Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New pics show 2013 Nissan Altima from all the angles

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-12, 04:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
Interesting write up of an actual drive of the Altima followed by Sonata and Camry. Of course it's this guy's opinion but that's all any review ever is.
http://carfanaticsforum.com/thread-15998.html
enjoyed that, thanks for sharing.

and the new interior looks good

Old 05-21-12, 09:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Interesting write up of an actual drive of the Altima followed by Sonata and Camry. Of course it's this guy's opinion but that's all any review ever is.

Although the 2013 Nissan Altima is not yet in showrooms – production only commenced this week – I had the opportunity to drive a 2013 Altima 3.5 SL today. And for a bonus, Nissan was kind enough to provide a 2013 Toyota Camry XLE V6 and a 2012 Hyundai Sonata 2.0 Turbo Limited for comparison.

Interesting Nissan didnt chose to test vs Camry SE... p.s. that was from Nissan sales training events? Nissan sales guy dissing on other brands? wowzers.
Old 05-22-12, 07:05 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Interesting Nissan didnt chose to test vs Camry SE... p.s. that was from Nissan sales training events? Nissan sales guy dissing on other brands? wowzers.
Actually no. It was a Nissan sponsored event but the tester was an independent source (one of the moderators and testers at CarFanatics) and I didn't see where the Nissan reps said anything against the other cars to sway the testers.

Maybe they didn't choose the Camry SE since they were testing the top of the line models from each brand. I actually doubt it would have made much difference.

Last edited by speedflex; 05-22-12 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-22-12, 07:25 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of the "opinions" in that review are really hard to take seriously as they contradict a lot of other credible information and personal experience.

With that said, to me, the Altima seems like a wholly better car than the Camry. Toyota went 70% with the new Camry and Nissan went 110%.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 05-22-12 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-22-12, 07:36 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not bad. I would drive it.
Old 05-22-12, 07:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
With that said, to me, the Altima seems like a wholly better car than the Camry. Toyota went 70% with the new Camry and Nissan went 110%.
post of the week

i don't expect toyota to make the camry 'wild' or anything, but it's just so BORING with design 'bits' supposed to make it 'sporty' but they just don't work. lipstick on a pig.
Old 05-22-12, 07:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Actually no. It was a Nissan sponsored event but the tester was an independent source (one of the moderators and testers at CarFanatics) and I didn't see where the Nissan reps said anything against the other cars to sway the testers.

Maybe they didn't choose the Camry SE since they were testing the top of the line models from each brand. I actually doubt it would have made much difference.
the way he wrote was childish, so i dont see why would anyone call him up for pre-production testing that is usually done for sales training. He is not any kind of reviewer thats for sure, and to go to those events you are either reviewer or sales personel.

70% of what he wrote was not liking the color combination, which is where SE looks much nicer with dark interior and suede seats.
Old 05-22-12, 07:59 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
post of the week

i don't expect toyota to make the camry 'wild' or anything, but it's just so BORING with design 'bits' supposed to make it 'sporty' but they just don't work. lipstick on a pig.
The design looks like an ugly refresh of the old one - the 6th gen was better looking. I remember talking to a few Toyota folks before the car was shown to the public, and they mentioned that they could barely tell the differences between 6th and 7th gens. There are times, especially in traffic where the car is moving, that I cannot tell the difference at first glance either. Apparently, dealers were unhappy with the design and sent Toyota back to the drawing board at one point. How they came up with the production car, I don't know.

The engines are carryovers from the previous generation which is rather disappointing. Toyota needed to update the 4cyl and V6 for power and fuel economy - not because they aren't competitive, but because Toyota is supposed to be the leader of this segment. It seems like they put all of their R&D money into the hybrid, which was a bad decision IMO.

The interior is better than the old car in terms of quality, but I don't think it's particularly nice overall. There are still some bits that feel cheap to the touch and some of the finishes and surfaces leave me scratching my head. The 2-3 tone seats...who approved that?

So, you add all that up and stack it against the new Altima, where Nissan did all of their homework and produced an outstanding car, and there is just little comparison. I do think the Camry is a better car than the Sonata though - the interior and driving characteristics of that car are pretty bad.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 05-22-12 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-22-12, 08:07 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
the way he wrote was childish, so i dont see why would anyone call him up for pre-production testing that is usually done for sales training. He is not any kind of reviewer thats for sure, and to go to those events you are either reviewer or sales personel.

70% of what he wrote was not liking the color combination, which is where SE looks much nicer with dark interior and suede seats.
I actually thought it was a balanced and fair article. And I do agree with him on the Camry interior color combinations. Toyota was aiming for something less monochromatic but the execution is a bit off. Toyota is usually good at the details and this time their competitors are just waxing the details better than they did. He was justifiably hard on the Camry and I can see why he would be. It just seems like Toyota didn't go far enough with the Camry while competitors are going all out with their offerings. There's a sense of laziness to the Camry... that said, people will still buy them in droves. But I don't believe for a minute that it's the best car in the segment.

