Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Lexus LS Unveiling

Old 07-14-12, 06:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

also just because something is called same doesnt mean it is the same :-).
Most features found in cheaper cars are cheaper versions of same features in more expensive cars.

For instance, when i first turned on my seat ventilation in IS220d, after 2 hrs i noticed some weird sound... then i discovered it is ventilators making sound... I had 3GS for 3 years and never noticed it. Almost everything is like that, from the quality of materials, to the technical features.
Old 07-14-12, 06:21 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
I like the new ES... I like it a lot. I wish it was sold here in Europe so I could buy it.
I wish it was a lot better car than LS and GS and IS, so then I would not have to spend my hard earned money on those.

But reality is that it does not have LED lights, it doesnt have HUD, it doesnt have 12.3", it doesnt have amounts of leather and wood as GS, let alone LS, and it certainly will have everything lesser than those models. It is also FWD.

Now since GS450h F-Sport is $130k right now here, I might convince myself that next gen IS300h is much much better car than GS450h or LS600h, but in reality, there is a reason ES will be 10k less expensive than GS.

I forgot about the LED lights yeah, certain options won't be there. I personally liked everything about it except for the nav screen. They left this huge opening in the dash, that was clearly made to fit a 12" screen, but instead they put this tiny thing inside that does not look it belongs there. Not sure about the next IS, but I think the new LS is most likely getting the 12" nav screen.

Last edited by SNiiP3R; 07-14-12 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-14-12, 07:50 AM
R1cky
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GS's big brother
Old 07-14-12, 09:05 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I forgot about the LED lights yeah, certain options won't be there. I personally liked everything about it except for the nav screen. They left this huge opening in the dash, that was clearly made to fit a 12" screen, but instead they put this tiny thing inside that does not look it belongs there. Not sure about the next IS, but I think the new LS is most likely getting the 12" nav screen.
i am sure you liked it... personally old ES i would never get, but new one looks premium, both inside and out.
Old 07-14-12, 01:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I am surprised there hasnt been a leaked photo this close to the debut date
Old 07-14-12, 02:44 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^There were some spy shots that were posted on the Lexus enthusiast a few weeks ago...

Wish I was able to go to this event... Its in my home town!
Old 07-14-12, 05:52 PM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ES will not have every gizmo as GS, nor it will be luxurious as GS.
It might be that I wrote it wrong or the interpretation was wrong, but I wasn't referring to the ES, it was the LS.

I like the new ES... I like it a lot. I wish it was sold here in Europe so I could buy it.
I wish it was a lot better car than LS and GS and IS, so then I would not have to spend my hard earned money on those.

But reality is that it does not have LED lights, it doesnt have HUD, it doesnt have 12.3", it doesnt have amounts of leather and wood as GS, let alone LS, and it certainly will have everything lesser than those models. It is also FWD.

Now since GS450h F-Sport is $130k right now here, I might convince myself that next gen IS300h is much much better car than GS450h or LS600h, but in reality, there is a reason ES will be 10k less expensive than GS.
I like the ES as well and I hope it gets to Europe, I always thought that this car is what people wanted, a nice luxury roomier car inside the entry-level luxury car as opposed to the the sporty IS. Price tag will be pretty much the same as the IS so I do think it will sell like hot cakes.
Old 07-14-12, 06:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by asoksevil
I like the ES as well and I hope it gets to Europe, I always thought that this car is what people wanted, a nice luxury roomier car inside the entry-level luxury car as opposed to the the sporty IS. Price tag will be pretty much the same as the IS so I do think it will sell like hot cakes.
it was confirmed that ES is not going to Europe (or Japan) - only to Ukraine and Russia, as before. This is, of course, crazy decision... If Audi can have FWD, so can Lexus.
Old 07-14-12, 06:29 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
^There were some spy shots that were posted on the Lexus enthusiast a few weeks ago...

Wish I was able to go to this event... Its in my home town!
Not really, the last ones were in late May, which is over a month ago. I think I was the one who posted them here actually, as I couldn't find anything new at Lexus Enthusiast or anywhere else. I had to notify them about the new spy shots I had found and they later uploaded them on June 4th. There haven't been any new ones since.
Old 07-14-12, 10:13 PM
asoksevil
Pole Position

it was confirmed that ES is not going to Europe (or Japan) - only to Ukraine and Russia, as before. This is, of course, crazy decision... If Audi can have FWD, so can Lexus.
I can't remember the source now but I read that the ES will go into production next year for right hand drive cars. So this can only mean that it will be sold in Japan, south east Asian countries or Australia. There's also a slightly chance to see it in the UK... So if the ES performs well we might see it in other European countries.
Old 07-15-12, 01:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by asoksevil
I can't remember the source now but I read that the ES will go into production next year for right hand drive cars. So this can only mean that it will be sold in Japan, south east Asian countries or Australia. There's also a slightly chance to see it in the UK... So if the ES performs well we might see it in other European countries.
unfortunately no, Lexus EU said no plans to bring ES, and Lexus Japan said that ES will not be sold there.

For them, they think they raise the profile of Lexus by not offering FWD large sedan. They dont understand that the profile does not exist anyway :-)
Old 07-15-12, 03:34 AM
asoksevil
Pole Position

unfortunately no, Lexus EU said no plans to bring ES, and Lexus Japan said that ES will not be sold there.

