Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Mazda6 finally breaks cover in Moscow

Old 08-28-12, 11:06 PM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best design in its segment EASILY.
Old 08-28-12, 11:37 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Looks like the car ran straight into a wall, flattened the nose and bent the core structure behind the front wheels. The entire body looks like it's broken and sagging. Leading edge of the hood is also too tall and truckish to look sleek or speedy.
Overall, a weak and soft design that will alienate itself from the segment (as the current one does). I don't think Mazda has learned anything from it's past, possessing the same stubbornness and head in the ground mentality as companies like Acura. This is a shame, as I recall the days of the 626 poplating neighborhood driveways.
Old 08-29-12, 01:26 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like the concept guy, which received great feedback. Glad they kept it close to what that was. We knew it wouldn't have the 20's and the overfenders in the rear, but it's still damn close.
Old 08-29-12, 02:00 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Looks like the car ran straight into a wall, flattened the nose and bent the core structure behind the front wheels. The entire body looks like it's broken and sagging. Leading edge of the hood is also too tall and truckish to look sleek or speedy.
Overall, a weak and soft design that will alienate itself from the segment (as the current one does). I don't think Mazda has learned anything from it's past, possessing the same stubbornness and head in the ground mentality as companies like Acura. This is a shame, as I recall the days of the 626 poplating neighborhood driveways.
Although it appears that Mazda 6 competes with Accord/Camry with it's price and size, these two can't be further apart in philosophy. Mazda 6 is alternative to those who want some more "zoom zoom" instead of "turn left and you arrived to your destination Point B".

Mazda tried to be in between with previous US Mazda 6 and failed. In other word you can't have "Zoom to Point B" because it's too much of compromise. But with this one it's back to global Mazda 6 that rocked the roads all over EU and US ten years ago.

Like I said this is for people who want more car in a car than just car as transportation tool. I could see myself driving Mazda 6 but no chance in hell would you see me driving Accord or Camry or even Altima (unless my friend who owns Accord is drunk and I have to drive him home).

Mazda knows their midsize sedan market is not as broad as Toyota's but with this one they will capitalize very well if they put in good and relevant engines.
Old 08-29-12, 05:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I hope this new 6 does well for Mazda. Too many of their sales have been coming from the 3. The CX5 is a start and this new model could help to balance things out even more. They need all they can get to compete with the big boys.
Old 08-29-12, 05:59 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a fan, design looks great!!! Doesn't look as if they strayed that far away from the concept either, which is great too.

hopefully the Mazdaspeed6 (if it's being produced) will be just as apealing, and so to the power output. always been a follower of the MS6.
Old 08-29-12, 09:36 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I actually like it. I am a fan of anything that lightweight
Old 08-29-12, 11:27 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup this new Mazda 6/Atenza is looking real sharp. They stayed as close to the Takeri concept as possible.

Btw, I'm also excited about the station wagon version too

Old 08-29-12, 12:04 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

man that looks good. kudos to mazda
Old 08-29-12, 12:20 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a midsized family sedan that looks really good. The feather weight and frugal powertrains only make the deal even sweeter. Great job Mazda!
Old 08-29-12, 12:33 PM
LexFather

I think it looks great inside and out..just had that lame NAV screen...looks way to aftermarket....hope it translates in person.

I've always loved the 6 and its overlooked every year....Mazda has to step up the marketing

Old 08-29-12, 01:05 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks european. Like it very much
Old 08-29-12, 03:38 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Fantastic looking car. By comparison the Camry looks like a cardboard box.
Old 08-29-12, 05:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
It weighs 2950lbs.! Let me say that again 2950lbs.!! this is amazing for a mid size sedan, they said they've dropped around 300lbs. from the outgoing model.
now pretty old Avensis is about the same weight, although a bit smaller... so while good, I still dont see this skyactive thing translating well from paper to road... for instance, in Euro publications CX5 had nice consumption, but it was not better than its peers in consumption, despite what PR's and specs said.
Old 08-29-12, 05:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Although it appears that Mazda 6 competes with Accord/Camry with it's price and size, these two can't be further apart in philosophy. Mazda 6 is alternative to those who want some more "zoom zoom" instead of "turn left and you arrived to your destination Point B".

Mazda tried to be in between with previous US Mazda 6 and failed. In other word you can't have "Zoom to Point B" because it's too much of compromise. But with this one it's back to global Mazda 6 that rocked the roads all over EU and US ten years ago.

Like I said this is for people who want more car in a car than just car as transportation tool. I could see myself driving Mazda 6 but no chance in hell would you see me driving Accord or Camry or even Altima (unless my friend who owns Accord is drunk and I have to drive him home).

Mazda knows their midsize sedan market is not as broad as Toyota's but with this one they will capitalize very well if they put in good and relevant engines.
yep... i dont think i would ever get an Camry for myself but something like Mazda, sure... I was always surprised how badly it was selling in the US, as it was a pretty good car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Mazda6 finally breaks cover in Moscow