Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Lexus LS Unveiling

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-12, 04:44 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Again, I don't know where you got your photos from, perhaps floating around on the internet, but they are not Lexus's
published teaser of the new LS.

In my opinion, this is an excellent teaser image and in no way reflects, not even a little, the image of the current LS.
The photo that I posted is from the actual Lexus website.

http://www.lexus.com/models/LS/

^Click on Photo Gallery. Bottom row, 3rd photo.
Old 07-21-12, 05:24 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Thanks for the side-by-side before-and-after pics. I think it's apparent that the new S-Class has a much longer hood and front overhang than the old one, no?
Your welcome, I noticed that too. I wondered if that was a weakness in my comparison of the model changes. I would hate to be in 2017 looking at a warmed-over 13-14 year old USF40 chassis if changes are not at least evolutionary and are facelift-worthy. That's exactly what happened with my dad's 2000 XJ Vanden Plas S/C, as it was based on an updated version of the X300 of 1994 which itself was a face-lifted XJ40(1986). By the time he bought it, it was a little displeasing to see him buying a new car with 13-14-year old underpinnings. It was only when he upgraded to the X350 in 2005, it was an all-new car. I would hate for Lexus to do that, as well as Mercedes. In fact, the new S might still date back to 1998.
Old 07-22-12, 05:22 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Incredible
The photo that I posted is from the actual Lexus website.

http://www.lexus.com/models/LS/

^Click on Photo Gallery. Bottom row, 3rd photo.
Okay, I see what you're getting at. I was a bit confused because the general theme was that somebody had enhanced the official teaser image and, low and behold, it's not the new LS at all, it's the current model. IOW, who is Lexus trying to fool? In fact, I went back through the thread and not once did anyone mention that they had "superimposed" the current model on top of the teaser pic to compare the silhouette. Bitkahuna posted an edited image making it appear to readers that he had enhanced the official image, revealing the current model LS, which was not the case at all.

A few posts back you even stated that the photo on Lexus' web site was not a teaser pic and that Lexus even used a photo of the current model to create the teaser. I don't believe that's true. Heck, I could superimpose an ES on top of the LS and get the exact same silhouette on the upper 1/3rd. I do believe the teaser image is valid. I don't believe Lexus used the current model to create the image.
Old 07-22-12, 06:51 AM
JessePS

8 days and counting.
Old 07-22-12, 03:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
Your welcome, I noticed that too. I wondered if that was a weakness in my comparison of the model changes. I would hate to be in 2017 looking at a warmed-over 13-14 year old USF40 chassis if changes are not at least evolutionary and are facelift-worthy. That's exactly what happened with my dad's 2000 XJ Vanden Plas S/C, as it was based on an updated version of the X300 of 1994 which itself was a face-lifted XJ40(1986). By the time he bought it, it was a little displeasing to see him buying a new car with 13-14-year old underpinnings. It was only when he upgraded to the X350 in 2005, it was an all-new car. I would hate for Lexus to do that, as well as Mercedes. In fact, the new S might still date back to 1998.
it doesnt really matter whats the chasis code, but how competitive the car is and in this case, how big changes are.

I am just reading on Edmunds how 2013 7 series is "all new" and I it really looks like a very minor facelift, so it really does not matter whats the chassis code, or what manufacturer says, but we will be able to see the changes with our own eyes and compare the features as well as vote with our valet.
Old 07-22-12, 08:08 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by spwolf
it doesnt really matter whats the chasis code, but how competitive the car is and in this case, how big changes are.

I am just reading on Edmunds how 2013 7 series is "all new" and I it really looks like a very minor facelift, so it really does not matter whats the chassis code, or what manufacturer says, but we will be able to see the changes with our own eyes and compare the features as well as vote with our valet.
Those journalists are whacked if they are claiming such a thing, when like you said it's a minor facelift. It just doesn't seem like Lexus after 5-6 years to be making changes so significant that it doesn't warrant a platform name change. Looking at the F-150, which was updated in 2008 for MY2009 and considered next-generation to the MY2004-08 is a good example. Being in engineering, I guess such things matter to me. I do hope I'm not coming of as too annoying or anything by continuing to talk about this.
Old 07-22-12, 08:15 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Those journalists are whacked if they are claiming such a thing, when like you said it's a minor facelift. It just doesn't seem like Lexus after 5-6 years to be making changes so significant that it doesn't warrant a platform name change. Looking at the F-150, which was updated in 2008 for MY2009 and considered next-generation to the MY2004-08 is a good example. Being in engineering, I guess such things matter to me. I do hope I'm not coming of as too annoying or anything by continuing to talk about this.
And you have 2009 G-class? Do you know how many year have MB used the chassis for G-class?
Old 07-23-12, 01:17 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by cino
And you have 2009 G-class? Do you know how many year have MB used the chassis for G-class?
That's different as the Gelandewagen is an iconic 33-year old nameplate in the Mercedes-Benz line-up and a niche vehicle. To be honest, the chassis mine rides on really dates back to 1989 when the W463 was introduced for the 1991 model year. It has been produced for 22 years since April 1990 with numerous changes, unlike the original W460 of 1979 and the military spec W461, which are more spartan. The G55 AMG Kompressor itself went into development in 1998 and debuted in November 2001, so I'd say the chassis is 23 years old, with the last major mechanical changes(not includ. power output increases) to it in 2001 and cosmetic in 2006(MY2009 facelift design frozen then).

