Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

OT new M5/M6 have oil pump issues already

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-12, 01:43 PM
RizOne
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT new M5/M6 have oil pump issues already

That is why I tend to like NA engines. A friend of mine bought one and has to take it back to the dealership. He got a X3 as a loaner for who knows how long. It is better to stay away from 1st year models.
Old 09-21-12, 06:10 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Care to elaborate?

I'm not sure what an oil pump issue has to do with liking NA engines?
Old 09-21-12, 06:22 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748157
Old 09-21-12, 06:33 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This trend is very worrying - it seems all these new trendy turbo charged engines, including diesels, are employing some ridiculously high pressure components, and they just can't handle the task.
Old 09-21-12, 08:24 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Which goes to show that sometimes you can't have your cake and eat it as well. There are some that deride Lexus for not going Forced Induction but the higher-ups at Lexus know full well the reliability trade-offs for turbo-ed/supercharged cars.

If/when Lexus comes out with a turbo/super-charged engine, you can bet they'll have tested the heck out of that engine and that it'll be as reliable and painless to own as a NA engine.
Old 09-21-12, 08:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by RizOne
That is why I tend to like NA engines. A friend of mine bought one and has to take it back to the dealership. He got a X3 as a loaner for who knows how long. It is better to stay away from 1st year models.
dont worry, it will be fixed in 5-6 years.
Old 09-21-12, 09:23 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Some saw it coming. On Wednesday I was talking to Matt Russell at O'fest and he mentioned they have had a few catastrophic failures on cars right out of the gate but they were putting it down to abuse and not following the run in quidelines, while still trying to determine the cause.
With all of the early quality issues on this launch I'm ready to pack it in and sell the beast because I'm sure any BMWNA compensation will be incremental at best. It's a shame because I was really looking forward to driving this car for many years. But all I read about anymore is suspension clunks, missing seat bolsters and now an engine recall. are there any lawyers out there who can advise of our rights to refuse re-dleivery of the car post-ED and move on? Looking for a put option...
So far, I need new rear coil springs and a new oil pump. Engine status is unknown - it still works, but there might be some damage since the oil pump may be faulty. Kind of a shame on a brand new car.
feel sorry for these guys.
Old 09-21-12, 09:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

The thing is, the the recent years manufacturers have made quite a few injection advancements to make injection more efficient and to provide for better performance and increased efficiency. However, now these direct injected engines with high pressure components are very prone to all sorts of problems, and its going to take a long time until they can be made reliable.
Old 09-21-12, 10:34 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And yet, some here say there is no place for a GS F. Lexus reliability will be a big selling point in this class.

Sorry to hear of these issues for ML owners.
Old 09-21-12, 11:23 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not surprised for some reason...
Old 09-22-12, 08:45 AM
LexFather

Damn that thread is a good read. Hope those owners are satisfied when its all said and done.

Old 09-22-12, 08:51 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The thing is, the the recent years manufacturers have made quite a few injection advancements to make injection more efficient and to provide for better performance and increased efficiency. However, now these direct injected engines with high pressure components are very prone to all sorts of problems, and its going to take a long time until they can be made reliable.

Lexus has had direct injected engines since 2006( the GR-FSE engines) and they are bulletproof. What's BMW's excuse?

Last edited by natnut; 09-22-12 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-22-12, 09:18 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by natnut
Lexus has had the direct injected engines since 2006( the GR-FSE engines) and they are bulletproof. What's BMW's excuse?
The 2.5 V6 in IS250 is direct injected, and it does have carbon issues. The other engines have direct and port injection that keeps them clean. It is perhaps the best way to increase efficiency and performance at the same time without sacrificing reliability.

The problem comes in when you want to eat all the cakes at once, and do it right away. When you want a high power turbocharged engine and want to keep it efficient - you need to have high compression and very efficient injection system. This where you will run into reliability issues, especially if you rush it to the market and have BMW's mentality of "you suckers will buy anything". It gets even worse with diesels - I'd love to see maintenance and repair bills on these fancy "bluetecs" in 10 years.

This is why Lexus isn't rushing an engine like that to the market. They don't settle for half *** unreliable designs. Knowing Lexus, they will design it until its bulletproof and only then launch it.
Old 09-22-12, 09:47 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

+1 Och

It's not a matter of who puts it out into the market first. Trials and testing are what Lexus is known for. It won't deliver a product that isn't going to work for a long time. I'd much rather have a quality DI with the ability to handle the demands down the line than some hot shot TT right now that clearly hasn't lasted. I am intrigued to see what DI Lexus has for the future, should they follow BMW and MB, especially with regards to the high performing vehicles.
Old 09-22-12, 10:19 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
And yet, some here say there is no place for a GS F. Lexus reliability will be a big selling point in this class.

Sorry to hear of these issues for ML owners.
+1!

Quick Reply: OT new M5/M6 have oil pump issues already