Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Drop in lease returns threatens brand loyalty

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-12, 08:00 AM
LexFather

Post Drop in lease returns threatens brand loyalty

Pretty common sense article. Some nice figures.

66% of BMWs are leased, 76% of Benz's are leased

http://www.autonews.com/article/2012...120709981/1142

A drop in returning lease customers, reflecting a drop in lease originations during the recession, is a headwind for captive finance companies and dealers trying to rebuild leasing and the brand loyalty that goes with it.

"It's harder to prospect because it's harder to predict when a retail [loan] customer will be in the market," says Shaun Bugbee, vice president of sales and marketing for BMW Group Financial Services.

He says the captive's lease customers stay with the BMW brand 44 percent of the time, vs. 25 percent for loan customers.

Among customers, "90 to 95 percent go to the end of the scheduled lease," he told Automotive News in a phone interview. BMW of North America, its captive finance company and BMW dealers can precisely target their marketing messages, and dealers can count on those customers to show up with their lease returns.

Leases preferred

Bill Underriner, chairman of the National Automobile Dealers Association, said earlier that he prefers leases to loans because lease customers are so loyal and because they turn over vehicles more frequently.

Underriner even owns his own leasing company. He is the general manager for Underriner Motors in Billings, Mont., which sells Buick, Honda, Hyundai and Volvo vehicles.

Statistically, it's relatively easy to get a returning lease customer into another lease. It's harder to get someone who purchased his or her last car to purchase or lease a new one from the same brand, according to Maritz Research of Fenton, Mo.

For the industry, brand loyalty for returning lease customers going into another lease was 63 percent for October through December 2011, the first three months of the 2012 model year, data from Maritz show. (See table, right.)

In contrast, customers who purchased their last vehicle then purchased another one from the same brand 39 percent of the time. Only 31 percent of purchasers later leased a vehicle from the same brand, Maritz said. Purchases include cash customers and customers who got a loan, the research firm said.

Ripple effect

The drop in returning lease customers today is a direct reflection of the earlier drop in lease originations. Leasing initially fell in mid-2008 when gasoline prices spiked and the resale value of off-lease trucks fell through the floor. Alarmed by unexpected losses and uncertain about future residual values, finance companies fled the automotive leasing market.

The remaining lease volume dropped along with the rest of the market during the economic downturn in the last half of 2008 and 2009. Lease penetration has since recovered, but the fall-off in lease returns persists.

The former Chrysler Financial quit leasing entirely in August 2008. Ford Motor Credit Co. and the former GMAC Financial Services cut back on leasing, too. According to Maritz, lease penetration bottomed out at only 10 percent of retail volume for the 2009 model year, down from 17 percent of U.S. retail volume the model year before.

Naturally, that meant fewer lease returns down the road. Bugbee said BMW Group Financial Services expects about 85,000 scheduled lease terminations this year. That's roughly even with 2011 but down from more than 150,000 in 2010. He said lease returns should pick up in 2013 and increase again in 2014.

Prestige vs. mass-market brands

Leasing is more critical for prestige brands with a high lease penetration, such as BMW. Bugbee said the captive finance company accounts for about 75 percent of the BMW brand's total volume, with leases outnumbering loans about 2-to-1 so far this year.

According to Experian Automotive, leasing accounted for 76 percent of new-vehicle volume for Mercedes-Benz Financial in the first quarter.

Mass-market brands are less dependent on leasing.

Ford Credit is OK with its present lease penetration, which is "on track with our plan," a spokeswoman said. The captive doesn't usually report its lease penetration. According to Experian Automotive, 31 percent of Ford Credit's new-vehicle originations in the first quarter of 2012 were leases, vs. an industry average of 24 percent.

Ford Credit said it expects about 117,000 lease terminations in 2012, down from 246,000 in 2011 and 408,000 in 2010.

GM wants more

On the other hand, General Motors has said it would like to increase its lease penetration. Part of GM's motivation in buying the former AmeriCredit Corp. in 2010 was to boost leasing, but that's off to a slow start. In the first quarter, GM said its U.S. lease penetration was 13 percent, down from 17 percent a year earlier. Not counting its own leases, GM says the industry average was 22 percent for the first quarter.