For them, they think they raise the profile of Lexus by not offering FWD large sedan. They dont understand that the profile does not exist anyway :-)
I found the source from where I got the information.

This is an interview between Mark Templin, General Manager of Lexus USA and Kevin Watts Editor from Lexus Enthusiast:

Kevin: And you’re doing a right hand drive, correct? Maybe we’ll see it in a market like Australia?

Mark: We haven’t announced where we’re going to sell it yet, but there’s huge potential in a lot of markets where we haven’t offered it because we didn’t have right-hand drive.

So we will launch this year in left-hand drive markets, and it will be a big seller for us — we have over 1,000,000 ES customers on the road who love the brand, love the dealers, love their cars, and I think we’ll be very successful with them.

Then next year, we’ll launch in select right-hand drive markets.
http://lexusenthusiast.com/2012/04/2...how-interview/

And then we have this speculation whether the ES should be manufactured in the US or not:

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2012/06/1...les-estimates/

From this source: http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/...blog/27120510/

We find that the ES300h might replace the HS250h as it has been done in the US (that's from what I can understand using Google translate)

Maybe because of the introduction of the right-hand-drive ES in other markets? Since Europe is not getting it but what about Japan?... We might see it in South East Asia and Australia.

--------

Now regarding the new LS... here are some more insights:

The new LS design will be quite different than the previous one featuring new equipment. Pricing will be pretty much the same as the current LS (as we have seen with the new GS).

However, fuel economy has not been improved (LS460), hybrid batteries have no been changed, trunk space has not been changed as well, and the wheelbase is the same one as the current LS. Handling and driving dynamics have been improved.

Exterior colors from the new GS will be aded to the new LS and so as the exclusive F Sport colors.

It seems that this LS is not a complete model change but a major refresh

Here are some features of the F Sport package

■ F SPORT (Google translate from Japanese)

Rear bumper sports only a dedicated LED fog lights front bumper · F F · F exclusive sports Sport (+ Roamekkiba paint Loa only)
F-only sport emblem (fender)
Only F-Sport forged wheels (BBS is made ​​by polishing the surface shape. As well as SZ)
• Setting the F-only sports body color (white Nova glass flakes)
Interior panel aluminum + carbon only [F sport? ]
[Two-color black (white gray perforations), of mellow white-only] F sport aluminum pedal, sports seat-only footrest · F
Black scuff plates [character], only F Sport LEXUS
Only dedicated sports suspension and brake F · F Brembo front calipers sport [to enter] LEXUS logo 6pod
F-Sport sound generator only [460] only (curious about what's this, like the BMW's M5 sound modder?)

Exterior

· ALL-LED headlamps are standard [600h, the MOP 460]
Black bumpers in the ALL-LED tail light · LED fog lamp grill grille spindle extension of body size change the design of all vehicles ※ △ common mosquito door mirrors (dark gray) (about +3 cm in length)
• Change bonnet design

Interior

Speed speedometer display speedometer increments a big design change, for up to 180 inside that small increments of up to 280 · The needle is now double, double representation of the speed display on the outside? (There is also the possibility of also shown kg + miles)
· LED analog clock (linked GPS)
12.3 inches-touch navigation & remote (Leather)
· LED ambient light panel to ornament the front passenger seat (door trim [No]
△ multifunctional 18way power seats, etc. []
· Blu-ray Disc playback support [only] Rear Entertainment System
Supports SD memory card playback rear entertainment systems only []
Months of LED lamp-room champagne gold system []
Steering wheel, change the design of the adoption of a dedicated [LS, smaller diameter] "(tentative name) Eruarinin leather?" Of superlative
This genuine leather shift **** and aluminum + [LS] only
• Adoption of a dedicated shift boots [460. No shift boots 600h]
Power-up of the seat heater.
(Only executive or L) air-conditioners and heater feature the world's first senses the body temperature to adjust
-New interior panel has been adopted in [GS, Agathis (Thurs stripe), Silver Leaf Wood dedicated system LS)
· With L-SELECT. (W do not remember about nine theme there?)

■ proximity alarm and rear vehicle safety equipment [BMS] MOP's first domestic Lexus ※ · Adaptive high beam automatic radar Cruise + person ※ MOP support and new Pre-crash Safety ※ 52,500 yen (hard to explain ...)

■ · Noise Reduction wheel body rigidity strengthening adding "Comfort" in the drive mode select PERFORMANCE (setting. Wheels reduce road noise pattern from the year 2013)
[FR] LSD Torusen only car-

Fuel
460 no change s
600h is the better 0.6km / L, 11.6km / L in JC08 mode

■ other quietness up further
※ key card (Leather + larger) No arc only change the smart key LS.

Last edited by asoksevil; 07-15-12 at 03:43 AM.
Old 07-15-12, 05:06 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Basically all the inside tech from 4GS is in facelifted LS now. Good stuff.

Only gripe is no improvement on 600h model. Not even restacking the batteries
Old 07-15-12, 06:13 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I guess if they are not planning on keeping this model for more than 2 years, then these changes will do for now. Otherwise it could fail big time...
Old 07-15-12, 03:21 PM
NoLFA4U
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

look at the market, bmw doesn't even have anything
Not anymore. http://carbuzz.com/news/2012/7/15/M7...eries-7709797/

I really hope Lexus puts a LS-F into production!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Lexus LS Unveiling