Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hummer H3 takes one for the team.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-12, 05:45 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hummer H3 takes one for the team.

A southern Alberta man who is credited with saving four children from being struck by a car says he was acting on instinct when he put his Hummer between them and an alleged distracted driver.

"I could just see, I just had the feeling that something bad was going to happen if something wasn't to stop that vehicle," said Darrell Krushelnicki from Taber.

"There was really no one else, I just had to do it. I had to do what I did."

Krushelnicki, 46, says he was pulling out of the the Bonnie Doon Shopping Centre in Edmonton around 4:25 p.m. Friday when he saw the four children stepping out into the crosswalk.

He says most vehicles stopped for the pedestrians but noticed that one, a silver Pontiac, wasn't slowing down.

Police say the driver was apparently using his cellphone.

Krushelnicki says he pulled his Hummer into the road, colliding with the side of the car and pushing it to the side before it could reach the crosswalk.

"The timing and everything did not seem in favour of a good result. So, I just did what did," he said.

Krushelnicki wasn't injured and says the other driver seemed shaken but not seriously hurt.

The children, who police say range between three and 16 years old, were not injured.

Krushelnicki says he's surprised by the amount of attention the crash has received, saying that he doesn’t think he did anything extraordinary.

"I don't feel like a hero at all. I believe anyone would have done that."

Police have charged a 23-year-old man with dangerous driving.
Courtesy of CBC

This is why I do not talk on the phone and why talking on the phone should be banned (even talking via car speaker or bluetooth earpiece.

There will probably never be a video of this, seeing most lights in Canada do not have cameras.
Old 09-08-12, 06:32 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Sounds like he just needed an excuse to get rid of that gas guzzling clunker and found an opportunity for it. Anyone with half a brain would just use the horn to get the attention of both the distracted driver and pedestrians.
Old 09-08-12, 06:39 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
This is why I do not talk on the phone and why talking on the phone should be banned (even talking via car speaker or bluetooth earpiece.
There are definitely people more capable of this than others... some can, some fail miserably...
Old 09-08-12, 06:51 PM
JessePS

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
There are definitely people more capable of this than others... some can, some fail miserably...
Guess we should start having driver exams for people who want to drive while talking on the phone.

One exam for people who choose not to use the phone (get caught with that license and you are on the phone, lose your license for a year) and exam two would be for anyone would want to talk on the phone while driving (must pass the exam to get the license, if you fail you are stuck with no license seeing you choose to go that route and can not revert to the other license). I know I am a ball buster, but hey might save some lives.
Old 09-08-12, 06:56 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
Guess we should start having driver exams for people who want to drive while talking on the phone.

One exam for people who choose not to use the phone (get caught with that license and you are on the phone, lose your license for a year) and exam two would be for anyone would want to talk on the phone while driving (must pass the exam to get the license, if you fail you are stuck with no license seeing you choose to go that route and can not revert to the other license). I know I am a ball buster, but hey might save some lives.
seriously though, some people get so distracted in conversation, even a wireless headset or hands free device and it is impossible for them to maintain concentration on the road, and it even takes priority over driving... for others, no big deal...
Old 09-08-12, 07:33 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Sounds like he just needed an excuse to get rid of that gas guzzling clunker and found an opportunity for it. Anyone with half a brain would just use the horn to get the attention of both the distracted driver and pedestrians.
I doubt in this case honking the horn would have worked. Good that police didn't charge the hummer but the distracted driver. However, I wonder how insurance is going to handle it, as he is technically at fault.
Old 09-08-12, 08:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

My hats off to the Hummer owner. It's a hard choice to make in a matter of seconds, the whole flight or fight
Old 09-08-12, 09:19 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Anyone with half a brain would just use the horn to get the attention of both the distracted driver and pedestrians.
So as he hits his horn the pontiac driver looks up to see the children he is hitting read the entire article next time before posting half brain comments
Old 09-08-12, 09:30 PM
Ls400RR
Rookie

Good man!!!!
Old 09-09-12, 06:25 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by xsh0tya
I doubt in this case honking the horn would have worked. Good that police didn't charge the hummer but the distracted driver. However, I wonder how insurance is going to handle it, as he is technically at fault.
I dunno, in this case I'd really like to see a reconstruction of the crash event so we can get a better idea of what actually happened. I have to say that I really wouldn't recommend this type of action generally, because you just never know what's going to happen. Obviously, pedestrians are rightfully what are to be most avoided in a vehicular collision (i.e., if you have to hit something, you hit a car rather than a pedestrian), but it seems iffy that the H3 opted to ram into the side of the moving car. That action could very well have caused the other car to veer out of control and cause a greater accident involving other pedestrians.
Old 09-09-12, 04:02 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
So as he hits his horn the pontiac driver looks up to see the children he is hitting read the entire article next time before posting half brain comments
How do you figure that driver would look up see the pedestrians and not hit the brakes? That's a pretty big assumption for someone who didn't see the actual incident take place....
Old 09-09-12, 04:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

in the u.s. the hummer driver would be charged, then sued, and the pontiac driver would not be charged, and make a bundle from the lawsuit.
Old 09-09-12, 07:20 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gengar
I dunno, in this case I'd really like to see a reconstruction of the crash event so we can get a better idea of what actually happened. I have to say that I really wouldn't recommend this type of action generally, because you just never know what's going to happen. Obviously, pedestrians are rightfully what are to be most avoided in a vehicular collision (i.e., if you have to hit something, you hit a car rather than a pedestrian), but it seems iffy that the H3 opted to ram into the side of the moving car. That action could very well have caused the other car to veer out of control and cause a greater accident involving other pedestrians.
Yup, seems odd that he would have enough time to ram the other vechicle from the side and not pull out and get hit himself. I agree this could have turned out horrible, and he is being rewarded for the risk he took to save the kids. If the kids would have been hit as well, he wouldn't be called a hero.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
in the u.s. the hummer driver would be charged, then sued, and the pontiac driver would not be charged, and make a bundle from the lawsuit.
I agree we in Canada are not so sue happy and "try" to promote "doing the right thing". Doesn't always work out so well but more times than not, hopefully.
Old 09-10-12, 02:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

cool story. What a guy !!!
Old 09-10-12, 04:39 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It points up the increasing hazard of distracted driving. All of the "hands-free" technology in the world doesn't change the fact that the driver's concentration needs to be focused on the evolving situation down the road. You can't phone, text, or otherwise fiddle with buttons without lending that activity some part of your mental focus. That part, even a small one, may kill or maim either you or someone else one day. I know I'm bad about that too, but I'm learning to let messages go to storage, phone calls to voice mail, and even playing with the traffic and GPS systems wait until I can pull into a parking lot, stop and direct my full attention to these tasks.

There can be just too much going on in the "cockpit" of your car today to allow you to prioritize and manage the information before you. In moments you can become so "task saturated", to use the combat pilot's term, that you overlook something deadly. Too many aviators, and I fear drivers too, have succumbed to what crash investigators call a "helmet fire".