Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tennessee DMV offices using iPads to speed transactions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-12, 08:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Tennessee DMV offices using iPads to speed transactions

Tennessee DMV offices using iPads to speed transactions

Long lines, short tempers, small staffs and big demand make for a hellish experience at the DMV. The great, wide state of Tennessee is looking to technology for relief. Around the state, at 26 DMV offices, the state's Department of Homeland Security has deployed 76 Apple iPads for drivers renewing their licenses.

Being the creation of a government agency, the program gets its own acronym: ASSETS (automatic self service electronic terminals). Each iPad has proprietary apps installed that let drivers get their renewed licenses within minutes. They can also change their addresses and, in the near future, will be able to schedule road-test appointments.

ASSETTS cost $79,200 and replaced old equipment already being replaced. While Tennessee residents won't be able to put the app on their own iPads, the same services are available online.

NASHVILLE --- The Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security is using Apple iPad technology in its state driver service centers to help improve wait times for customers who need to renew or replace driver licenses.

The department has installed 72 iPad kiosks, called ASSETS (automatic self-service electronic terminals), inside 26 driver service centers across Tennessee, primarily located in the state's urban areas. Customers who visit specified driver service centers to simply renew or replace a lost driver license may use a special application installed on the iPads to quickly complete and pay for the transaction using a credit or debit card. The customer should get the new driver license within minutes of the transaction. Other services available on the iPad ASSETS include the ability to change addresses on existing driver licenses and process reinstatement payments. (Applicants for reinstatement must still submit the required documents to be eligible for this service.) In the near future, customers will be able to use the iPads to schedule road test appointments.

"Reducing the wait time at driver service centers is one of our top priorities. These self-service iPad stations will cut down on the number of customers waiting for service from a driver license examiner and will help reduce the overall wait time for all customers," Commissioner Bill Gibbons said.

The department also encourages citizens to renew driver licenses online at www.tn.gov. Several other driver services are available on this site, 24-hours day, including address change and duplicate license requests.

The iPad ASSETS cost $79,200 and were purchased to replace existing equipment that reached the end of its service life. The iPads were ideal because of their smaller size and built-in touch screen keyboards. Additionally, the wireless capability makes the iPads accessible from any location inside the driver service center.

A list of driver service center locations where iPad ASSETS are available is attached.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/01/t...-transactions/
Old 07-02-12, 04:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

very cool.
Old 07-03-12, 03:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

very cool but its a cold waiting to happen. Think of all of the nasty people who will be touching those things. I hope them clean them well
Old 07-03-12, 08:08 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a matter of time, more and more touch screen devices are popping up, tablets just make sense
Old 07-03-12, 10:52 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I only go to the DMV now once in 5 years, to renew my license. I have no other reason to go there unless I'm purchasing a car. I renew my registration online because the staff at our local DMV are incompetent morons with some serious attitude problems.