M-B has already attempted to replace it twice with the ML(1991) and the GL(2002), only to drop such plans mid-way through development and thankfully retain it with modifications. The point is that the LS while being legendary for TMC, doesn't really compare with the G-Class in timelessness. Like the S-Class and the 7-Series, it's required to change with the times to showcase the latest and the greatest in technology and design from Lexus. Even though it's not the entirely the same, the Land Cruiser/LX can go 9-10 years without major changes, yet doing so for the LS proves highly risky and ensues controversy.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 07-23-12 at 01:25 AM.
Old 07-23-12, 01:36 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

That's different as the Gelandewagen is an iconic 33-year old nameplate in the Mercedes-Benz line-up and a niche vehicle. To be honest, the chassis mine rides on really dates back to 1989 when the W463 was introduced for the 1991 model year. It has been produced for 22 years since April 1990 with numerous changes, unlike the original W460 of 1979 and the military spec W461, which are more spartan. The G55 AMG Kompressor itself went into development in 1998 and debuted in November 2001, so I'd say the chassis is 23 years old, with the last major mechanical changes(not includ. power output increases) to it in 2001 and cosmetic in 2006(MY2009 facelift design frozen then).

M-B has already attempted to replace it twice with the ML(1991) and the GL(2002), only to drop such plans mid-way through development and thankfully retain it with modifications. The point is that the LS while being legendary for TMC, doesn't really compare with the G-Class in timelessness. Like the S-Class and the 7-Series, it's required to change with the times to showcase the latest and the greatest in technology and design from Lexus. Even though it's not the entirely the same, the Land Cruiser/LX can go 9-10 years without major changes, yet doing so for the LS proves highly risky and ensues controversy.
G-Class is legendary, but being a legendary off-roader doesn't make it competitive with 20+ years chassis. LX/LC twin and RR/LR are competitive because the companies always update and give a meaningful/kool features to the trucks.
I believe that the 2013 LS will have slightly different sheet metals here and there and some chassis modifications (just my prediction). I think it will have 8 speed too, IIRC.
Old 07-23-12, 02:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

well it is BMW making claims, not journalists, they barely noticed the differences :-).
Old 07-23-12, 03:05 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by cino
G-Class is legendary, but being a legendary off-roader doesn't make it competitive with 20+ years chassis. LX/LC twin and RR/LR are competitive because the companies always update and give a meaningful/kool features to the trucks.
I believe that the 2013 LS will have slightly different sheet metals here and there and some chassis modifications (just my prediction). I think it will have 8 speed too, IIRC.
You're right about that, as part of me has hoped they would re-engineer the G-Class from the ground up, but clearly it would be one of their most expensive propositions ever so they forego it and let it reach 41 years with only one massive change in 1989. The G-Class still has many modern day creature comforts as the 2013 model is a great example of that. Even my '09 has a long roster of standard features and high levels of customization I don't find in many luxury sedans.

My biggest gripe and why I ceased use of it as a daily driver is that it doesn't have Keyless Go, a feature that even Infiniti and Lexus offer as standard equipment since 2005 as well as available on every other Mercedes-Benz and mainstream cars. I was almost attacked and carjacked as a result of fumbling for my "smartkey", so since then I've been driving my G35 instead and sent it back down south.

Anyway, back to the 2013 LS. I'm not sure if there will be a chassis modification due to the fact of them retaining the code "USF40". Like you said it just might be a reskinning with different sheet metal. It literally seems as if all the luxury auto manufactures have been employing use of current platforms or evolutionary redesigns for new models that were in early or mid development/design stages during 2008 and 2009. Could this be a result of the recession?
Old 07-23-12, 06:37 AM
dozorca
Driver School Candidate

From a Polish car news site. The LS will have a similar front end to that of GS.

Judge for yourself if it's real...

Link to article: http://www.motofilm.pl/2012/07/20/no...j-prezentacji/
Old 07-23-12, 06:55 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dozorca
From a Polish car news site. The LS will have a similar front end to that of GS.

That's just the LFGh concept.
Old 07-23-12, 07:01 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
That's just the LFGh concept.
OMG.. LoL

The current LS will receive the NEW Spindle Grill UPDATE...
Along with a ton of other interior & exterior finite changes...

Plain & Simple UPDATE..

We will all be happy once we see the "Official Photos"..

~ Joe Z
Old 07-23-12, 09:10 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by dozorca

LF-Gh concept like others said. I doubt Lexus will get caught slipping and let leaked photos get out this time around, this debut will go down to the wire on the 30th.
Attached Thumbnails 2013 Lexus LS Unveiling-05-lexus-lf-gh-concept-live.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2013 Lexus LS Unveiling