Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Too close for comfort? 4th Gen GS & Hyundai Sonata

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-12, 05:48 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Mark X has historically been based on the GS.

Anyways I think the GS rear was the result of Lexus doing a poor job of watering down the concept rear to production. There is a mix of LS, IS, BMW and a hint of Mark X (modernized) in the GS rear.
Old 06-05-12, 06:33 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Don't worry Mr Burns.
I have a 3GS, and it's not a perfect car either, but it's still a very nice car to enjoy day to day, and we must appreciate that we are luckier than most people to be driving in any Lexus at all...
Old 06-05-12, 08:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
thanks.

because they're so similar...

1089014401_n.jpg[/IMG]
My post said since 1993, not just one vehicle. The GS tailights are an evolution of the new Lexus design I STATED previously where the taillight is now sticking away from the bodywork and part of the "Aero" of the car. For example the 4GS tails have "fins" which help the wind pass around the car. This tailight is obviously an evolution of the ES/IS/LS and now uses the new "L shaped" LED tubes when it lights up at night.

Genesis blatantly copied Lexus and now the update has the same tailight cutouts like the Lexus. It also gained the same tacked on bodykit on the sides. I don't hear anything about it. However in this thread I hear mentioning power trunk closers, siderview mirrors and probably fog lamps.

Lexus is damned if they d, damned if they don't.

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I don't think Lexus copied , why the hell would they want to copy a Hyundai ???
What probably happened is they finalized the tail design of the 4GS before they saw the Hyundai , ... But regardless , I think the rear end does not look good at all whether it's similar to a Hyundai or not ...
Exactly. Thank you for adding some ****ing common sense in this thread. We know Lexus has taken cues from others, BMW, Benz, Audi hell Ferrari etc...but seriously Hyundai? Makes absolutely zero sense. And again the Sonata is a stylish pretty good looking car.

And I agree, not a fan of the rear either. Not my favorite part of the car and sure has hell am not saying its a great or distinctive design.

Originally Posted by pavelekPL
I have to disagree on this with you. You keep saying it's an evolution. Where? We aren't talking about some LED tubes, but the overall look. When you'd take a look at 3gs there are absolutely no similarities in 3gs vs 4gs taillights. I understand this is a Lexus forum, but people need to get realistic. To me 4gs is a 'lazy' design. Even my brother who's a lexus fan boy, the first thing he said when he saw leaked pictures of 4gs - Sonata rear end.
The only way it looks the same is looking head on at the tailights. The entire body is different, its not close! From the 3/4 view its not close the SOnata has a crease, a swooping windowline and the GS has a "hoffmeister kink" and flatter sides.

Why are so many of you caught up that evolution means one thing. I didn't say the 4GS tailight is an evolution of the 3GS. I said it was a GS and Lexus evolution of design.

No one is defending the actual design of the 4GS rear, I think most of us agree its the least successful part of the car. That said for people to say "OMG ITS A HYUNDAI " need to stop overacting and be so quick to jump on Lexus all the time. Yes they are somewhat similar, hell its not the first time Lexus has been called out for sharing a design. Hyundai made a very stylish car and now we have comparisons with the GS.

Remember the GS has always been a stylish sedan, not the Sonata.

Last edited by LexFather; 06-05-12 at 08:06 PM.

Old 06-05-12, 08:27 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

The more conservative LS has an upper line angle around the tail lights, that is flat and parallel to the ground.
The more contemporary or even radical IS, has the upper line angle, that slopes downwards, towards the center of the car.

The internal line angles of both the IS and LS, slope downwards towards the center of the car.
The internal line angle of the new 4GS slopes "upwards", towards then center of the car.

In truth, all the manufacturers copy off one another these days.
It's too competitive; they must copy off one another.

Another fact too is that, the European personality is good at pioneering and innovations.
The Asian personality is good at refining those innovations.
Thus, Toyota is very slow on the lithium ion battery hybrid camp, but they don't want to use it till all the explosive bugs are sorted out.
Hence Toyotas have excellent longevity.
Slow to pioneer, but great longevity.
Slow to use aluminium boot lids and doors on the new 4GS, but great longevity...
Old 06-05-12, 08:46 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The more conservative LS has an upper line angle around the tail lights, that is flat and parallel to the ground.
The more contemporary or even radical IS, has the upper line angle, that slopes downwards, towards the center of the car.

The internal line angles of both the IS and LS, slope downwards towards the center of the car.
The internal line angle of the new 4GS slopes "upwards", towards then center of the car.

In truth, all the manufacturers copy off one another these days.
It's too competitive; they must copy off one another.

Another fact too is that, the European personality is good at pioneering and innovations.
Thus, Toyota is very slow on the lithium ion battery hybrid camp, but they don't want to use it till all the explosive bugs are sorted out.
Hence Toyotas have excellent longevity.
Slow to pioneer, but great longevity.
Slow to use aluminium boot lids and doors on the new 4GS, but great longevity...
Aside from the sloping-upward-to-the-center part of the tail light, it is very similar to the LS/ES/IS. However Toyota has been doing that style of tail light for a while. Aside from the above mentioned MarkX (which is based on the GS and predates the Sonata) there is:

I think it is completely absurd to claim Lexus copied Hyundai on this one. Aside from Toyota already having done a lot of this in the past, it makes zero sense for Lexus to copy a lesser brand like Hyundai. If they were doing any copying, they were looking to BMW with the inner part of the tail light:

This is far far more likely. Also I think Aerodynamics is also playing a part in all these cars beginning to resemble eachother:

Old 06-05-12, 08:50 PM
LexFather

^^^ exactly....the LED tubes are ala BMW....you did a great job showing the tailights of the Mark X which the Sonata shares...

