss...

also i think it's the tolerance level of the owner.. bmw drivers seem to be more **** and sensitive.. so they take the car to the shop even for "little" worn things... and trade the car in when the new car feeling wears out by 5yr/75k mile range.
15 year old, 200k toyota owners who says "my car still drives new.. toyota's last forever..".. have you been in those cars? seats are worn, the suspension is like a bouncy buick, transmission slips, CEL is on, etc.... things that a typical BMW owner will not accept..

Last edited by joedaddy1; 09-13-12 at 06:24 AM.
Old 09-13-12, 06:38 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
15 year old, 200k toyota owners who says "my car still drives new.. toyota's last forever..".. have you been in those cars? seats are worn, the suspension is like a bouncy buick, transmission slips, CEL is on, etc.... things that a typical BMW owner will not accept..

I wouldn't say that. Our old family car, a 2000 Avalon with 230k on it runs like a new car, shifts like a new car, the driver's seat sits like a new car. The interior even looks like a 1-2 year old car due to the cloth seats holding up better than leather and we're not a bunch of slobs who eat in the car(mom was **** enough to put rubber mats all over the carpet). No cracked dash pad, broken interior bits or anything like that. Hell even the paint looks nice and this is a car that has sat outside in the sun for 12 years at work. It even rides nice on the original shocks, granted it kind of has that disconnected steering feel like your grandpa's Sedan Deville, but it was kind of like that when new as well.

That car has totally changed my perceptions on how long a car should last and has made me a real believer in Toyota quality. Despite its age/miles, its still a nice car that I'd be proud to own.
Old 09-13-12, 01:04 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I wouldn't say that. Our old family car, a 2000 Avalon with 230k on it runs like a new car, shifts like a new car, the driver's seat sits like a new car. The interior even looks like a 1-2 year old car due to the cloth seats holding up better than leather and we're not a bunch of slobs who eat in the car(mom was **** enough to put rubber mats all over the carpet). No cracked dash pad, broken interior bits or anything like that. Hell even the paint looks nice and this is a car that has sat outside in the sun for 12 years at work. It even rides nice on the original shocks, granted it kind of has that disconnected steering feel like your grandpa's Sedan Deville, but it was kind of like that when new as well.

That car has totally changed my perceptions on how long a car should last and has made me a real believer in Toyota quality. Despite its age/miles, its still a nice car that I'd be proud to own.
I agree, I wouldn't say that either.

My uncle's 99' RX300 has 380k miles on it, and it still runs like new, shifts are as crisp as ever and the interior is still great not a single tear in the leather. The exterior still looks great as well, you'd have an extremely difficult time telling the vehicle has 380k miles on it. No CEL's or anything.

My RX300 almost has 200k miles on it, and it too looks like new and has no issues. It drives like the day it came off the showroom floor. I regularly have people compliment my car, and they find it hard to believe that it has 188k miles on it.
Old 09-14-12, 11:05 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I find it interesting that people assume that just because a car is leased that it is not properly maintained. I used to lease all my cars because I got a company allowance for use of it at work. This allowance was taxable, so it made $ sense to lease. Besides, the company required that I use a car that was less than 3 years old. During all the time I was leasing cars I always had them maintained by the dealer to manufacturer requirements. I would have had no problem in recommending the purchase of one of these off-lease cars to friends or family.

I seriously doubt that the relatively poor reliability of BMW used cars is due in significant part to the high percentage of leases. While much of the problem is design/quality related, the fact that these are marketed as high performance cars means that they have likely been driven hard by their initial owners. The majority of Lexus sales are RX or ES models which are usually driven more sedately.
Steve
Old 09-16-12, 05:17 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
I agree, I wouldn't say that either.

My uncle's 99' RX300 has 380k miles on it, and it still runs like new, shifts are as crisp as ever and the interior is still great not a single tear in the leather. The exterior still looks great as well, you'd have an extremely difficult time telling the vehicle has 380k miles on it. No CEL's or anything.

My RX300 almost has 200k miles on it, and it too looks like new and has no issues. It drives like the day it came off the showroom floor. I regularly have people compliment my car, and they find it hard to believe that it has 188k miles on it.
I hate to say it but I would bet you $8 that your car drove differently when it was new over 10 years ago and driven 200k less. Changes have been gradual so you might have not noticed. Teehee

380k n 14 years old? Drives like new? Yep, my point exactly
Old 09-16-12, 02:44 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
I hate to say it but I would bet you $8 that your car drove differently when it was new over 10 years ago and driven 200k less. Changes have been gradual so you might have not noticed. Teehee

380k n 14 years old? Drives like new? Yep, my point exactly
You're right, it does drive differently. It's finally broken in with 200k miles .

Yep, drives LIKE new. Didn't say it was new. LOL, come drive it for yourself anytime you are near the Big Apple.