Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tada-san & Sasaki-san teases new Toyota Supra and sub 86 entry-level model

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-12, 11:03 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tada-san & Sasaki-san teases new Toyota Supra and sub 86 entry-level model

In the past few years Toyota's line up was lacking passion and performance. It didn't help that all of the sports model were dropped. The beloved Supra was last sold in the US in 1998, and 2005 for both the MR-2 and Celica.

However this all changed with the introduction of the Lexus IS-F and the LFA super-car. But the average buyer couldn't afford the $60,000 price tag for the V-8 sport sedan, yet alone spent $375,000 on the Lexus super-car.

So under a jointed project with Subaru, Toyota produced a light-weight, compact, rear-wheel sports car known as the Subaru BRZ and Toyota 86 (or Scion FR-S in North America). Some have complained about lack of power, and or the high price tag. So it seems Toyota maybe addressing both of those issues.

During an interview with Top Gear Tada-san and Sasaki-san may have just spilled the beans on Toyota's future sports car development. Tada-san and Sasaki-san toyed with the idea of an additional flagship and entry-leve sports car.

However, nothing is yet written in stone and the state of the global market may scrapped any chances of a new Supra successor. In the end only time will tell if legendary Supra nameplate will continue and give the company a much needed GT-R rival. Below are parts of the interview with both Tada-san and Sasaki-san regarding the addition of more performance models from the Japanese giant.

This new 86 however, is just the beginning of Toyota's sports car renaissance. Soon, there will be an entry-level sports car, and of course, a Big Dog range-topper. You know the name.

"With my next sportscar," explains Tada-san, "I want to make a big... ‘wow'." His arms gesticulate large vortex circles. "Nobody expected us to build something like the GT 86. I want to give the world a shock." Does that mean we are - whisper it - getting a new Supra?

He laughs. Quite loudly. "Of course, anything is possible." Sasaki-san also chirrups in. "With the 86, we didn't want to use driver aids - that's the thinking. But new Supra means big power, so we need something for that. It'll be a different avenue of sports car from the GT 86."

Tantalisingly, neither of them would formulate anything concrete, so it remains as thus: the GT 86 is the hot new thing on the block, and a new Supra is "just one avenue of sports car Toyota could take. There are others too." One thing is for sure however: if Tada-san has his way, the new sports car definitely won't be a hybrid.

"Our LMP1 programme gave us a good insight into hybrid performance, but for me, I think current hybrid technology is not good for road sports cars. I don't really want that." I inform him about the cosmically-quick Porsche 918 Spyder - built by a company both he and Sasaki greatly admire from an engineering perspective - and he laughs again. "That's a very good hybrid drivetrain, but it's for the man who has an unlimited amount of money. I don't like that. I want to build a car that everybody can afford, a car for the ordinary people, not something that requires too much money." A champion of the everyday petrolhead, no?

It's certainly a vibe that emanates from the pair of them - just a couple of petrolheads doing something they love. As Sasaki-san regales, he was initiated into the School of Performance at an early age - specifically with the GT 86's granddaddy. "My father was a Toyota engineer, in charge of the very first Corolla Levin. He brought it home one day and asked if I wanted to join him on a test drive. It was the first time that I've been in a car that was so fast; I was pushed back into my seat. Then I decided - I will buy this car one day."

Buy it? He's only gone and built it.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/toy...-24?imageNo=01

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 08-24-12 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-24-12, 11:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

link doesn't correspond to article?
and aren't the top two pics the concept for the fr-s?
Old 08-24-12, 12:03 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
link doesn't correspond to article?
and aren't the top two pics the concept for the fr-s?
I think you have to scroll to page 11 on the link.

