Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car Wars report predicts Hyundai, Kia will lose market share

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-12, 04:16 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Car Wars report predicts Hyundai, Kia will lose market share

Car Wars report predicts Hyundai, Kia will lose market share

The annual "Car Wars" report by Merrill Lynch analyst John Murphy predicts that, despite their seizing of U.S. market share over the last few tumultuous years, Korean brands Hyundai and Kia will give it all back and then some to companies like Ford, General Motors and Toyota by 2016.

Murphy bases his predictions not on tea leaves or crystal *****, but rather the rate at which automakers launch new products. Ford will replace 26 percent of its product line over the next four years, a number that represents 46 percent of its volume, while General Motors will replace 25 percent and Toyota 24 percent. On account of these new product launches, Murphy says Ford can expect to add 0.8 percentage points of market share, General Motors will recover 0.5 points and Toyota will add another 0.3 points.

Other automakers that won't be so aggressive in turning over their lineups with new models include Chrysler, Honda, Nissan and the European brands, which Murphy surmises will all remain flat in terms of market share.

Hyundai and Kia, meanwhile, will be introducing fewer new models than the rest and therefore, Murphy predicts, will see a 0.5 decline in U.S. market share.

Of course, these are all just predictions and can be blown to bits with the next unforeseen economic crisis or natural disaster, just like the last three years were. And there are other factors that might affect market share for each automaker during the next three years, including the availability of raw materials, exchange rates, union contracts, recalls and a million another minor things that might grow to become big things, not the least of which is consumers deciding they actually like all those new products being launched.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/18/c...-market-share/
Old 05-18-12, 04:50 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty much a crapshoot as far as I'm concerned. Market analysts and forecasters get on my nerves.
Old 05-19-12, 05:14 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.5%? OMG, that's huge!!!
Old 05-19-12, 08:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

It's not any real problem with Hyundai and Kia (although IMO the styling of some new Hyundai products s**ks), but simply the fact that American-badged carmakers finally seem to be getting their act together and producing better vehicles now. Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep, in particular, has made astounding improvements in the last couple of years....as has some GM products.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-19-12 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-19-12, 09:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

^^ yup - i wouldn't be surprised if they do lose some share.
Old 05-19-12, 05:15 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's not any real problem with Hyundai and Kia (although IMO the styling of some new Hyundai products s**ks), but simply the fact that American-badged carmakers finally seem to be getting their act together and producing better vehicles now. Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep, in particular, has made astounding improvements inthe last couple of years....as has some GM products.
yup. In doing so you close the distance in say quality, so no matter what make you buy from your almost guaranteed a similar reliability. Now of course there are some exceptions such as certain cars being more or less prone to things. (for example BMW high pressure fuel pumps). But suffice to say, the balance in reliability is pretty close these days. More so now because automakers know that do succeed by today's standards they can't produce crap
Old 05-19-12, 09:51 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone will lose shares. Many companies gained a lot from the Japanese disaster. I find it hilarious that these analysts and other market watchers do not discuss the fact that Toyota and Honda gave up market share not because there was no demand, but that supply was low. Those that benefited from Toyota not being able to supply enough cars well be giving back some numbers this year, and not just Hyundai. You think with Lexus back in full production that BMW well be able to hang on to number one? I seriously doubt it.
Old 05-19-12, 10:48 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by T0ked
Everyone will lose shares. Many companies gained a lot from the Japanese disaster. I find it hilarious that these analysts and other market watchers do not discuss the fact that Toyota and Honda gave up market share not because there was no demand, but that supply was low. Those that benefited from Toyota not being able to supply enough cars well be giving back some numbers this year, and not just Hyundai. You think with Lexus back in full production that BMW well be able to hang on to number one? I seriously doubt it.
well at least not until the 13' ES hits lots. That thing is gonna fly
Old 05-20-12, 12:29 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
well at least not until the 13' ES hits lots. That thing is gonna fly
Yep the new GS is already selling pretty well...the next gen ES & RX will fly
Old 05-20-12, 03:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
Pretty much a crapshoot as far as I'm concerned. Market analysts and forecasters get on my nerves.
me too. Im not holding my breath. These guys are on a roll and I dont see it stopping any time soon
Old 05-20-12, 09:49 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lexus has an update to their entire bread and butter line up. Brand new ES (which looks absolutely gorgeous) and a face lifted RX which IMO looks so much better it might as well be new. With a new GS which looks great on the road (just saw three in one day in Westchester, NY where I live), There is no way Lexus won't be taking back the sales crown this year and next.

However, I don't think hyundai will give back shares easily. There were those studies showing hyundai with a very high brand loyalty and retention rate. Can't have both.