Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

August 2012 Auto Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-12, 01:19 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did anyone else notice that Caddy did 1k of fleet sales last month? I haven't typically paid attention to those numbers so I don't have anything to compare them to, but do MB, Lexus, BMW, etc do fleet sales?

For Cadillac...
August 2012 Total Sales: 14,704
August 2012 Retail Sales: 13,726

YTD Total Sales: 90,933 (9.5% increase over 2011)
YTD Retail Total Sales: 85,803 (2.4% increase over 2011)
Old 09-04-12, 01:27 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pman6
RE: BMW

No reason to get all excited. 4GS had no effect on 5 series sales.

5 series numbers looked like a shortage, so I googled it to get some confirmation.

http://online.wsj.com/public/page/auto-industry.html

Just an odd month. Will be back to 5000 soon.
I don't know that I buy that 100%. BMW got slapped last month for marking all kinds of vehicles as sold mostly to (hopefully) put up better numbers than Mercedes. My theory is that these vehicles then could not be counted into August sales so the numbers now look skewed negatively...just like they were positively skewed in July. Regardless, it was an off month.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...es-report-says

BMW May Have Padded US July Sales to Edge Mercedes

BMW AG may have inflated its flagship brand's July sales figures to edge rival Mercedes-Benz for the month as the best-selling luxury brand in the United States, The Wall Street Journal reported today.

On July 31, the day before industrywide July sales figures were reported, BMW offered dealers discounts of as much as $7,000 per 2012 vehicle if the dealers reported the vehicles as sold on that day, according to today's Journal.

Hundreds of vehicles that were reported as sold are still on dealership lots being advertised for sale as new, according to the report. BMW division's July sales figure included demo vehicles, which are used for test drives, company spokesman Kenn Sparks said.

Sparks declined to say how many of the July sales were demo vehicles because the company doesn't provide that information publicly.

BMW division reported selling 21,297 vehicles in July, 1,986 more than Mercedes. Mercedes' total does not include sales of the Sprinter commercial van. It's unclear how BMW division's sales were affected by the demo sales.

According to the Journal, the 7 series and the 3 series were eligible for the demo discount. BMW reported selling 1,696 7-series sedans in July, and the automaker offered a $7,000 discount on the car on July 31, according to the report. In June, BMW reported selling 539 7-series units.

Similarly, BMW reported selling 7,653 3-series units last month, up from 6,740 of the cars it reported selling in June. It placed as much as $3,200 in demo discounts on the 3 series, the newspaper reported.

The 3 series has been BMW's best-selling car this year, with 54,415 reported sold though July, an increase of 1,913 units, or 4 percent, from the first seven months of 2011.

The 1-day discounts on July 31 started at $2,500 for the 528i and went up to the $7,000 for the 7 series, according to the report.

Through the 1st 7 months of the year, BMW division reported 147,801 vehicles sold, 111 units behind Mercedes, which reported sales of 147,912, excluding the Sprinter, through July.

But BMW dealers told the Journal that BMW of North America also encouraged the demo sales in order to clear out 2012 models and make room for the 2013s. The dealers said that if more vehicles were sold in North America, it would encourage BMW to send new models to North America.

"If you don't sell the cars in North America, they're going to send them to China," Justin Wong, a California-based Internet salesman told the newspaper. "Everybody is fighting for allocation."
Old 09-04-12, 01:34 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
RE: BMW

5 series numbers looked like a shortage, so I googled it to get some confirmation.

http://online.wsj.com/public/page/auto-industry.html

Just an odd month. Will be back to 5000 soon.
I call BS on this PR move. They pulled forward sales at the end of last month (and took a ton of flak for it) and had a gangbusters month. This shows with lower sales this month (not a *cough* shortage). I do believe they will rebound next month with a much better month.

WRT: Hyundai: They are capacity constrained. They are basically juggling the mix on vehicles to get the most out of the lines they have going but you can't see 20% increase when there is no stockpiled inventory to fall back on or production "boost" **** you can twist.
Old 09-04-12, 01:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,105 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
No comments on Hyundai's mediocre performance for August?
they were up, plus haven't seen their kia portion yet, so not sure it's 'mediocre', plus i really don't care about hyundai sales level unless it's something dramatic.

i am pretty stunned how many velosters they're selling as that's a pretty unusual vehicle.

i also note that a full 2/3rd (67%) of all lexus sales for the month were the RX and ES with another 10% was IS.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-04-12 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-04-12, 02:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I don't know that I buy that 100%. BMW got slapped last month for marking all kinds of vehicles as sold mostly to (hopefully) put up better numbers than Mercedes. My theory is that these vehicles then could not be counted into August sales so the numbers now look skewed negatively...just like they were positively skewed in July. Regardless, it was an off month.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...es-report-says
Yessir!

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
I call BS on this PR move. They pulled forward sales at the end of last month (and took a ton of flak for it) and had a gangbusters month. This shows with lower sales this month (not a *cough* shortage). I do believe they will rebound next month with a much better month.

WRT: Hyundai: They are capacity constrained. They are basically juggling the mix on vehicles to get the most out of the lines they have going but you can't see 20% increase when there is no stockpiled inventory to fall back on or production "boost" **** you can twist.
Yessir!