No the cars pictured are the 2007 Toyota FT-HS Concept and the 2011 TES Concept T-Sports. They might not even be anything close to what the production car would look like, or even if there is going to be a production but for the purpose of the thread it gives readers something to look at and ponder.
Old 08-24-12, 01:29 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the Supra, I'd like to see two engines: N/A V6 and one TT V6

A revised/overhauled version of the 3GR-FSE with TT in something that weighs 3,300 - 3,500lbs could be incredible.
Old 08-24-12, 01:54 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Def interested in a new Supra. It'll be a whole new game within the next 3 years. Mustang going IRS, lighter, plus ecoboost, infiniti posing with a more powerful G model, Lexus coupes, Acura NSX, another rwd Kia/Hyundai, Nissan Z lighter + maybe turbo.
Old 08-24-12, 01:57 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

:drool:drool:

Old 08-24-12, 03:10 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Toyota considers Supra revival

The Japanese giant is set to rediscover its sporty mojo.

Two more sports cars could be developed by Toyota, including a spiritual successor to its cult car, the Supra. The man responsible for the development of the company's new 86 sports car, chief engineer Tetsuya Tada, says there is room for a three-tier sports car line-up in the Toyota range, with one car sitting below the 86 and one above it.

If they were to be made, the three new sports cars would return Toyota to its former two-door glory days, when sports cars were as important to its line-up - and as iconic - as the LandCruiser.

''Right now the 86 will be a mid-size sports car,'' he told Drive through an interpreter.

''I would like to have one smaller and one larger. One would probably be a Supra follower. Nothing has been decided yet. It would [be] like a Supra successor.''

Advertisement
He said the car could be another joint venture with Subaru, which co-developed the 86 (or BRZ as the Subaru is known) but it would depend on the concept.

Subaru has a chequered history with two-door sports cars. The wedge-shaped Vortex of the 1980s and the chunky, expensive and oddly styled SVX struggled to find buyers in the 1990s.

Toyota's sports car history is more comprehensive, encompassing the Celica, mid-engined MR2 and flagship Supra. Each was successful but they have all been discontinued in the past decade. The Supra was an iconic sports car that Toyota produced from the late '70s to 2002. Powered by an in-line six-cylinder engine, it was popular in Australia in the early '90s - although it was discontinued here in 1993 - and fast became a favourite of car tuners.

Grey imports (sold through small importers, not Toyota dealers) were common and gave buyers access to relatively affordable, sleek-looking, high-performance sports cars. Even today the Supra is a popular coupe with enthusiasts and those looking for something different. Modified Supras can still fetch more than $30,000.

It's not yet known if any Supra successor would use the Supra nameplate. Many expected the new coupe to adopt the Celica label but Toyota instead chose to name the car loosely after the AE86 Corolla/Sprinter, which was a favourite of drift enthusiasts.

Heritage counts for plenty in the sports car world - Porsche's 911 is the most iconic, even leading to a buyer uprising when word spread of plans in the 1980s to shelve the rear-engine coupe and replace it with a more conventional front-engine V8 - but all-new models can also squeeze their way into a market segment that's more about image and branding than outright sales. The Audi TT is one example.

Toyota is trying to shake off its reputation for building dull but dependable cars and the 86 is a key part of the company's push to have cars that are ''fun to drive''.

Toyota adopted the catchphrase ''Fun to drive'' in the 1980s but discontinuing sports cars such as the Supra, Celica and MR2 has taken lustre off the brand in recent years. Under president and car enthusiast, Akio Toyoda, the company is looking to return to its sports car roots.

''Personally, I love the smell of gasoline and the sound of an engine, so I hope that this type of vehicle never disappears,'' he told the media at the Tokyo Motor Show this week.

''I hope that motor vehicles will continue to provide dreams and inspiration to people for all eras. I believe that if it is not fun, it is not a car.

''I truly believe that no matter how advanced cars become, it is important to retain this feeling.''

Tada said Toyoda was keen to have a Supra replacement if the numbers added up.
http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/t...202-1o9pi.html
Old 08-24-12, 03:18 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make the 86 slightly bigger and drop the Subaru H-6 with D-4S and boom!! The MKV Supra!!

...unless they want to make a number-oriented car to compete with the GT-R, which it historically did. Maybe an N/A Supra with 300hp and a Supra Turbo with 550hp?