Everyone else, Nissan, Ford, and probably Honda, has come out swinging for the fences. Toyota, on the other hand, seems happy to have bunted their way on base.
Old 05-22-12, 08:36 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by doublehh03
Hopefully, so HONDA tries harder next time.
fixed for accuracy. I hope you are praying hard the new Accord isn't a hot mess like every new release outside the CR-V. its already getting ousold by cars not the Camry some months. At least the Camry still sells #1

My quick 2 cents
1. Altima has been poor mans GS for sometime taking cues from Lexus for awhile so front spindle is not surprising
2. Car from the sides looks like an Infiniti with the wavy crease but works out much better here.
3. Nissan seems to have went into overdrive to make this new Altima and it is VERY impressive to me.
4. Camry outside of the hybrid is sorry, just not as impressive, no getting around it.
5. Both cars are going to sell like hotcakes. Don't expect Camry buyers to jump ship to this or anything else.
6. Article was terrible
7. Interior doesn't remind me or resemble infiniti like some other NIssan products. Good move to me.

I hate to say it but with every new release from the competition the Camry seems so slab-sided and utterly dull that I am quite astounded at how well it sells. The SE does pick up things.

This new Altima on paper is my favorite in class now. On paper, I honestly think its utterly superb.

Old 05-22-12, 08:41 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
fixed for accuracy. I hope you are praying hard the new Accord isn't a hot mess like every new release outside the CR-V. its already getting ousold by cars not the Camry some months. At least the Camry still sells #1

My quick 2 cents
1. Altima has been poor mans GS for sometime taking cues from Lexus for awhile so front spindle is not surprising
2. Car from the sides looks like an Infiniti with the wavy crease but works out much better here.
3. Nissan seems to have went into overdrive to make this new Altima and it is VERY impressive to me.
4. Camry outside of the hybrid is sorry, just not as impressive, no getting around it.
5. Both cars are going to sell like hotcakes. Don't expect Camry buyers to jump ship to this or anything else.
6. Article was terrible
7. Interior doesn't remind me or resemble infiniti like some other NIssan products. Good move to me.

I hate to say it but with every new release from the competition the Camry seems so slab-sided and utterly dull that I am quite astounded at how well it sells. The SE does pick up things.

This new Altima on paper is my favorite in class now. On paper, I honestly think its utterly superb.

Good points. Doesn't it seem out of character for Toyota to let so many competitors one-up them with this generation. I see so many points where it seems Toyota went loose on the details which is an area where Toyota usually get's almost everything right.
Old 05-22-12, 08:50 AM
LexFather

Good points. Doesn't it seem out of character for Toyota to let so many competitors one-up them with this generation. I see so many points where it seems Toyota went loose on the details which is an area where Toyota usually get's almost everything right.
Honestly and I can't believe I am saying this but it seems the Camry/Civic are selling on past laurels and name and to loyal buyers. At least in the Camry's case its not a bad car, it is as well built as anything in class, surely super reliable, drives better, tons of space etc. However it seems that is no longer enough when the competition continues to seemingly improve by leaps and bounds. Was the Camry that much better in the past?

I don't mind defending the Camry against dumbass arguments but in this case on paper, side by side, its hard for me to say "get that new Camry" unless its the hybrid. I find the Altima much more appealing and IMO Nissan has once again nailed the styling, something for the last 2 generations has been a great selling point for them. My wife (g/f at the time) had the last gen Altima and I could see the potential next gen. It was rough around the edges still but much improved over the previous gen.

Again the way all of these family cars are improving I don't see any point in the Verano, ILX. This Altima demolishes both.

Old 05-22-12, 08:53 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

This new altima looks great, inside and out

can't wait to see what nissan has for the maxima.
Old 05-22-12, 08:55 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
This new altima looks great, inside and out

can't wait to see what nissan has for the maxima.
I love the current Maxima.

To me its utterly hilarious to see everyone sucking Hyundai/Kia's **** and completely overlooking how far Nissan (and even Mazda) have come the last decade. Nissan has a very good lineup right now and continues to improve.

Looking at sales, Nissan has quietly crept up on Honda. Even in Japan for the first time I think Nissan was outselling Honda.

Old 05-22-12, 09:08 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Honestly looks like a Nissan Maxima with a higher quality interior, I can see this thing selling probably #2, still doesn't WOW me though, would prefer over the Hyundai/Kia line though. Let's see what Honda has to offer as well with the new Accord coming.

Quick Reply: New pics show 2013 Nissan Altima from all the angles