Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Second-hand BMWs rank highest in staying off road for repairs

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-12, 09:45 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Duh.............even non car enthusiast knows BMW breaks down all the time
Old 09-11-12, 09:49 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this takes the term "if you want to play, you gotta pay" to the extreme... I guess I'll have to just continue driving my "boring" Lexus and Acuras every day without issue. Darn... I miss visiting the dealers and getting my refreshments and seeing the new models in showroom...
Old 09-11-12, 09:54 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
But Infiniti leases even more aggressively than BMW and the cars are reliable. So all people that lease can't afford those cars either? Thats rather ironic since most low monthly payment leases require Tier 1 credit and a sizeable downpayment. We learned 90% of BMWs/Infinitis in NYC for example are leased. 85% of 7 series models are leased. I doubt its b/c they cannot afford it, its a 7 series.

Many people lease for business/tax write-offs. For BMWs its damn near a "no-brainer" as people simply buy it, get told when to get an oil change, brakes, then return it before the warranty. I do agree it seems to attract tons more non-enthusiasts than anything, they make it "simple and easy" to buy and own and its a "throw away" car as stated before in this thread.

Not sure how people avoided maintenance when it was free/included in the price, wouldn't that void the warranty?.
Your hilarious dude, I think when you figure out the difference between a weekly paycheck and money in the bank the world will be a different place, I know all about how Luxury cars in NY/NJ are leased, everything else your saying just sounds like bits and pieces from little things you read on internet articles
Old 09-11-12, 09:54 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
this takes the term "if you want to play, you gotta pay" to the extreme... I guess I'll have to just continue driving my "boring" Lexus and Acuras every day without issue. Darn... I miss visiting the dealers and getting my refreshments and seeing the new models in showroom...
I am with you, as must as I am attracted to the latest offerings from AMG, M and RS, I still prefer my hassle free boring Lexus, because hassle free is the ultimate luxury. Unless I got rich enough to own multiple BMWs so one always works and I got a personal assistant that take the car in for me. I hate dealing with car issue every few weeks, regardless of how hot that car is! I take that back, I would put up with hassle for a Ferrari, but not for any BMW So there is a point when a car is hot enough, the hassle is worth it
Old 09-11-12, 10:00 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

But Infiniti leases even more aggressively than BMW and the cars are reliable.
Infinitis are not anymore reliable then a BMW...............it is just as bad if you ask me.
Old 09-11-12, 10:00 AM
daelo74
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who are the idiots that keep saying germans are known for engineering? Yeah, engineering a car that can be owned for 3 years and 55K miles and quickly get rid of it before the warranty runs out.
Old 09-11-12, 10:17 AM
lyyca
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why I own a Mercedes. I mean I do like BMW's too. They look nice and perform well but no thanks. Would never consider buying one. Maybe I would lease one in the future. So the way how I see it, it's either Lexus or Mercedes for me when it comes to car purchasing. Lexus + Mercedes = Bi-winning!
Old 09-11-12, 10:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by daelo74
Who are the idiots that keep saying germans are known for engineering? Yeah, engineering a car that can be owned for 3 years and 55K miles and quickly get rid of it before the warranty runs out.
Those who claim that the Germans have good chassis-engineering are not idiots....they are usually stating a fact. What the Germans do lack, though, in general, is quality-control for their electronics, which, reliability-wise, often rank among the worst.
Old 09-11-12, 10:34 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Your hilarious dude, I think when you figure out the difference between a weekly paycheck and money in the bank the world will be a different place, I know all about how Luxury cars in NY/NJ are leased, everything else your saying just sounds like bits and pieces from little things you read on internet articles
It is "You're" not "Your". That is hilarious.

You complain about what people "read" on the internet and has anyone met you? Have you ever posted a pic of your car? So who is the one "just posting on the internet and rehashing internet logic"? Rants on rappers, leasing etc are just that. People lease, get over it. There are fleet sales, get over it. That is their decision with their money. It does not mean they cannot afford the car. Otherwise we should ALL buy cars cash with no financing. And that doesn't mean its a great financial move either since its a depreciating asset and you will own it and have to take care of it.