Last edited by ydooby; 08-24-12 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-24-12, 03:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

talk is cheap :-)
Old 08-24-12, 04:42 PM
venom21
Instructor

These articles seem to appear every few weeks. Its good they at least keep mentioning it though, compared to the barren wasteland of the early 2000's to 2009.
Old 08-24-12, 07:48 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by venom21
These articles seem to appear every few weeks. Its good they at least keep mentioning it though, compared to the barren wasteland of the early 2000's to 2009.
I believe this is the second time during an interview that Tada-san has hinted at a new Supra successor and baby 86/FR-S.
Old 08-25-12, 10:40 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default New Supra Won’t be a Hybrid: Scion FR-S Engineer Says

According to an interview with the brains behind the the Scion FR-S, the rumored upcoming Supra will not be a hybrid despite a recent concept sports car from Toyota.

“I think current hybrid technology is not good for road sports cars,” FR-S chief engineer Tetsuya Tada said during an interview with Top Gear.

The Scion FR-S has reminded the buying public that Toyota can make spectacular sports cars. With the limited power and small footprint of the FR-S, there is a tremendous opening in the automaker’s product line for a larger and more powerful sports car. The FR-S features various references to the classic AE-86, this hole could be filled by a car with an even more important model name from Toyota’s past: the Supra.

Tada does mention his “next sports car.” When describing the next car he says ”I want to make a big… ‘wow.’ I want to give the world a shock.”

When asked directly about a new Supra, Tada says “Of course, anything is possible.” Yoshinori Sasaki, another engineer associated with the FR-S said, “It’ll be a different avenue of sports car from the GT 86.” He is adamant that this new Supra will use a pure gasoline drivetrain.

Sasaki also stresses their support of the Supra’s traditional front-engine rear-drive layout, ”rear-engined, rear-driven cars – and even mid-ship designs – are OK. But if you want to make an enjoyable sports car, it should be front-engined, rear-drive.”

Toyota’s GRMN Sports Hybrid Concept II was hypothosized to be the next Supra but it is mid-engined and a hybrid. The new car will likely be the BMW 6 Series-based sports car that Toyota is developing with the German automaker.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ml#more-152027
Old 08-25-12, 10:44 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Toyota Supra Rumor Mill Gets New Life: New Supra Won’t be a Hybrid

The infamous ‘return of the Toyota Supra’ rumor’s beaten corpse has somehow turned up once again to receive blows across its heavily deteriorated left-over skull. The most recent news to come out of the media-o-sphere, is that the Toyota Supra will return and will NOT be a hybrid, according to Top Gear who recently spoke to Scion FR-S chief engineer Tetsuya Tada.

The return of the Supra is bound to happen. Even though the Supra rumor mill has spun a bearing or two in the recent years, it tends to get resurrected with a fresh set of forged pistons and connecting rods every-so-often.

During Top Gear’s interview with Tada, he mentions his “next sports car” he wants “to make a big… ‘wow’.” He also concluded that he wants “to give the world a shock” and ”rear-engined, rear-driven cars – and even mid-ship designs – are OK. But if you want to make an enjoyable sports car, it should be front-engined, rear-drive.” Tada is also adamant that the next sports car will use a pure gasoline drivetrain, potentially debunking the idea for a hybrid.

It is conceivable that Toyota has interest in sparking excitement among car enthusiasts around the world, especially after the conception of the FR-S/BRZ. Even though they had Subaru’s help with the FR-S, Toyota remains well-capable of introducing a ‘wow-factor’ sports car. Only this time, as suggested by sources, the new Supra could be a joint venture with BMW based off of their 6 Series. Let the games begin!
http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/319...wont-be-hybrid
Old 08-25-12, 10:57 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
New Supra Won’t be a Hybrid
I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 08-25-12, 11:42 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really doubt the Supra will be hybrid-only. Toyota has turned it's focus onto building true drivers' cars - 86, LFA, 4GS, IS F - and while they might decide to have a hybrid model, I 100% doubt that it will be hybrid-only.

Quick Reply: Tada-san & Sasaki-san teases new Toyota Supra and sub 86 entry-level model