Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What if Lexus made the CT F? Would you consider it?
Yes
35.71%
Yes, but with AWD!
35.71%
Maybe
9.52%
No
26.19%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

So if Mercedes is making an A Class AMG, what if Lexus had a CT F?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-12, 10:40 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if understands English...
Old 06-15-12, 02:32 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
Not sure if understands English...
You probably are unaware that most laugh at your posts here but I'll tell you anyway. Your response is to predictable, mentioning Toyota 100 times when we are actually discussing the Lexus CT. To say they don't have the R&D is beyond ridiculous since Toyota's R&D budget I believe is the largest in the industry.

If they wanted to go the German route they could ala RS3 and slap a similar engine into the CT like the 3.5 V-6 which may have stated. With the proper traction it could be an incredible pocket rocket.

Lexus needs to build this car even if it makes no sense, they sell 500 and its $50,000. Someone will buy it and it extends the "F" Marque and puts it in a rare segment not many are in.

AWD is not a necessity. I had the pleasure of talking and inspecting a 300hp Focus RS from Europe/Mexico recently and the car is simply wicked even with FWD, my thread here was posted with pictures.

Some of us like to provide proof and meet people on CL, it adds credibility to posts.

Old 06-16-12, 08:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
but I doubt Toyota has enough R&D for such a project.
Well, if they don't, then who does, except for perhaps General Motors? And even GM is not nearly the same-size corporation it was several years ago. Toyota is, (arguably), the biggest-money auto-manufacturer on the planet.
Old 06-16-12, 01:06 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=1SICKLEX;7299896]
AWD is not a necessity. I had the pleasure of talking and inspecting a 300hp Focus RS from Europe/Mexico recently and the car is simply wicked even with FWD, my thread here was posted with pictures. /QUOTE]

@1SICK/Mike (is your name Mike? If not, I apologize and please discard)

You do raise an interesting point about high-performance on an FWD vehicle.

Apparently, some people may scared of such an idea.........because any FWD vehicle that is 300 horsepower or more risks of being susceptible to a dangerous phenomenon known as 'torque steer'

Thankfully, I think Ford uses countermeasures like "Revoknuckle" as well as their QUAIFE Limited Slip Differential.

Point is: Nothing to worry about (in this case)

Anyways, I'll just say my thought on a possible approach to a CT-F

I think the idea of a high performance CT version would depend on which direction Lexus wants to take their CT.

Do they want to diversify their powertrain options OR do they want the CT to be ALL-HYBRID across the board???
Old 06-16-12, 08:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackraven
@1SICK/Mike (is your name Mike? If not, I apologize and please discard)
Both me and 1SICKLEX (along with some other posters as well) are Mikes.

That's one reason, BTW, why our personal auto reviews have different titles......1SICKReview and MM Review. Helps differentiate them.
Old 06-17-12, 07:24 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Hyrbid turbo 4 + awd. please. Thanks.
Old 06-19-12, 04:28 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

It would have to be rear wheel drive to start. Also people buy BMW and AMG as a starting point because there is huge aftermarket potential. Until Lexus cars are tunable (read, ECU) they will always have limited appeal. It will never happen, I can't even use my navigation while I'm driving!
Old 06-19-12, 11:34 PM
MANNYGTE
Driver School Candidate

Default Ct-f

I think that for the ct f they should make it rwd 6 speed manual with a 2gr fse twin turbo charged or they can put In a 2urgse naturally aspirated with a f sport package: f tuned suspension , wheel, aero, brakes , interior, etc
Old 06-20-12, 12:11 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Lexus needs to speed this up ... both in terms of raising the power in the CT, but also in bringing it to market quickly!
Old 07-18-12, 02:24 PM
svelt
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If they make a CT-F with 6 speed manual transmission that doesn't guzzle ridiculous amounts of fuel I will immediately buy it, no questions asked, no reviews needed. Fell in love with the car's looks and gas mileage immediately upon sight but the unbearably slow and uninspiring 136hp CVT put me off.
Old 07-18-12, 07:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by svelt
If they make a CT-F with 6 speed manual transmission that doesn't guzzle ridiculous amounts of fuel I will immediately buy it, no questions asked, no reviews needed. Fell in love with the car's looks and gas mileage immediately upon sight but the unbearably slow and uninspiring 136hp CVT put me off.
well manual hybrid ain't happening, and ct that isn't a hybrid seems very unlikely too (have to retool almost everything), so i'd say... ain't happening.
Old 07-18-12, 07:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Hyrbid turbo 4 + awd. please. Thanks.
Old 07-18-12, 08:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Back to the OP, on the question of a CT F-Sport, after having reviewed and driven the CT, I felt that the standard suspension/chassis was easily stiff enough (and the handling sharp enough) that it didn't need a formal F-Package, at least for the chassis. IMO, what the CT has, right now, even in standard form, can probably pass for F-grade.

Those of you who have gotten used to a comfy ES or LS, for example, will probably be shocked by the difference in both ride-stiffness and steering/handling precision when you first sample a CT. Even in base form without an F-package, it is anything but Lexus-soft in its underpinnings.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-18-12 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-18-12, 09:29 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The F line needs to expand, although I agree with the person who said it needs to expand to the GS model first.

And a question, can there be a policy to ban idiocy and subliminal trolling? The guy who 1SICKLEX responded to is an obvious Hyundai shill judging by his post history. Lexus lover my @#$$
Old 07-18-12, 10:08 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Back to the OP, on the question of a CT F-Sport, after having reviewed and driven the CT, I felt that the standard suspension/chassis was easily stiff enough (and the handling sharp enough) that it didn't need a formal F-Package, at least for the chassis. IMO, what the CT has, right now, even in standard form, can probably pass for F-grade.

Those of you who have gotten used to a comfy ES or LS, for example, will probably be shocked by the difference in both ride-stiffness and steering/handling precision when you first sample a CT. Even in base form without an F-package, it is anything but Lexus-soft in its underpinnings.
I have to agree. The CT in stock form (US Spec) gets the Yamaha made chassis dampers standard while it is optional in other world markets. The current CT handles very well, but the F Sport Factory package makes it much better. The F Sport w/F Sport accessories...well of course that's the best!

Quick Reply: So if Mercedes is making an A Class AMG, what if Lexus had a CT F?