Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why are black cars currently so popular?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-12, 01:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

now that I think about it I dont remember the last time I saw a white vette. In the end though people like white more than any other color. This is why some manufacturers will have two shades of white in their line up. I live in AZ so white is VERY popular
Old 06-25-12, 01:28 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A BMW Client Adviser told me that I think 60% of the cars they order for their lot are in black, because that's what will sell quickly. Yes it's color neutral so it will go with anything, including different interior colors. And yeah black cars do look pretty darned good and luxurious. I personally have no interest in owning another black car. My Maxima was black. What a PITA that thing was to keep clean!
Old 06-25-12, 01:44 PM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Colors make a statement, but black is silent.
Old 06-25-12, 01:44 PM
DVIOUS350
Driver School Candidate

I've owned four black cars and one white. The last three cars including my current IS350 was supposed to be white but black were more available. Yes, as everyone said, pain in the a** to take care of, everything shows up on it, bird specifically aims for it. But when u shine it up, nothing is like black. I clean mine religiously but that's only cuz I'm crazy and obsessed.
Old 06-25-12, 01:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Lexus black is one of the worst, it's a single stage paint with no clear, if I remembered right. After a while, all things show up, it gets scratches, swrils so easily.

And I agree the MB and BMW black is harder, it was easier to clean my old S class after a wash, but it was still PITA.
hehe, given how much i don't care about my s, i am so glad it's in fantastic silver
Old 06-25-12, 01:55 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rather have a white exterior VS black. But I do like my interiors black.
Old 06-25-12, 02:59 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

A vote here for black. When the clear coat is polished to a mirror you can understand why it's called volcanic glass - obsidian.

White does hide flaws well, no doubt about that. Just personal preference for sure, but white is last color I would consider for a car. As long as I'm healthy enough to maintain it, its black. Or, not as likely, can afford to pay someone else to maintain it !!

Salt in the winter is the worst.
Old 06-25-12, 03:19 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Black is a prestigious color, all limos are black and people look at
It that way. Imho i prefer white over black anyday.
Old 06-25-12, 03:41 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

I don't know about you guys but white looks ridiculously good on the 370z, M3 and C63.
Old 06-25-12, 04:21 PM
linus73
Lead Lap

i have a black is250, i hate taking care nof it, cause its a pita to upkeep. my next lexus will not be black! silver or smokey mica. its true, after a nice wash and wax/buff the next wash its full of dust and swirls. my car is kept in a garage all day when im at work, and mostly comes out after 6pm. so i hit it with the duster here and there plus some detail spray and that seems to work fine.
Old 06-25-12, 05:16 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

we have 3 black cars out of the 4 cars we own. However, we get the metallic black whenever possible so the RX is the new stargazer black and the C the Obsidian black. I feel that it really hides the scratches much better than a flat black.

I just love the look of a clean black car
Old 06-25-12, 05:17 PM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

after my first black car i swore them off also. but somehow i keep coming back to them. two of my cars are black on black right now. i will admit though, i would not do a black daily driver. i prefer a metallic black. they are much easier to maintain
Old 06-25-12, 05:20 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
There is simply nothing like a clean black car....classy, sporty, looks good for any occasion...
That's true. What else is true is that probably less than 1% of black cars you ever see are clean. Most are swirl city. Everything shows on a black car more....bird etchings, scratches, swirls, chips.... so most of them look like crap unless they are dedicated show cars and were polished properly, aka not $50 details where the kid was just messing around with a a buffer putting in holos.
Old 06-25-12, 05:31 PM
LexFather

Sinister...black....droooool

This thread needs more pics

Old 06-25-12, 05:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
There is simply nothing like a clean black car....classy, sporty, looks good for any occasion...
Black is traditionally associated with limo, funeral, and VIP-executive-cars, but I agree.....lately we have seen it expand markedly to sports/high-performance-cars.

I also agree, as you note, that a clean black car can have an unparalleled shine (assuming it is free of orange-peel, which many black cars aren't). But keeping it that way can be a lot of work. (And yes, it can be argued that retired people like me have the time for it)

When I was in high school (late 60s), almost nobody drove a black car (even if it was their parents' car)...it was considered nerdy, though a local cop who lived across street from me owned an unusual jet-black Pontiac GTO (and, trust me, he could [FONT="Arial Black"]drive [FONT] it. Bright colors on muscle-cars were all the rage, like the lime-green and purple/violet Plum-Crazy on Dodge/Plymouth muscle-cars and Pontiac's bright-orange Judge GTO.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-25-12 at 05:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Why are black cars currently so popular?