Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Second-hand BMWs rank highest in staying off road for repairs

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-12, 03:43 AM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Second-hand BMWs rank highest in staying off road for repairs

http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/news/secon...115700299.html

London, July 22 (ANI): German car brand BMW is among the worst on the second-hand market for developing faults, researchers have revealed.

Its convertible series, aged between four and eight years old, was likely to be off the road longest for repairs at an average of 3.5 days.

In the biggest survey of car reliability in the UK, nearly 40,000 drivers were quizzed on the most common faults which plagued their cars and which models had the worst record for faults.

Among newer models under three years old, the Peugeot 3008 MPV was most likely to be off the road longest at an average of 1.94 days, the Daily Mail reported.

Second was the Land Rover Discovery 4 which was found to be typically off the road for 1.82 days for repairs, followed by the Alfa Romeo Guiletta at 1.37 days.

A sporty BMW 3 series convertible up to three years old was likely to be in the garage for 1.33 days per repair, while a newish Citroen C5 sold since 2009 endured an average 1.29 days off the road.

Among older cars between four and eight years old likely to need repairs, BMW models featured twice.

First was the BMW 3 series convertible at an average of 3.5 days. Second was the Land Rover Discover 3 (average 2.7 days), followed by another BMW, the 3 Series Touring model built between 2004 and 2008. It was off the road for repairs lasting an average 2.6 days.

The most common faults are all relatively minor, such as jammed fuel filler caps, remote keyfob faults and rattles and noises from interior trim.

A total of 86 percent of cars with minor faults are back on the road the same day.

Other minor issues, including problems with headlights, window washers and windscreen wipers, also crop up frequently, but are again quick to fix.

But only a quarter of cars with suspension problems make it back on the road the same day.

Exhaust and emissions control systems keep even more cars off the road for longer with just two thirds repaired within 24 hours.

A BMW spokesman told the Daily Mirror: "We are surprised at this. A big percentage of our customers are repeat buyers which shows they have excellent ownership experiences." (ANI)
Not exactly a shocking result here, but still.

It's a wonder why used BMWs have such high resale value. Any price it takes for the badge I suppose... A friend just bought a '09 335i M-sport, it'll be interesting to see how well it holds up.
Old 09-10-12, 04:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

A BMW spokesman told the Daily Mirror: "We are surprised at this. A big percentage of our customers are repeat buyers which shows they have excellent ownership experiences." (ANI)
ahahaha.... Who us? No way!
Old 09-10-12, 06:59 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Um, that report is not accurate for the US... in comparison to the other junk they have listed there, sure, no problem, Citroen, Land Rover? Those are some of the worst in terms of reliability period...

Every BMW I see is literally falling apart with tons of repairs needed, but the owners can't afford to have them fixed.

Being in the auto service industry, there is exactly one way I would ever own a BMW, and that would be to buy it new and sell it before the warranty runs out.

BMW's do NOT have high resale value, in comparison to their price when new. Look at a late 90's or early 00's 7 series - what was once a 100k car, can be found for under 10k now... It is probably falling apart, and thats the reason why...
Old 09-10-12, 08:29 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

A BMW spokesman told the Daily Mirror: "We are surprised at this. A big percentage of our customers are repeat buyers which shows they have excellent ownership experiences." (ANI) [/B]
Sure, those are the one that lease them for every 24~36 months......they are happy because all repair/warranty was cover by BMW for that 36 months.

I will also lease a BMW....... but will not purchase it. Since they give you a loaner, I don't care if it stay at dealer service for day or week.
Old 09-10-12, 08:39 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm shocked! lol
Old 09-10-12, 08:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

It's a wonder why used BMWs have such high resale value.
As I see it, it's not a wonder at all. Lemons or not, BMWs have been hyped by the enthusiast-press for years...and with some justification, if you like steering/chassis-engineering. Yes, that bumps up their value some....simple supply and demand.

What does surprise me some, though, is BMW ranking lower than Land Rover in second-hand reliability.
Old 09-10-12, 08:47 AM
LexFather

And people still buy them up People have different priorities and this isn't some "shock" lol. Clearly tons of people will put up with the cost as they are just attracted to the brand. More power to BMW

I know tons of BMW owners that have high repair costs and yet are very happy with their cars when they do get to drive them

Old 09-10-12, 08:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
BMW's do NOT have high resale value, in comparison to their price when new. Look at a late 90's or early 00's 7 series - what was once a 100k car, can be found for under 10k now... It is probably falling apart, and thats the reason why...
That may be true to some extent, but as I replied just above, the hype these cars get in the enthusiast press undoubtedly keeps their residual-value above that where it would otherwise be.
Old 09-10-12, 09:12 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Bimmers are fun to drive- when they can be driven. But as an owner, I like knowing that my cars are in my garage and not at a dealer's or some auto shop. This article wasn't surprising at all. If people are fine to buy into the hype and purchase cars knowing they won't last, then that's fine by me. They can afford the higher priced vehicles, so they should be able to afford the repairs and time spend in the shop.
Old 09-10-12, 09:14 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

this is dead on and exactly why i will never own a BMW, despite the classiness and the power.

i have plenty of friends who are always complaining their BMW is having countless problems. that and i have SO MUCH friends and family getting rid of their BMW's when warranties up because they know problems are coming.

