Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura's "beak" is here to stay

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-12, 11:10 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
Acura is just so far behind period. Their build quality isn't actually as good as some may think. The interior quality of the leather is TERRIBLE. All of my friends with 3rd Gen Acura TLs (the one pervious to the current ugly model), all of them, the leather is falling apart. The side bolsters are starting to show a lot of wear. The perforation in the seats aren't even perforated anymore because they've been so worn. Next time I'm I see my friends, i'll take pics of how bad their driver seat is compared to my IS F. The build quality is suffering along with their designs and sales.

Yeah...who knows what those guys are thinking....
Materials used and assembly are two different things. Honda/Acura's assembly is almost second to none. It's very well put together, and fit and finish is seamless.
Old 06-19-12, 11:19 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Materials used and assembly are two different things. Honda/Acura's assembly is almost second to none. It's very well put together, and fit and finish is seamless.
True. I'd had Honda cars and bikes, the build quality is really awesome.
Old 06-20-12, 08:15 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like Acura designers are making the decision to go down with the ship.

That's just good news for Lexus, Audi, BMW, and MB.

Everyone on ClubLexus has been calling Acura out on its missteps for years and it should be no surprise to anyone that Acura still has its head in the sand.
Old 06-20-12, 08:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Originally Posted by cino
True. I'd had Honda cars and bikes, the build quality is really awesome.
Exactly. It's possible, as Just F Me pointed out, that Honda/Acura leather may not always be the best, and, yes, the new Civic has a lot of cheap plastic inside. But, when you examine the fit/finish and overall assembly quality of their products, work the smooth-operating controls, shut the Swiss-watch-precise doors, etc.... Honda simply wrote the book on how to assemble a vehicle at the factory. It can be argued, though, that, for the money, Toyota/Lexus and Audi have the best paint-jobs, but a number of other manufacturers are now close.....GM and Chrysler, especially, have shown vast improvements in the last couple of years.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-20-12 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-20-12, 08:57 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My parents have 2010 or 2011 MDX, and the leather quality is excellent, second to none.
Old 06-20-12, 10:49 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know since all the recent Honda/Acura models I have seen shows excessive wear and tear (IMO) after a while.
Old 06-20-12, 11:12 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I don't know since all the recent Honda/Acura models I have seen shows excessive wear and tear (IMO) after a while.
They crack and wrinkle very easily. This is one of the downfall of Acura interiors (sorta how Audi interior downfall is how the coating peels off the buttons and ***** after time).
Old 06-20-12, 01:32 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Toyota leathers easily show cracks. The difference is Toyota leathers are softer when you touch them. Theyre more plush, but in the long run, they are equally prone to being hardened if not taken care of.
Old 06-22-12, 02:23 PM
LexFather

Whats really just ridiculous while Acura styling in the past might have been at worst bland, in most cases it was at least handsome or fine! I never recalled anyone in the past in conversations *****ing about Acura styling. I think most even agree cars like NSX, 2nd gen Legend, 3rd gen TL are quite awesome designs. What people *****ed about was

-no RWD
-no V-8 or true power
-no sports cars
-no real luxury options/features
-no hybrids
-cheaper quality of materials
etc etc

Styling actually was a plus for them or at least a non-issue. The problem of styling is the core of Acura's problem as Honda has limited them by not investing in them to be a real luxury marque. So instead of investing in new drivetrains and new engines we got new styling in the same old package with 5 speed automatics (finally OMG updated to 6 in some cases). They fooled themselves if they thought luxury buyers were that easy to fool outside of their most loyal fans. They have lost so many loyal buyers b/c of stubborness to elevate themselves and their styling its sad to watch. . Recent data again shows most Acura's are crosshopped with Hondas and Toyotas first and then luxury brands.

Then from a design standpoint a grill is there to let air in yet here they are blocking air with a plastic chrome beak. It goes against good design down to the root. You know you have a design problem when the first thing people say is "hey can I paint the grill body color" to hide the very thing Acura wants to showcase. I don't want to hear their lame excuse 'OMG THE MARKET IMPLODED" when seemingly every other brand continued to forge ahead with their plans. They didn't blame the market and cancel important projects. This is the same company who's CEO said "The Honda Crosstour styling is fine". Seriously are they that stubborn/oblivious?

"I told you so" isn't quite fitting. But "I told you so".

Old 06-22-12, 09:46 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Acura's Plumetting Sales Figures are Here to Stay
Old 06-22-12, 09:47 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RX_330
They crack and wrinkle very easily. This is one of the downfall of Acura interiors (sorta how Audi interior downfall is how the coating peels off the buttons and ***** after time).
so true, my Audi's buttons are all missing their color. Don't forget German LCD's in the instrument cluster.... all junk
Old 06-22-12, 10:00 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
Acura's Plumetting Sales Figures are Here to Stay
YTD Acura +11%
For May Acura +62%
Old 06-23-12, 11:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You know you have a design problem when the first thing people say is "hey can I paint the grill body color" to hide the very thing Acura wants to showcase.
That is not an exaggeration. Mike is correct. Some Acura shops (depending on if the dealer-management will allow it) have indeed been quietly repainting the chrome-beaks for several years, at customer- request. Even the Acura reps at the auto shows are aware of that.
Old 06-26-12, 01:04 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Acura is the new spoke's brand for "Angry Bird's Car" -- Their motto should be: If you love Angry birds then come drive our 'Beaked' Car for bird lovers alike..

NEW MARKETING SLOGAN --> "GOT BEAK?"

Definitely, NOBODY WILL COPY YOU, ACURA!! GOOD JOB for being Original..