Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac flagship gets the green light, will take styling cues from Ciel Concept

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-14, 12:53 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Cadillac Flagship to Debut at 2015 NY Auto Show

Since the Cadillac XTS launched a couple years ago, the luxury automaker’s sedan lineup has been completely overhauled with the third-generation CTS and the compact ATS. This trend will come full circle next year when Cadillac introduces its all-new flagship sedan at the 2015 New York International Auto Show.

Autoblog is reporting that a source has confirmed that the new sedan, which may or may not wear the LTS name, will debut next April in New York. More importantly, it will be a true flagship for Cadillac going up against global luxury sedans like the Mercedes-Benz S-Class and Audi A8.

What seems to still be in the air, though, is how Cadillac will take on these well-established sedans. With profit margins in mind, some advanced content could be cut from the car to keep a lower price than its rivals while maintaining higher profits. Although as Cadillac's new president Johan de Nysschen prepares to take the reigns, it will be interesting to see how he plans to position Cadillac in a segment it seems to have given up on a long time ago.

One of the more interesting things pulled from the article is that the source went on to heap praise on the 2014 S-Class while simultaneously bashing the XTS. Since its introduction, the XTS has been seen as a placeholder model until a more deserving flagship could arrive.

The big question, however, remains what this car will look like. Based on spy shots taken earlier in the year, the newest Cadillac will borrow a design from last year’s Elmiraj Coupe, which would definitely give it a styling advantage in its class.
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ne...how-84990.html
Old 08-12-14, 09:20 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope they do a sedan and coupe like MB is doing. They should leave the curvy sexy designs of the Miraj and Ciel for a coupe. For their big sedan I really hope they go the Escalade route. Massive front with an intimidating body to follow. The new Escalade, whether you like it or not, definitely has presence. I've seen many in NYC and wow, that thing makes you look at it. It has more presence on the road than any Caddy before it and more than most of it's competition. From the look of the tarp on that mule, I think I may be right...
Old 08-12-14, 09:34 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
I hope they do a sedan and coupe like MB is doing. They should leave the curvy sexy designs of the Miraj and Ciel for a coupe. For their big sedan I really hope they go the Escalade route. Massive front with an intimidating body to follow. The new Escalade, whether you like it or not, definitely has presence. I've seen many in NYC and wow, that thing makes you look at it. It has more presence on the road than any Caddy before it and more than most of it's competition. From the look of the tarp on that mule, I think I may be right...
I'm on board
Old 08-12-14, 09:55 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is polarizing. I've heard great things about it, people have been saying that mag ride works really well in this application. The few that I've seen are owned by livery companies.
Old 08-12-14, 10:39 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

I would not be surprised if they did. As we all know both the CTS and ATS has a coupe and sedan version.
Old 08-12-14, 10:45 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
I would not be surprised if they did. As we all know both the CTS and ATS has a coupe and sedan version.
I don't know. If they decide to play it safe due to $$, they might opt out of doing a coupe as its usually the riskier proposition. It would be a shame if that happened as the concept design of the miraj and ciel really do deserve to see production... But not on a sedan imo.
Old 08-12-14, 03:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Here are some more spy shots:

It will likely be named the LTS...but that is not definite.

Car & Driver magazine also has a good write up on it:

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...os-future-cars

What It Is: Cadillac’s long-awaited full-size, rear-drive sedan—not its full-on flagship—seen here covered up for secrecy. This bagged-up four-door’s visual links to the CTS give away that it’s not the show-stopping luxury flagship we’ve been hoping Cadillac would build. But that’s okay, because this ride’s stretched wheelbase, longer rear doors, more upright front end, and markedly longer hood all point to Cadillac’s new competition for the S-class. Destined to replace the front-drive XTS, the big Caddy is expected to be named LTS, in keeping with Cadillac’s Europhilic alphanumeric naming scheme. We had hoped it would be called de Ville, but we’re perhaps being a bit too nostalgic.

Why It Matters: Even though Cadillac’s true flagship remains in limbo between drawing board and board room, this LTS fills a more pressing hole in the brand’s lineup: a proper full-size luxury sedan. Currently, the XTS sits above the mid-size CTS in size, but not exactly in price and definitely not in prestige, given its sub-CTS base price and front-drive architecture. Replacing the XTS—which won’t be redesigned when its product cycle expires—with this rear-drive LTS finally gives Cadillac an actual competitor for the Audi A8, BMW 7-series, and Mercedes-Benz S-class. It also fills out Cadillac’s relatively sparse car lineup, which continues to be anchored by the excellent CTS while the ATS and XTS play (a distant) second fiddle.

