Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Ford F-150 Limited unveiled as range-topping luxury truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-12, 09:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2013 Ford F-150 Limited unveiled as range-topping luxury truck

2013 Ford F-150 Limited unveiled as range-topping luxury truck

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-ford-f-150-limited/

The F-150 Limited is back – more powerful, more luxurious and more expensive than any other 2013 F-150.

Ford Motor Co. is taking the wraps off the new Limited today in Dearborn. It will feature a unique look, a lush red interior and nearly every bell and whistle Ford can muster, surpassing the high-end Ford Platinum F-150.

"There's still a strong demand for luxury pickups and the Limited will help us meet that demand," said Ford spokesman Mike Levine.

Indeed, Ford says 30 percent of its pickup sales are the luxury trucks it offers such as the Lariat, Harley Davidson and King Ranch models. Each has carved out a niche, appealing to the inner street racer, biker or cowboy in need of a pickup. Currently, a Platinum F-150 rings up the top price of all F-150s, starting at $44,635. But the Limited will exceed that with its standard loaded up interior that includes everything from a moonroof and aluminum trim to heated and cooled seats.

It will also outperform its predecessor, the 2011 F-150 Limited. Ford has added its 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6 under this new model's red hood, giving it 365 horsepower and up to 22 mpg on the highway. There's also standard HID headlamps, 22-inch polished aluminum wheels and that special branding of the word "Limited" on the rear quarter panel.

This truck may not be for everyone, but some drivers are going to love it.

Ford Sets Truck Standard Again with New F-150 Limited, Offering Class-Leading Luxury and Capability

• Building on three decades of truck leadership and a decade of luxury pickup innovation, Ford marks the 2013 model year with its most refined F-150 yet
• Offering standard SYNC® with MyFord Touch®, navigation with Sirius Travel Link™, rain-sensing windshield wipers and high-intensity discharge (HID) headlamps, F-150 Limited features an unprecedented level of customer convenience and connectivity technologies
• Featuring series-specific Limited details on the exterior like dimensional box-side lettering and unique 22-inch polished aluminum wheels, F-150 Limited has stylish red and black full-grain leather and genuine aluminum and piano black finishes

DEARBORN, Mich., June 26, 2012 – Ford, the industry's truck leader, marks the launch of the latest F-150 with a new statement on pickup luxury for 2013 – the F-150 Limited.

"The F-150 Limited signifies the highest levels of design refinement, luxury and technology that we've ever offered in a Built Ford Tough pickup truck," said Ford Group Vice President for Product Development, Raj Nair. "The F-150 Limited reflects a growing trend – more and more customers today have high expectations for luxury and convenience, yet their needs call for a truly capable truck."

Ford leads the luxury truck segment. In 1999, the company introduced the special-edition 2000 Harley-Davidson F-150. In 2001, the first King Ranch F-150 arrived. The 2009 F-150 took truck luxury to new heights with the Platinum model.

Today, more than 30 percent of F-150 sales are from these high-end trims, with MSRPs that start at more than $35,000 and reach almost $50,000.

Limited meets the still untapped and growing luxury needs of customers and dealers interested in exclusivity and fine craftsmanship who want to differentiate themselves from other high-end options. F-150 Limited surpasses the well-appointed Lariat, western-themed King Ranch and contemporary Platinum.

Refined exterior design
The 2013 Ford F-150 Limited design combines unique 22-inch polished aluminum wheels and center caps with a monochromatic exterior theme available in three handsome hues – Ruby Red Metallic Tinted Clearcoat, Tuxedo Black Metallic and White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat.

The theme carries through the F-150 Limited exterior design with body-color front and rear bumpers, front bumper valance, sideview mirror caps, wheel-lip molding, upper fascia and grille surround.

Segment-first HID headlamps provide a signature look while delivering two and a half times more light than conventional halogen lamps. Lamp detailing even incorporates F-150 insignias.

Jewel-like chrome highlights the bold three-bar grille, tie-down hooks lining the cargo box, the single tip of the tuned exhaust and the tow hooks on 4x4 variants. "LIMITED" dimensional lettering accents the box sides.

F-150 Limited is available exclusively with a SuperCrew four-door cab configuration.

Inside Limited
Rich red and black full-grain leather seats take luxury and style to new heights in trucks – capitalizing on a trend seen in other high-end luxury vehicles. The seats also offer cooling and heating with memory functionality to remember seating preferences for two different drivers. Head restraints are four-way-adjustable and second-row seats are heated, too.

Aluminum trims the center panel and console, lending a sophisticated yet technical touch that complements the piano black accents. Ambient lighting can shift the mood of the F-150 Limited interior, offering five accent colors.

A standard moonroof provides the upward view, while the rear view camera aids maneuvering visibility. Voice-activated navigation offers a bird's-eye view via a centrally mounted 8-inch LCD screen. A power-sliding rear window features privacy tint and defrost functionality.

Connectivity comes standard with MyFord Touch® powered by SYNC®. Designers have optimized the physical interface for MyFord Touch to accommodate truck users who may be wearing work gloves by providing easy access to climate controls and audio presets on the center stack.

