Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What if Lexus made a sub RX LUV based off of RAV4?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-12, 01:00 PM
LTownsend
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congratulations. A CT200H won't have quite the versatility, interior room, or bad-weather traction of an AWD X1, but it has a heck of a lot better paint-job than lower-line BMWs, is better-built, likely to be more reliable, and, of course, will stretch out your gas-dollars a lot more.
As a long time Lexus owner, I would expect nothing less!
Old 02-20-13, 10:22 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Another rendering....

Old 02-20-13, 10:28 AM
LexFather

Seems more for style than utility....will sell like hotcakes, I just am unsure of the cannibalization to the RX.

Old 02-20-13, 10:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

With the introduction of the new Buick Encore, this thread may have more relevance now. A small, sub-RX Lexus SUV, if done properly, would be good competition for the Encore.
It also gives Lexus the opportunity, IMO, to avoid some of the mistakes that were done with the Encore. First, of course, is the Encore's too-small (IMO) 1.4L turbo. 138 HP and 148 ft-lbs. of torque is just not enough for a 3200-lb. vehicle with added weight in pasengers and cargo. Even the Verano uses a 180 HP four. Second, the Encore is too short for its height......it looks like it went halfway through a crusher. Third, the Encore lacks power-adjustment for seatback-rake and, unlike the sister Verano, uses a manual hand-brake lever instead of a electronic-brake. The Encore, like all current Buicks, does have a rich interior and Quiet-Tuning (adding Active Noise-Control for the engine), but its first-year production goofs may give Lexus the opportunity it needs to one-up it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-20-13 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-20-13, 10:53 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

With the introduction of the new Buick Encore, this thread may have more relevance now. A small, sub-RX Lexus SUV, if done properly, would be good competition for the Encore.
It also gives Lexus the opportunity, IMO, to avoid some of the mistakes that were done with the Encore. First, of course, is the Encore's too-small (IMO) 1.4L turbo. 138 HP and 148 ft-lbs. of torque is just not enough for a 3200-lb. vehicle with added weight in pasengers and cargo. Even the Verano uses a 180 HP four. Second, the Encore is too short for its height......it looks like it went halfway through a crusher. Third, the Encore lacks power-adjustment for seatback-rake and, unlike the sister Verano, uses a manual hand-brake lever instead of a electronic-brake. The Encore, like all current Buicks, does have a rich interior and Quiet-Tuning (adding Active Noise-Control for the engine), but its first-year production goofs may give Lexus the opportunity it needs to one-up it.

Encore would be WAY too small at 168 inches long. And Lexus doesn't care to compete with a Buick Encore.

I expect it would be closer to RAV at 180 inches long, but much more dynamic in style than either the RAV or RX. This would allow RX to grow slightly with the next gen and potentially offer at 3rd row.
Old 02-20-13, 10:54 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

the NX will be bigger than the Encore
Old 02-20-13, 10:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Encore would be WAY too small at 168 inches long.
Well, that was just my point. Lexus will have a chance not to repeat that too-short error.

And Lexus doesn't care to compete with a Buick Encore.
If there's money to be made by doing so, they will indeed care. Money talks (sometimes, of course, too much).
Old 02-20-13, 11:05 AM
Hoovey689

The Encore is just too much of a tiny "cute-ute". The NX will be aimed at the X1, Q3 - Rav4 in size
Old 02-20-13, 11:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The Encore is just too much of a tiny "cute-ute". The NX will be aimed at the X1, Q3 - Rav4 in size
Some RAV-4's now, of course, are long enough for third-row seats. That's something that the RX, to my memory, has never had.....though I could be wrong on that.
Old 02-20-13, 11:19 AM
LexFather

The Encore is not a luxury vehicle, its way to small and way to cheap with a gutless engine for a SUV. Heck the CT hybrid makes 138hp.

Internally they are aiming for the RR Evoque and other stylish SUVs that elevate a brand's position, even if its an entry level model.

Old 02-20-13, 11:31 AM
Hoovey689

Some RAV-4's now, of course, are long enough for third-row seats. That's something that the RX, to my memory, has never had.....though I could be wrong on that.
I could be wrong, but I don't think the current Rav4 offers a 3rd row anymore. The NX is supposedly based on it.

The RX has never offered a 3rd row despite being derived from the 7 passenger Highlander.
Old 02-20-13, 11:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I could be wrong, but I don't think the current Rav4 offers a 3rd row anymore.

The last one did (see above), but you're right. I don't see it as an option on the new one.....probably because the V6 option was also deleted. Six or seven people might be just too much for the four.

BTW, slightly off-topic, but the new RAV-4 offers factory body-side mouldings as an option (more than $200). While I feel that (and you know this from my reviews) they should be standard, it proves what I said earlier.....that eliminating them was NOT a styling-issue, as some have claimed, but simple cost-cutting.
Old 02-20-13, 02:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Seems more for style than utility....will sell like hotcakes, I just am unsure of the cannibalization to the RX.
reminds me of the ipad mini...
Old 02-20-13, 03:27 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The last one did (see above), but you're right. I don't see it as an option on the new one.....probably because the V6 option was also deleted. Six or seven people might be just too much for the four.
It was dropped because they re-aligned the RAV4 with the peer group. Focusing on smaller size, lower pricing and better fuel economy.

3rd row in the RAV was worthless, and if you want a 3rd row, Toyota wants you to step up to the Highlander.
Old 02-20-13, 08:24 PM
bagyo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know Lexus is just trying to keep up with the massive array of mix matched offerings and sizes of cars from the other premium makes, but damn.......To me the RX is small enough as it is! How small do you want your car/suv to be?! Sheesh, wouldn't having such a small SUV be a nuisance instead of utilitarian ? I've been in compact cars before ie miatas and mr2s, but those cars are purpose built for track use or as Sunday cars to zip around in. A smaller SUV wouldn't even be a Sport Utility Vehicle anymore, SNRAL Sport No Room At All Vehicle. LoL

Quick Reply: What if Lexus made a sub RX LUV based off of RAV4?