Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1998 Acura Integra GS *Used Car Review*

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-12, 11:50 AM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Acura Integra GS *Used Car Review*

I thought I would provide you guys with a somewhat humorous Integra review...

About 1 month ago my wife and I did a complete car swap. I sold my mint IS300 and she sold her mint Murano....We bought her an 04' Sequoia and with the cash profit from selling her Murano, I plunked down 5 grand cash for 1998 VSM Integra with 120k. Reason for the car exchange was to jump start our money make over (Dave Ramsey plan)

Not my car but exactly the same

Review

I'm coming from one of the cleanest, most well-maintained IS300's out there and prior to that I owned a nearly flawless SC400. Solid cars to say the least. I picked up a perfectly maintained (mechanically) Integra from the original owner and she had stacks of service/maintenance reciepts.

Bottom line...The car is SLOOOOWWWW. Not saying my SC400 or IS300 were fast but holy schmokes this thing is slow. 140HP blah. Also, I'm def. not used to this buzzy Honda engine. I miss the smooth, easy power from my past cars. I do like the fact that the car is small and easy to maneuver but it jsut cracks me up to think that people actually try to street race these things with only an intake and fart can exhaust. I feel inadequate next to minivans lol .

As far as feeling solid...well, I feel like I'm in a tin can compared to both the SC400 and IS300.

The interior has held up really nice with the leather on the drivers side showing some wear. The Acura paint on the plastice peices (mirrors, spoiler, rear bumper) could use help but I'll probably re-paint them prior to selling in a couple of years. Anyone remember Milano Red paint being called Milano Pink? What's up with Acura's crappy paint?

However, this car has been perfectly maintained and I needed something to get me to and from work with no issues for 2 or so years.

Ok, that is all. Cliffs Notes. SLOW, buzzy tin can that is exactly what I needed. Dearly miss the IS300.
Old 08-14-12, 11:59 AM
LexFather

Reason for the car exchange was to jump start our money make over (Dave Ramsey plan)
I would punch Ramsey in the face if I saw him if he told me get this . J/K...great book and his plan has worked for many people. We actually have used some of his methods but not all of them, its like P90X for finances So good luck and congrats and thanks for the review. In regards to the car at the time it was solid, I remember and liked it quite a bit but it had to be the GS-R. The base model was really mundane but as you said reliable. I was always a fan of the quad lamps. The build quality between the two brands is pretty amazing especially over time, that is when the differences really start to show. Though the SC was a car that cost twice as much and the IS is regarded by many Lexus techs the best built Lexus ever. I drove one last week as a matter of fact and while the interior bits might be cheap here and there it felt like a tank in build quality.

If all goes well you will be in an IS F next go round

Old 08-14-12, 12:03 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I would punch Ramsey in the face if I saw him if he told me get this . J/K...great book and his plan has worked for many people. We actually have used some of his methods but not all of them, its like P90X for finances So good luck and congrats and thanks for the review. In regards to the car at the time it was solid, I remember and liked it quite a bit but it had to be the GS-R. The base model was really mundane but as you said reliable. I was always a fan of the quad lamps. The build quality between the two brands is pretty amazing especially over time, that is when the differences really start to show. Though the SC was a car that cost twice as much and the IS is regarded by many Lexus techs the best built Lexus ever. I drove one last week as a matter of fact and while the interior bits might be cheap here and there it felt like a tank in build quality.

If all goes well you will be in an IS F next go round
You may not believe this but you just read my mind. The IS-F is the next car I want!
Old 08-14-12, 12:30 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a GSR and I did B18C5 swap and all other goodies, but the car was still slow. Can't compare to Lexus in built material and quality, but a very reliable and fuel efficient car though. Just be very careful with the car, thiefs want it so bad and it's very easy to steal.
Old 08-14-12, 02:26 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

never been much of a fan of the coupes but I do like the sedan GSR's
Old 08-14-12, 04:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

best of luck to you on your financial make-over. will be worth it down the (slow ) road!!!!
Old 08-14-12, 04:17 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

These cars are amazing money savers - easy on gas, and very cheap parts when it comes to repairs. Surely, the car may be slow, but its still somewhat fun to drive - at least compared to Corollas and Elantras, and it looks sporty, aged very well.

Just don't be molesting it, and it will last you a good while.
Old 08-14-12, 05:46 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Och, I agree. Compared to other cars out there for 5k,other than the Miata, there is nothing that I find even remotely appealing. Corollas, Sentras, Proteges...I wil continue to take care of it because I want to be able to sell it without a huge loss in a couple of years.
Old 08-14-12, 05:48 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Very nice and clean integra. I think they are great value right now, the only issue is trying to find one that is not beat to death.
Old 08-14-12, 06:32 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a clean, stock 1990s integra still in existence?
Old 08-14-12, 06:46 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Yup. Although the above car is not mine, mine is very similar.
Old 08-14-12, 07:11 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

My client has a clean, one owner, four door GSR as well. He is 60years old and got the car since new. I told him to let me know when he decides to part with it. Only thing I don't like about it is the color green. I know I can get it eventually, I waited two and half years to get a mr2 from my client before.
Old 08-14-12, 07:12 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

So yeah, clean ones still out there, just getting harder to find.
Old 08-15-12, 06:21 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by FireCode
Och, I agree. Compared to other cars out there for 5k,other than the Miata, there is nothing that I find even remotely appealing. Corollas, Sentras, Proteges...I wil continue to take care of it because I want to be able to sell it without a huge loss in a couple of years.
You don't have to put a whole lot on top of $5k to get something fun. My 2000 323i with 105k miles is worth about $6k, and I still love to drive it after 12 years. With 171hp, it's no rocketship, but is decently quick (0-60 is a respectable 7.2s). Power delivery is nice and smooth, it rides and handles well, and puts a smile on my face.

But I was always a fan of the old Integras, and nearly bought a Type-R (passed due to no A/C and cruise) when I wound up with the Bimmer.
Old 08-15-12, 08:17 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hope the additional gas the Sequoia uses over a Murano doesn't end up costing you more!

Quick Reply: 1998 Acura Integra GS *Used Car Review*