Limited offers a unique gauge cluster design with a 4.2-inch driver-programmable productivity screen that can be customized to monitor various vehicle systems. The new series level also includes a media hub with USB ports, an SD-card reader and RCA video input jacks. A powerful Sony® Audio System is standard.

Built Ford Tough
F-150 Limited brings uncompromised capability for entrepreneurial and lifestyle pursuits with an electronic six-speed automatic transmission with tow/haul mode, trailer tow package, trailer brake controller, Reverse Sensing System, power-deployable running boards and a 110-volt power inverter.

PowerFold side mirrors keep warm and dry in inclement weather and help ensure driver visibility with heated glass, memory position functionality, puddle lamps, turn signals and self-dimming actuation.

F-150 Limited is powered exclusively by Ford's ground breaking 3.5-liter Ti-VCT EcoBoost® engine, featuring:
• 365 horsepower at 5,000 rpm on regular fuel
• Unsurpassed 22 mpg highway for 4x2 model
• Twin independent variable camshaft timing for improved fuel economy
• Best-in-class 420 lb.-ft. of torque at 2,500 rpm vs. premium V8 competitors
• Up to 90 percent peak torque available from 1,700 rpm to 5,000 rpm

To complement that power, sport-tuned dampers are fitted front and rear for confidence-inspiring road dynamics.

F-150 Limited arrives at dealerships this fall.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/26/2...%28Autoblog%29
Old 06-25-12, 10:00 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The red interior looks pretty good.
Old 06-26-12, 03:57 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

You all know my feelings on this. Keep tryin' Ford

Kidding, I actually kind of like this one.
Old 06-26-12, 04:42 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

"Luxury truck" is such an oxymoron.
Old 06-26-12, 05:58 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I was looking for a truck at the end of last year and looked hard at the F150 King Ranch. While the King Ranch leather was great and truck was powerful, roomy, and comfortable, the build quality stunk. There were ugly sloppy welds visible, power mirrors that didn't work, driveline clunk, grease on the leather, etc. A base level Tundra I looked at had much higher quality. I would have bought the Tundra, but Carguy told me about a LX470 that was for sale and the rest is history.
Old 06-26-12, 06:09 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice!
Old 06-26-12, 06:35 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I can't wait for the day that Lexus builds a Pickup off the Tundra. There is quite a large market in the US for Luxo-pickups. Some of us rednecks want luxury and reliability too! LOL.
Old 06-26-12, 08:30 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

looks good. I know the KingRanch and Platinum rides are nice and comfy for a truck, this limited's price tag though will be outrageous.
Old 06-26-12, 09:13 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I can't wait for the day that Lexus builds a Pickup off the Tundra. There is quite a large market in the US for Luxo-pickups. Some of us rednecks want luxury and reliability too! LOL.
Didn't do to well for the Lincoln Blackwood or Mark LT. Of course of all Luxury makes I expect BMW to take a stab at it first since they love to dabble in just about every segment lol
Old 06-26-12, 09:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
"Luxury truck" is such an oxymoron.
maybe there in the uk (i just got back by the way!), but in the u.s. a successful construction firm guy or farm owner for example may well need the functions of a truck but want the comfort/amenities this offers.

Originally Posted by caddyowner
While the King Ranch leather was great and truck was powerful, roomy, and comfortable, the build quality stunk. There were ugly sloppy welds visible, power mirrors that didn't work, driveline clunk, grease on the leather, etc.
surprising as it is of course the highest selling vehicle of any kind in the u.s.

visible welds isn't a quality issue, it's a design/cosmetic objection for some. ford seems to not care about this, and maybe their research indicates some consumers even like it as maybe it makes the truck look tough or something... i dunno

power mirrors not working? sounds bizarre, maybe disabled somehow? i've bought one f-150 and one explorer, and both had excellent build quality. yes, some welds were visible like you said, and my explorer (still have it) had a tiny paint defect while the f-150 was flawless.
Old 06-26-12, 09:37 AM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

It's not an oxymoron. I would totally rock a Tacoma TRD luxury hybrid truck
Old 06-26-12, 10:06 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

<not diggin the red leather, but I do like the king ranch leather from time to time
Old 06-27-12, 04:54 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
maybe there in the uk (i just got back by the way!), but in the u.s. a successful construction firm guy or farm owner for example may well need the functions of a truck but want the comfort/amenities this offers.
I know - I've met them - they tool up in this great chromed monstrosity, but when you look in the load bed it's pristine - it's never been used for it's primary purpose - as a truck!

It's all about the image they want to project, but ask to borrow their truck to take some stuff down the tip and they look at you in horror. What I should have said is that there are trucks, and then there are luxury Tonka toys.

BTW - thanks for bringing all that lovely Florida weather over with ya!
Old 06-27-12, 05:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
I know - I've met them - they tool up in this great chromed monstrosity, but when you look in the load bed it's pristine - it's never been used for it's primary purpose - as a truck!
my brother there in england has a range rover tdv8 - it never even sees a speck of dirt in it and usually only has him in it. is that a chromed monstrosity too?

It's all about the image they want to project,
nothing unique there about a buyer of this truck!

BTW - thanks for bringing all that lovely Florida weather over with ya!
quite welcome! can't blame me though, the floods came there before my arrival! but you can have this new storm debbie - some parts of florida have had 25" of rain from it!