Ally Financial, the preferred lender for GM, Chrysler Group and others, said leasing for GM and Chrysler accounted for 17 percent of its U.S. originations in the first quarter, including new and used vehicles. That was down from 19 percent a year earlier.

It's taking time for leasing to recover, but it will be worth it for the automakers, said Chris Travell, vice president of strategic consulting for the Automotive Research Group of Maritz Research, based in its Mississauga, Ontario, office. Said Travell: "Leases result in higher loyalty, full stop."

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/2012...#ixzz20EReGRJW

Old 07-10-12, 10:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Leasing is more critical for prestige brands with a high lease penetration, such as BMW

this is interesting.

honestly, i used to think leasing is bad because it doesn't have ownership especially when it comes to luxury brands (poseurs?). but now i am on more forums and able to see what people do, i notice a lot more people lease because they "can", meaning easily switch to something newer and better every 2-3 years, and they are filthy rich.

this report is interesting though, showing drop in lease return due to economy. i think this exactly shows where the "poseurs" are heading, since they can't really afford luxury brands anymore. definitely interesting to see where this heads
Old 07-10-12, 10:50 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
Leasing is more critical for prestige brands with a high lease penetration, such as BMW

this is interesting.

honestly, i used to think leasing is bad because it doesn't have ownership especially when it comes to luxury brands (poseurs?). but now i am on more forums and able to see what people do, i notice a lot more people lease because they "can", meaning easily switch to something newer and better every 2-3 years, and they are filthy rich.

this report is interesting though, showing drop in lease return due to economy. i think this exactly shows where the "poseurs" are heading, since they can't really afford luxury brands anymore. definitely interesting to see where this heads
Kinda agree here. Its always interesting (to me) to watch this trend data. Also for many people that have their own business or report a business, a lease is a tax write-off.

Old 07-10-12, 12:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Leasing has long kept upmarket/luxury-car dealers in buisness, even here in the D.C. area with its huge amount of local money spent on new vehicles. As Mike points out, many people such as real estate agents, bankers, limo-firms, company VIPs, and other persons/corporations who use their cars for buisness (or to try and impress clients with) can also deduct lease-payments on their taxes.
Old 07-10-12, 12:57 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is interesting.

Lease or finance, the bank still owns the car. You can always sell it in either situation, and you're always obligated to pay the remainder on your contract. So, I don't get this perception.

If someone likes switching cars every 2 years, and they can make a budget for it, obviously a lease makes more sense. Unless you live in Texas, in which case leasing is always a terrible decision.
Old 07-10-12, 01:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Infra
Lease or finance, the bank still owns the car. You can always sell it in either situation, and you're always obligated to pay the remainder on your contract. So, I don't get this perception.

If someone likes switching cars every 2 years, and they can make a budget for it, obviously a lease makes more sense. Unless you live in Texas, in which case leasing is always a terrible decision.
well in most cases, lease payments tend to be less than finance payment, so it's an "easier" way for people to push their limits on what they can actually afford. have seen that a few times.

OT, i am curious to know why in texas leasing is always bad?
Old 07-10-12, 01:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

this is interesting.

doesnt everyone recommend to lease the germans and buy japanese? :-)

i wish real leases are available here... we get financial leasing which is the same as loan, and if operating leases are available, they do it so value at the end of the lease is 25%-30%, always, no matter how many years or what kind of car it is.
Old 07-10-12, 02:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by spwolf
doesnt everyone recommend to lease the germans and buy japanese? :-)

i wish real leases are available here... we get financial leasing which is the same as loan, and if operating leases are available, they do it so value at the end of the lease is 25%-30%, always, no matter how many years or what kind of car it is.
haha i guess the leasing system here in the US works out a lot better
Old 07-10-12, 04:05 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soon to be a double BMW lessee here. '11 335i convertible and a '12 X5 35d on the way for the misses. My friend leased her '12 335i convertible, too.