Buying a car doesn't mean ****. Leasing could very well be a way to save significant money to that person in tax breaks let alone what their needs are. Mind you I purchase my cars, I don't lease but I might lease the next one.

So buying is not always better, what if that person puts 10k down with a 22% interest rate? In this very thread is shows that buying a BMW is probably not a good idea since values plummet due to worries on maintenance.

Old 09-11-12, 10:55 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
are new fuel pumps finally fixed or will he still have to replace it after certain miles?

as to resale value, this article is from the UK.... I dont think BMW ever won satsifaction survey, so I am not so sure how good they are with handling small repairs...
From my understanding, the new supplier makes much better FPs. Most of the aftermarket 335i cars have them and there's a much extended warranty on them, given for free as result of a lawsuit.

Vishnu/FFTEC are squeezing over 600whp on the stock fuel system with room to expand. If that isn't stress-testing, I don't know what is
Old 09-11-12, 10:57 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
I would never advise anyone to buy a used BMW, if you do buy used search long and hard, pre-owned means looks and sounds like new, I have seen cars that never had the oil changed, ran through a car wash once a week and they looked new, granted I replaced the engines on several of those, back home in NY/NJ the dealers only sell pre-owned with no more then 20k on the odometer.
In general, I won't really recommend them either unless there's a CPO and the car is in good shape. I bought a CPO for mine and I looked at A LOT of cars before I settled on this one. The previous owner was a performance shop owner. He put mods on it and babied the car. It had low miles for an 07. I'm keeping the miles down and keeping the car in ultra-clean condition (except I only clean the rims once every other week instead of every week; those damn brake pads make so much dust).

I intend on it being pristine when I trade it in on a 2015 Mustang (assuming the Aston Martin look with a DI 302 motor and IRS).
Old 09-11-12, 11:06 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

In this very thread is shows that buying a BMW is probably not a good idea since values plummet due to worries on maintenance.
I'll be the first to admit that. Though for those of us that do our own work, it's a helluva deal. Dealers want used BMWs off their lots and will throw around some good bargains to get rid of them. What's really funny is there are a lot of used 335i cars after lease that still have their piggyback or ECU flash without many people knowing any better.
Old 09-11-12, 02:11 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Lease German, Buy Japanese

What's so hard to understand? LOL
Old 09-11-12, 03:27 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Originally Posted by Bean
Sounds like someone was taking you for a ride. Perhaps you need to do your due diligence before claiming this as normal.

My Michelin Pilot SuperSports are pretty much the BEST tires you can get for a street vehicle and they cost NOWHERE NEAR that amount of money.

And an alignment? It's not any different from other vehicles.
Goodyear Excellence ROF 245/40/20, 480.00 list price + installation = 534.00 out of door.

Michelins SuperSport is the best tire and it cost way less than the stupid run flat tire. I am going to change my whole set to Michelins Pilot Sport AS ( I want all season tire ), and it will only cost me around 1300 dollars instead of 2200.00 for the run flats.

Last edited by blacksc400; 09-11-12 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-11-12, 05:01 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Goodyear Excellence ROF 245/40/20, 480.00 list price + installation = 534.00 out of door.
You're right, that's absolutely brutal. I can find it for maybe $40 cheaper, but still crazy expensive.

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I am going to change my whole set to Michelins Pilot Sport AS ( I want all season tire ), and it will only cost me around 1300 dollars instead of 2200.00 for the run flats.
Also check out the Continental Extreme Contact DWS. I ran them on my E46 for about 20k miles (until I sold it), and their predecessor (lacking the DWS) for about 45k miles. Best handling AS tires I've ever driven. They're also a couple bucks cheaper than the Michelins, and I believe they have a longer warranty as well.

Quick Reply: Second-hand BMWs rank highest in staying off road for repairs