Old 09-04-12, 03:30 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
they were up, plus haven't seen their kia portion yet, so not sure it's 'mediocre', plus i really don't care about hyundai sales level unless it's something dramatic.

i am pretty stunned how many velosters they're selling as that's a pretty unusual vehicle.

i also note that a full 2/3rd (67%) of all lexus sales for the month were the RX and ES with another 10% was IS.
Bash the ES all you want but it's in the same price class as the 3er and C-class. Those cars also make up a decent percentage of BMW/Merc sales.
Old 09-04-12, 03:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

LEXUS TOPS LUXURY

Toyota's Lexus was the August sales leader among luxury brands, at 24,237 vehicles, beating Daimler AG's Mercedes-Benz at 22,686 and BMW AG's BMW brand at 16,835.
nice to see... new ES is driving the sales as well as RX, LX and GS... IS is not short in supply due to new model and LS/GX/CT interest is slowing down due to not being Predators :-).

So while ES will go down a bit, possibly CT and LS will pickup the slack.
Old 09-04-12, 03:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Did anyone else notice that Caddy did 1k of fleet sales last month? I haven't typically paid attention to those numbers so I don't have anything to compare them to, but do MB, Lexus, BMW, etc do fleet sales?

For Cadillac...
August 2012 Total Sales: 14,704
August 2012 Retail Sales: 13,726

YTD Total Sales: 90,933 (9.5% increase over 2011)
YTD Retail Total Sales: 85,803 (2.4% increase over 2011)
I dont think Lexus has special fleet prices required for them to sell a lot... anyway, related - Toyota had only 2.7% fleet sales in August, which is great. Shows the numbers are real.
Old 09-04-12, 03:43 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I have to say that the ES sales are interesting considering that there is no specific marketing campaign for the ES (that I am aware of) and the fact that its only offered in a 4-door bodystyle while most competitors offer, sedan, coupe, wagon, convertible. Thats remarkable, but its only 1 month.

Camry - It also was attracting new and younger buyers to the Toyota family with a median age of 45, fully eight years younger, than the previous model.
As a result we adjusted the production mix to improve SE availability and it now accounts for more than 40 percent of all Camry sales, replacing the LE as the best-selling model.
And thanks to strong residuals, Camry will continue to be available at lease rates of less than $200 a month in most parts of the country.
Who knew that the SE was the best selling model? But I shouldnt be surprised as the base models take bland styling to new heights IMO. Also seen local lease deals for $99 per month. Who the heck wouldnt buy a Camry at that price? lol
Old 09-04-12, 03:48 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Bash the ES all you want but it's in the same price class as the 3er and C-class. Those cars also make up a decent percentage of BMW/Merc sales.
Not bashing, it is truth. Everyone knows that they are major sellers for the brand. It doesnt paint the brand in any lesser light. Companies would kill to have a vehicle as successful as the RX and ES.
Old 09-04-12, 03:48 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Kia

Kia Motors America's (KMA) scorching summer momentum continued in August and delivered the brand's 24th consecutive monthly sales record with 50,028 units sold. Sales over the same period last year were up 21.5 percent, and Kia is significantly ahead of last year's all-time annual sales record pace.

Kia's record-setting August was led by strong performances from the U.S.-built* Optima midsize sedan and Sorento CUV with both topping the 10,000 unit mark for the 4th straight month and Optima became the third Kia vehicle to reach 100,000 annual units in company history. The ongoing popularity of the Soul urban passenger vehicle is a major component of Kia's 24-month sales streak, and the 4th installment of the iconic hamster advertising campaign titled "Bringing Down the House" is now playing on movie screens nationwide and will make its television debut on MTV's Video Music Awards on September 6.

"In a short period of time the Kia brand has transformed into a recognized leader in automotive design, and together with our lineup of stylish, fun-to-drive cars and CUVs and memorable marketing initiatives we have achieved another remarkable milestone with our 2-year run of monthly sales records," said Byung Mo Ahn, group president and CEO of KMA and KMMG. "At Kia, we always have given our customers a lot for their money, and with an impressive collection of new vehicles and cutting-edge technologies on tap for 2013, the Kia brand is poised for future growth as we advance value to new levels of sophistication."
Old 09-04-12, 04:01 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

He's not bashing the ES. He's just stating the fact that 67% of all Lexus sales for the month come directly from the sales of the RX and ES.

However if we look at BMW. Most of BMW sales come from the sales of 1 Series, 3 Series, X1 and X3. The percentage is 52%.

So note that 52% of all BMW sales for the YTD ending August 2012 were the 1 Series, 3 Series, X1 and X3...

As for YTD 2012 ending August.

Merc 168,462
BMW 164,636
Lexus 150,604

Last edited by Trexus; 09-04-12 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-04-12, 04:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

As to the BMW, they have more supply than Lexus.. obviously they just pampered the sales last month and that got them back this month... it seems as if MB is moving ahead.

I wonder how much better Lexus could be doing if they had more models to sell, from nicer small engines to big engines... sales would be for sure up another 20%-30%
Old 09-04-12, 04:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GFerg
Not bashing, it is truth. Everyone knows that they are major sellers for the brand. It doesnt paint the brand in any lesser light. Companies would kill to have a vehicle as successful as the RX and ES.
qft, kthxbye.
Old 09-04-12, 04:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

meanwhile, from earlier

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
No comments on Hyundai's mediocre performance for August?
they were up, plus haven't seen their kia portion yet, so not sure it's 'mediocre'...
Originally Posted by GS69
Kia Motors ... Sales over the same period last year were up 21.5 percent, and Kia is significantly ahead of last year's all-time annual sales record pace.
definitely better than mediocre!

Quick Reply: August 2012 Auto Sales Thread