Especially in the case of BMW and Mercedes, leasing makes a lot of sense because the corporate lease programs are heavily subsidized to make them more affordable to boost sales, so that they'll have a nice supply of certified pre-owned cars that they can flip in 2-3 years and sell and make another profit on. I could never find the article again to back it up, but I thought I once read that BMW made more money on selling the CPO cars off lease than they did on new leased ones. Audi corporate lease support is very poor, which is why they're not mentioned. I think it's also why you don't see nearly as many A6/A7's or higher vs MB E-class and the BMW 5er.
Old 07-10-12, 04:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Soon to be a double BMW lessee here. '11 335i convertible and a '12 X5 35d on the way for the misses. My friend leased her '12 335i convertible, too.

Especially in the case of BMW and Mercedes, leasing makes a lot of sense because the corporate lease programs are heavily subsidized to make them more affordable to boost sales, so that they'll have a nice supply of certified pre-owned cars that they can flip in 2-3 years and sell and make another profit on. I could never find the article again to back it up, but I thought I once read that BMW made more money on selling the CPO cars off lease than they did on new leased ones. Audi corporate lease support is very poor, which is why they're not mentioned. I think it's also why you don't see nearly as many A6/A7's or higher vs MB E-class and the BMW 5er.
interesting, if you can find that article please do share.

the dealers and high up people i have talked to though, lease returns seem to be plenty of headache for them. they see hundreds of lease returns every week and they say it's pretty painful to go through them and actually find the ones that are worth good money. for example the m3 that i returned, i don't think i ever saw it on the used car lot

problem with bmw (for example) lease is they jack up the residual so high in attempt to lower the monthly payment, sometimes the cars just aren't worth that much after 3 years. that creates a big gap of "loss" and it becomes another number game
Old 07-10-12, 05:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

haha i guess the leasing system here in the US works out a lot better
imagine 3 year lease on $125k GS450h F-Sport with 25% remaining and real interest rate of 8.5%.

You would think we make millions.

No wonder they sold whooping 24 Lexii last year.
Old 07-10-12, 09:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by spwolf
imagine 3 year lease on $125k GS450h F-Sport with 25% remaining and real interest rate of 8.5%.

You would think we make millions.

No wonder they sold whooping 24 Lexii last year.
OUCH, that hurts...... and 8.5% that's just nuts. how about financing over there? usually how many months and what's ongoing rate?
Old 07-10-12, 09:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have say I am amazed at the fact that 76% of Benzs are leased. Thats insane !!
Old 07-11-12, 10:06 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are going to drive a new luxury car every 2-3 years and drive under 15K miles per year, leasing has lower cost with lower risk than traditional financing. Leases from automakers' captive financing almost always have an inflated residual value plus, in states like Michigan there are sales tax savings. In Michigan, you pay sales tax on the purchase price of the car with traditional financing, without any discount for trade-in value. On leases, you pay sales tax on the monthly lease payment. While the lease payment includes the monthly finance charge of the lease, the total tax paid over the course of the lease is much less than on the entire car.

Good dealers contact their lease customers and arrange for a sales appointment in advance of the lease termination or simply deliver a new car in the desired model, color, & option level of the customer's choice to the customer's driveway and take away the old car.
Old 07-11-12, 10:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by caddyowner
If you are going to drive a new luxury car every 2-3 years and drive under 15K miles per year, leasing has lower cost with lower risk than traditional financing. Leases from automakers' captive financing almost always have an inflated residual value plus, in states like Michigan there are sales tax savings. In Michigan, you pay sales tax on the purchase price of the car with traditional financing, without any discount for trade-in value. On leases, you pay sales tax on the monthly lease payment. While the lease payment includes the monthly finance charge of the lease, the total tax paid over the course of the lease is much less than on the entire car.

Good dealers contact their lease customers and arrange for a sales appointment in advance of the lease termination or simply deliver a new car in the desired model, color, & option level of the customer's choice to the customer's driveway and take away the old car.
yup, totally agree. depending on situations, leasing can work out to be fantastic. just like michigan, here in CA you only pay tax on the monthly payment on lease, so say a car at 80k with 50% residual, and assume state tax of around 8% (true in CA), we are talking about 3k savings right there already. and then business write off, etc... on top.

when the time is right, dealerships / manufacturers give out very good deals on lease too, including jacking up the residual, lower money factor, couple with good negotiation on the cap cost, one can score some bingo deals.

Quick Reply: Drop in lease returns threatens brand loyalty