Platform: The LTS will use Cadillac’s upcoming Omega II platform, which we suspect also will underpin the brand’s true flagship—be it a coupe inspired by the stunning Elmiraj concept or a bigger, more opulent sedan. As these photos clearly show, the LTS will get a longer and more regal hood, a bigger passenger cell with more of that all-important back-seat space, and a heaping of ground-hugging presence. Still, it appears as though most of the CTS’s basic look carries over to this LTS prototype; that car’s wide-set headlights and LED fascia accents are visible through the camouflage, as is Cadillac’s signature grille design. The roofline also is similar to the CTS’s and the rear end doesn’t look like it breaks much new ground. These CTS associations are fine by us, given the mid-sizer’s chiseled good looks.

Powertrain: We doubt Cadillac will whip up a new powertrain just for this sedan, especially if the brand has confidence its flagship will get done sooner rather than later. Figure on the CTS Vsport’s twin-turbocharged 3.6-liter V-6 making the cut as the LTS’s base engine (or even the CTS’s mid-range, naturally aspirated 3.6-liter V-6), while a version of the latest, fifth-generation GM small-block V-8 could be made the optional engine. All-wheel drive will be an option as well, ensuring sales in northern markets. Finally, look for eight-speed automatic transmissions all around.
Old 08-12-14, 07:38 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I hope they offer a reworked Northstar.

Trying to compete with the Europeans with a big car like this and no modern V8 would be another recipe for failure.
Old 08-12-14, 07:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

that thing looks huuuuuge.
Old 08-12-14, 08:20 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
I hope they offer a reworked Northstar.

Trying to compete with the Europeans with a big car like this and no modern V8 would be another recipe for failure.
Do you really think consumers would notice if this thing had an LT1 with plenty of sound insulation? The twin-turbo V6 from the XTS/CTS V-sport will almost certainly be a base motor, but I really have no idea what they're thinking for the other trims.
Old 08-13-14, 12:33 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

will be another flop if the design is once again, a throwback of the cadillac of the 70's and 80's.

they only thing they should keep is the crest logo and totally take a different design philosophy.
Old 08-13-14, 04:47 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

I don't think there would be anything wrong with offering a refined, high output pushrod engine in this thing. The whole OHC>pushrod debate is nonsense. The power plant in the C7 vette is fully modern and goes like stink. The Northstar, while advanced, was a pig, unreliable, and expensive. Besides, GMs V6, na and turbo with di are fully modem as bare engines.

Caddy is successfully found a design style that combines it's heritage, it's American-ness, and modernity that I find quite attractive. Now it's time to keep refining the products and get the pricing right.
Old 08-13-14, 06:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't think there would be anything wrong with offering a refined, high output pushrod engine in this thing. The whole OHC>pushrod debate is nonsense. The power plant in the C7 vette is fully modern and goes like stink. The Northstar, while advanced, was a pig, unreliable, and expensive. Besides, GMs V6, na and turbo with di are fully modem as bare engines.
It's true that, all else equal, the torque-curve for push-rod engines usually favors more torque at lower RPM than with OHC power plants (hence your observation that the C7 "goes like stink"). The engine's center of gravity is usually lower with pushrods, which can also help with handling. The biggest advantage of overhead cams, though, is that they allow more RPMS for high-end HP (something usually not a factor on speed-limited American roads) and allow more precise opening/closing of the valves for specific air/fuel ratios for emissions., Of course, the C7's push-rod mill doesn't have any problems passing existing emissions laws in the U.S....but future emissions or CAFE rules may be another.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-13-14 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-13-14, 07:23 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Also worth noting that the competitions twin-turbo V8's don't have all that high of rev limits either. They're either the same as or slightly above that of the LT1 in the C7. The only downside of putting that motor in the LTS that I see is displacement concerns for global sales and potentially fuel efficiency.
Old 08-13-14, 12:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

iirc GM has some new 4.5L TTV8 (or something in the 4.0-4.9L range) in the wings for future vehicles

Quick Reply: Cadillac flagship gets the green light, will take styling cues from Ciel Concept