One thing about the 2GS, those quad lamp rears could not be confused with anything else. Maybe the GS should have Altezzas so people would say "OMG IT HAS LEXUS ALTEZZAS, LEXUS COPIED LEXUS"

Old 06-05-12, 08:56 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

"One thing about the 2GS, those quad lamp rears could not be confused with anything else"

I only wished the rear looked little similar or was a evolution from 2gs...
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
^^^ exactly....the LED tubes are ala BMW....you did a great job showing the tailights of the Mark X which the Sonata shares...

One thing about the 2GS, those quad lamp rears could not be confused with anything else. Maybe the GS should have Altezzas so people would say "OMG IT HAS LEXUS ALTEZZAS, LEXUS COPIED LEXUS"

Old 06-05-12, 10:48 PM
MikeSC4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm extremely disappointed in the 4GS design. Should have kept the quad lights IMO. Just a victim of generic Japanese design.

Old 06-05-12, 11:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Guys please leave off the personal commentary and stick to the thread topic.
Ignored moderator request, sorry Mike have to ask you to please exit this thread

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-06-12 at 07:05 AM.

Old 06-05-12, 11:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

it's pretty interesting on a thread about whether two look similar to each other, it somehow got into a debate of whether someone copied another. i think it's pretty clear that no one wants to copy another (well except those chinese car makers). i don't think lexus copied the sonata rear on the 4gs. i also think it's silly to say the 6 series copy the rx interior. fact is all these cars were pretty much "done" on most of the designs well before debut, it's not like "hey this car looks good, let's copy it for our debut next month"

with that said, the bottom line to me is whether they look similar or not, and i have stated my answer months ago so i am not going to repeat myself. one can work very hard and try to make something original, but if it ends up looking similar to something else? that's the thing people remember most. mb said they wanted to create a great performance car from scratch, the end result sls somehow looks very similar to old gullwing.

i will just say that i don't mind if lexus goes all aggressive on the front end, but i would expect (hope) they carry the same language throughout the whole car, and not stop after the front turn signals. but regardless, the 4gs drives way better than sonata that's for sure
Old 06-06-12, 02:33 AM
Bombsquad
Driver

I'm a diehard lexus fan, on top of my 5 Lexus vehicles purchased in the last 4 years I have introduced, my cousin, my dad, my neighbour, my best friends little brother, my brother in law, my co-workers best friend to the Lexus family.. I should be on commission! But i'm incredibly disappointed by the 4GS, I saw an audi A5 today filling up gas , that makes you want it! The 4GS not so much, plus this design is supposed to last 7years or so?? They sell the GS250 here in australia, less power and worse fuel economy than the 2GS...
One last thing, what is up with the wheel gap and offset on these cars? Bmw, mercedes and audi don't have this issue? Why do new lexus vehicles all look like trains with their skinny tracks?
Old 06-06-12, 02:34 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Only mistake Lexus did is not leaving those diagonal lines at the back. They really give the character to the back end design.
Old 06-06-12, 03:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
it's pretty interesting on a thread about whether two look similar to each other, it somehow got into a debate of whether someone copied another. i think it's pretty clear that no one wants to copy another (well except those chinese car makers). i don't think lexus copied the sonata rear on the 4gs. i also think it's silly to say the 6 series copy the rx interior. fact is all these cars were pretty much "done" on most of the designs well before debut, it's not like "hey this car looks good, let's copy it for our debut next month"

with that said, the bottom line to me is whether they look similar or not, and i have stated my answer months ago so i am not going to repeat myself. one can work very hard and try to make something original, but if it ends up looking similar to something else? that's the thing people remember most. mb said they wanted to create a great performance car from scratch, the end result sls somehow looks very similar to old gullwing.

i will just say that i don't mind if lexus goes all aggressive on the front end, but i would expect (hope) they carry the same language throughout the whole car, and not stop after the front turn signals. but regardless, the 4gs drives way better than sonata that's for sure
i think it is pretty clear from many of their designs that Hyundai and Kia copy other cars... So we have Hyundai having Lexus clues meaning that in turn Lexus should completely overhaul their design now.
Old 06-06-12, 04:43 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what I told the cops when they caught me selling my "refined" louis vutton bags, they didn't buy that BS tho as the hand cuffs gets tighter and the pressure of the knee deeper into my back with my face against the ground trying to scream into the mud.
Old 06-06-12, 07:02 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Only mistake Lexus did is not leaving those diagonal lines at the back. They really give the character to the back end design.
The concept's rear is absolutely intoxicating.

Quick Reply: Too close for comfort? 4th Gen GS & Hyundai Sonata