IMO, BMW are for wealthy people who can afford the car (along with warranty), have it serviced by BMW and when the warranty is out, sell it or trade it in for a newer BMW. Hell, check out the BMW forums, there are countless people parting out semi-new cars so they can return it to stock and sell it. Me personally, I like my bullet proof 2JZ that can easily go for 300,000 miles

Last edited by 1sWt2GS; 09-10-12 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-10-12, 09:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
i have plenty of friends who are always complaining their BMW is having countless problems. that and i have SO MUCH friends and family getting rid of their BMW's when warranties up because they know problems are coming.
BMW also had an attractive lease-program, for years, which allowed owners to get into new BMWs for a reasonable monthly-payment, and then dump them before the warranties ran out. In fact, there were several threads in CAR CHAT about that.
Old 09-10-12, 09:47 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
This is quite the strawman. Let me rewrite to illustrate:

Toyota's do NOT have high resale value, in comparison to their price when new. Look at a late 90's or early 00's Camry - what was once a 33k car, can be found for 3-4k now... It is probably falling apart, and thats the reason why...
The reason that '98 7-series (to pick an example) is worth 90% less than a well-equipped 2013 model is not because it's a BMW, it's because it's 15 years old. 15-year old Toyotas (or Hondas, etc etc) are also worth around 10% of what it would cost to buy a new one.

Or to give you a real-world beginning-to-end counter example, I bought a 2000 323i new for $34,500. Over 12+ years, the necessary non-warranty repairs were: Final Stage Resistor ($76), Crankshaft position sensor ($53), Battery ($91) twice, oil level sensor ($42). I replaced other parts that weren't broken as part of good maintenance ("lifetime" fluids, water pump) or as upgrades (suspension components), but it was remarkably trouble-free. I traded it in last week for $5k, and cars similar to mine but with higher mileage are going for around $6k. KBB says they should be selling mine for around $6400. So 19% of its original value retained, 13 years later--not too shabby if you ask me.
Old 09-10-12, 02:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

this is a joke. Dont buy it for a second
Old 09-10-12, 06:21 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
This is quite the strawman. Let me rewrite to illustrate:

The reason that '98 7-series (to pick an example) is worth 90% less than a well-equipped 2013 model is not because it's a BMW, it's because it's 15 years old. 15-year old Toyotas (or Hondas, etc etc) are also worth around 10% of what it would cost to buy a new one.

Or to give you a real-world beginning-to-end counter example, I bought a 2000 323i new for $34,500. Over 12+ years, the necessary non-warranty repairs were: Final Stage Resistor ($76), Crankshaft position sensor ($53), Battery ($91) twice, oil level sensor ($42). I replaced other parts that weren't broken as part of good maintenance ("lifetime" fluids, water pump) or as upgrades (suspension components), but it was remarkably trouble-free. I traded it in last week for $5k, and cars similar to mine but with higher mileage are going for around $6k. KBB says they should be selling mine for around $6400. So 19% of its original value retained, 13 years later--not too shabby if you ask me.
You were quite the lucky one... we had a 2005 BMW 5 series in the shop just the other day with only 75k on the clock that needed every replaceable front end part available... tie rod ends were literally falling out of the car, power steering was leaking fluid so bad the owner had 3 spare quarts in the trunk, and that was just the beginning - every dash light possible it seemed was on on the dash...

You are talking about percentages, I am talking about raw dollars. Sure, if the two cars don't cost the same, it is definitely hard to compare this way, but I was able to find a decent example:

2000 Lexus LS400, 120k miles - new 54k, now, 13,600
2000 BMW 540i, 120k miles - new 53k, now, 9,100...

And, I guarantee fewer issues with the Lexus, I don't think anyone here, or on the BMW forums even would argue that...
Old 09-10-12, 06:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I think a lot of this is due to so many bmw's being leased, and people treat them like crap.

Lots of people talk about buying a car off lease but I wouldn't be caught dead buying any car off lease, unless I knew the owner and liked how they drove it!

Quick Reply: Second-hand BMWs rank highest in staying off road for repairs