Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

August 2012 Auto Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-12, 08:33 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

The GS had like 2 commercials at most, and the ES has already like 5 airing.
Old 09-09-12, 10:11 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
August 2012 (Acura and Buick numbers include 25k cars which is not a luxury vehicle but they are included anyway)

Lexus: 24,237
Mercedes: 20,557
Buick: 18,000
BMW: 16,835
Acura: 15,646
Cadillac: 14,704
Audi: 11,524
Infiniti: 11,155
Lincoln-8,141
Land Rover: 3,727
Porsche-3,026
Jaguar-1,029
I see these numbers and I know this is only luxury cars but damn that is a lot of raw material
Old 09-13-12, 03:37 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post South Korea

Japan’s Nissan Motor Co. (7201) and the Lexus brand at Toyota Motor Corp. (7203) saw August sales plunge in South Korea as tension between the 2 countries escalated over disputed islets.

Shipments to South Korea for Lexus, the luxury brand of Asia’s biggest carmaker, plummeted 39% last month compared with a year earlier, according to data on Korea Automobile Importers and Distributors Association’s website. Nissan’s plunged 71% and its luxury brand Infiniti’s fell 50%.

Total sales of Japanese carmakers in South Korea dropped 12% and importers attributed the decline to the dispute, according to the Korea Chamber of Commerce and Industry’s e- mailed statement. Of the surveyed importers, 26% said the dispute over the islets affected sales and 81% said shipments will be hurt if the tension persists.

The 2 countries’ dispute over islands known as Dokdo in Korean and Takeshima in Japan have escalated since South Korean President Lee Myung Bak visited them on Aug. 10. Of about 500 companies that have business ties with Japan that were surveyed by the Korea Chamber of Commerce and Industry, 65% have said they will suffer if the dispute drags on.

“If the tension further heightens or if the dispute prolongs, I think we can expect a significant drop in sales,”
said Mitsushige Akino, who oversees the equivalent of $600 million in assets in Tokyo at Ichiyoshi Investment Management Co. “Still, compared to China, the sales volume of Japanese automakers in South Korea wasn’t very big to begin with, so the overall impact on the companies may be minimal.”

No Japanese carmaker manufactures in South Korea. Japanese cars made up 15% of imports in South Korea in August. Imports made up 9.9% of total sales, according to the association.

Toyota hasn’t seen a “major impact” on South Korea sales from the political situation, company spokesman Joichi Tachikawa said. Nissan, Japan’s 2nd-biggest carmaker, isn’t aware of any impact on South Korean sales from the dispute, said Chris Keeffe, spokesman for the Yokohama City, Japan-based carmaker. Both said their companies aren’t cutting back on marketing activities in South Korea, though individual dealerships may make their own adjustments.

To contact the reporters on this story: Rose Kim in Seoul at rkim76@bloomberg.net; Anna Mukai in Tokyo at amukai1@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Young-Sam Cho at ycho2@bloomberg.net
Old 09-14-12, 04:32 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah lots of ES commercials.
Old 09-15-12, 06:38 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2012 redesign helped Acura. Much better looking car now.

Originally Posted by seanlee
to quote what i said few month back.
the ES will cannibalize GS. it is just a much better looking car and at a lower price. again, GS has better driving dynamic, but i fear not that many Lexus customer (or customer as a general), value much on driving dynamic.
ILX is quickly approaching TSX level ( i do think ILX is right direction for Acura). RDX still making very good progress and i expect it to trump MDX at some point.

no idea TL sold that many... it is a solid vehicle that styled wrong, i guess their safety rating helped?

saw the new ES, looks nice.
the re styled RX also look a lot sharper and the sale figure shows.

the JX is simply amazing. it is a solid contender for its price.

all those amazing vehicle just makes my year end SUV purchase that much more exciting.
Old 09-16-12, 07:43 AM
LexFather

^^ not really. Sales are up 15% which is nothing considering the tsunami hurt everyone last year. The new beak hasn't helped at all. The new cars have helped sales overall for the brand.

Again the TL was their volume car, it was expected to sell 70k a year and sells around 35k a year. Half the goal. Utter failure.