Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura's "beak" is here to stay

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-12, 09:37 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

if the beak is here to stay...then the sales will continue to leave. I have so many friends that chose not to buy an Acura when the new 4th gen TL was released. The 3rd Gen TL was a fantastic looking car...you see TONS of them on the road....4th gen...not so much...it's actually pretty rare I think....
Old 06-18-12, 09:38 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
This is freaking AMAZING!
Old 06-18-12, 09:40 PM
LexFather

OMFG 1sick OMFG how dare you write this article.....

oh wait

OMG!!! How dare you make that comment where everyone in this thread 100% agrees ;D

Nothing to say....everyone said it

Old 06-18-12, 10:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
OMG!!! How dare you make that comment where everyone in this thread 100% agrees ;D
I'll agree 99.99%, Mike. The other .01%? Heck, Acura's admittedly good build quality has got to count for something.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-19-12 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-18-12, 10:09 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the newer models' beaks are not that bad. The old ones were really horrible.
Old 06-18-12, 11:10 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't mind the beak, as long as it's toned down. The pre-facelift TL grill was the most offensive one. The one that replaced it isn't as bad. Tone it down even further and you might have a grill that's tolerable
Old 06-18-12, 11:11 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

This is another very clear example of what has gotten Acura/Honda in trouble in the first place. They do not have the ability to listen to customers (and the masses) and act accordingly. It's the ultimate form or arrogance or ignorance (or both). It's like if you took a college course test and got a "D" and then actually believed it was an "A." Repeat the fantasy for a few years and eventually you flunk out of school. This is why I have absolutely no faith the next Accord or next anything will be any better. The company thinking has not changed one bit.
Old 06-19-12, 01:14 AM
superchan7
Lead Lap

They've made the grille much better looking over the past 3 years, but this kind of talk about resisting feedback and "consumers getting used to it" is not sending the right message for a company that wants to earn business.

The proper way to say it is "better integrating the design of the grille through customer feedback."
Old 06-19-12, 03:18 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I was at Acura dealer a few weeks back checking out the new RDX and was looking around. I had a long discussion with the GSM about the "Beak".. but they continue to push these cars hard. I said, Nah, I rather drive a Hyundai Genesis "If" I ever steer away from Lexus.. LOL
Old 06-19-12, 06:20 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Just F Me
if the beak is here to stay...then the sales will continue to leave. I have so many friends that chose not to buy an Acura when the new 4th gen TL was released. The 3rd Gen TL was a fantastic looking car...you see TONS of them on the road....4th gen...not so much...it's actually pretty rare I think....
I work for a very big company but in a smaller office of about 40 people. There are 4 people with 3rd gen TLs here, and all four of them think the new one is hideous and are holding onto their 3rd gens. Those cars still look great today, although they're definitely getting older. One guy says the revised TL doesn't look nearly as bad now but is still pretty ugly. Doesn't help that Consumer Reports isn't all that impressed with it either saying that it doesn't offer that much more than a fully loaded Accord V6, and the Honda costs a lot less money. Maybe that's because it's still the same Honda Accord "bones" throughout all of Acura's lineup. Think they should change that? They really ought to go to RWD and start putting the Acuras on their own platforms like Lexus and Infiniti have done for ages now. Nobody wants fixed up Honda Accord Acuras anymore. Lexus and Infiniti and pretty much everybody else offer so much more, and their cars aren't ugly either. Remember back when Acuras were considered the best looking cars in the industry? Yeah that was back in the 3G TL era. Now they've even messed that up. I have no sympathy for Honda/Acura anymore.
Old 06-19-12, 06:38 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Acura beak is fail no matter what kind of spin or damage control employed in order to defend this ugly-*** beak.

For instance, I was comparing the KB2.

versus

The difference of the front grille alone is so huge (like the difference between and )

If Acura continues to insist on this beak, then expect sales to continue on stagnation or downturn.......
Old 06-19-12, 06:50 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Acura beak is fail no matter what kind of spin or damage control employed in order to defend this ugly-*** beak.

For instance, I was comparing the KB2.

versus

The difference of the front grille alone is so huge (like the difference between and )

If Acura continues to insist on this beak, then expect sales to continue on stagnation or downturn.......

EDIT:
Haha interestingly, there maybe...............*some* acceptable iterations of the Acura beak that might be a pass for me.

One would be the one used in the Acura CSX (which is basically a Canadian Civic FD2).

With that said, if Acura still wants to use the 'beak', then at the very least, please, at least make it look decent enough (at the very least or bare minimum). Hopefully, the ones used in the latest RDX seem to be good enough.

We'll see.......
Old 06-19-12, 08:35 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Acura is just so far behind period. Their build quality isn't actually as good as some may think. The interior quality of the leather is TERRIBLE. All of my friends with 3rd Gen Acura TLs (the one pervious to the current ugly model), all of them, the leather is falling apart. The side bolsters are starting to show a lot of wear. The perforation in the seats aren't even perforated anymore because they've been so worn. Next time I'm I see my friends, i'll take pics of how bad their driver seat is compared to my IS F. The build quality is suffering along with their designs and sales.

Yeah...who knows what those guys are thinking....
Old 06-19-12, 08:41 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me

I agree!
The 3rd Gen TL was a great looking car.
The 4th Gen TL is still ugly with the toning down and sales have been bad.

I feel the beak looks ok on the SUV's.
Old 06-19-12, 10:12 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs down

Acura is the new spoke's brand for "Angry Bird's Car" -- Their motto should be: If you love Angry birds then come drive our 'Beaked' Car for bird lovers alike..

Quick Reply: Acura's "beak" is here to stay