Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

windshield cracked @ dealer service

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-12, 06:11 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

In '95 a former partner took her Benz to the local MB shop for routine service and after two days she retrieved the car (a CLS) with the windshield cracked from one side to the other. The dealer feigned ignorance, but I discovered the truth - it seems that a number of C-class Mercedes' were prone to windshields breaking when jacked up, rather than being put on a lift. Applied at the wrong point, a jack could twist the body/frame sufficiently to break the windshield. The dealer wanted $1000 to replace the glass - that THEY broke. No amount of arguing would change their mind, but a few strategic calls to MBUSA did. She got her windshield.

Years later my RX got "rocked" on a local freeway and I had to have the windshield replaced. I called my dealership, expecting the worst. I had a choice, a $350 "Lexus" windshield or a free PPG product. Like the OP, I opted for the cheaper solution. At the time, I was told the Lexus windshield was "thicker" with additional sound-deadening properties. I couldn't tell any difference. The dealer had a contract with a local glass installer who did most of their work at their shop. They sent the guy across town to my house where he changed the windshield in my driveway. Free. Glad to know Lexus is still doing it right.
Old 08-16-12, 07:36 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wait, what am I not getting? You had a 'pristine' Lexus with Lexus windshield when you took the car to the dealer and got one back with a damaged windshield. Ok tech slipped and dropped the battery causing the crack. You should still get a pristine Lexus with Lexus windshield back.

I don't see where this was a great deal and I would have fought harder to have my car returned exactly as I dropped it off. Especially if there is an issue of stress cracks that occur on SC's.
Old 08-20-12, 06:59 AM
gstanton
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually the word pristine is a bit subjective. the glass has been in the car since new so there was the usual pitting from road use over time and additionally there was a pin ***** sized pit at the winshield edge where the crack eminated from. so i was plesantly surprised when without debating the specifics of what may or may not have occured , . . .i got a new windshield that could just as easily as not get damaged next time out.