Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

what is the appeal of a gray interior?

Old 05-12-12, 08:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Hey,Hey! The "ash"(lt. gray) interior in my LS430 is not all that bad. Although it was not the preferred color combo(wanted tan or ecru) i was looking for when i was searching for my car, it turned out pretty well. Matches nicely with the Mercury Metallic paint.
i like my light gray almost white interior in IS220d.

Do I like it better than black? Not sure.... but in luxury car it looks good. In cheap car, it makes things only worse.
Old 05-12-12, 09:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

i like gray leather. my gs400 had it.
my miata had saddle brown which was nice.
my explorer has light cream color which is ok too.
i have zero interest in black seating - shows every spec of everything, shows wear badly too, and gets hottest. pass.
and red just says 'look at me' - um, no.
Old 05-12-12, 09:02 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Black>gray>fugly tan
Old 05-12-12, 09:14 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a HUGE fan of red leather... it just pops my friend has 6 series and Im very impressed with the red leather!
Attached Thumbnails what is the appeal of a gray interior?-redleather.jpg  
Old 05-12-12, 09:28 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always opt for black, some call it charcoal, gray needs to be seen in person, the gray has variation, some lighter, some darker, tan is horrible as a solid color, the floor needs to be darker.

Manufactures really need to embrace two tones, and more colors, like BMW, Audi
Old 05-12-12, 09:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i like nothing about gray, so i am not thrilled with the gray in the gx

also very disappointed with it in the lx570. thank got recently they changed all to black, way better
Old 05-12-12, 10:18 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 153 Likes on 91 Posts

I too think the gray looks dull, and is more suited for the masses and rental car companies. Black has always been sporty, and tan fulfills it's own role. What got me okay with tan is Ferrari's ubiquitous offering of red exterior with beige interior. It's the perfect sports car look in my opinion. My favorite however would be a saddle, which is a rare offering in most cars and splits the difference nicely.
Having said all that, the lighter color interiors show all the dirt over time, which is enough to make me stick with black on my sedans. (Lexus never offered saddle for my IS.) And shame on Toyota for not offering black for non-SE Camry's. At least Honda does so with basic Accords and Civics.
Old 05-12-12, 10:22 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What is the appeal of a gray interior?
To me grey means depressive and ultimately causing suicide sooner or later...
Old 05-13-12, 04:13 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I shop for a car, black exterior or gray interior is automatic deal breaker.
I used to love black exterior color, now I hate it since it's impossible to keep clean. I had couple Lexus with gray interior before, and it's just dull and makes the car seem cheaper class.

Just personal referrence.
Old 05-13-12, 05:50 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why do you like the fact that they are not available any more? IMO, it smacks of cost-cutting...just like a lot of the other decontenting in today's cars (manual hood prop-rods, no spare tires, no body-side mouldings, etc...). It was nice, years ago, to have a choice of something else besides beige/ivory, gray, and black, like you have today. The cars I learned to drive on, for example, usually came with five or six different interior colors (including blue/green/red, and sometimes two-tone) and usually at least a dozen exterior colors (sometimes two dozen).
Oh don't get me wrong, I do like when manufacturers do offer an assortment of interior options. I personally owned 3 vehicles with burgundy interiors and it just seemed soo old school. (all three were white exterior/burgundy interior.
Old 05-13-12, 07:24 AM
dknn
Rookie

I recently purchased a Highlander with the gray interior and regret it now. It shows dirt more than black. I want a red interior.
Old 05-13-12, 07:25 AM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

I have to stick up for myself here.
Currently own at 2004 LS Mercury Metallic with the Ash Leather & I couldnt be happier with the choice. Im 25 too and most propbably would think at my age, get something a lil more sporty
(Black interior) and while all the other choices are nice in their own way, I feel that the Ash leather in my car has never looked dirty, stays clean verses the GS that has Ivory and you could see the crackes and dye in jeans and black you can see everything from the salt off your french fries.

When driving with all the windows down when its sunny, thr Ash just seem very cool like refreshing to me, it doesnt shine a glare back in my eyes & well just feels nice and calming.
Old 05-13-12, 08:13 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

When I owned a 2003 Lexus ES it was silver with a gray interior. I liked it a lot. Now I have a Smokey Granite Mica IS350 with a tan interior and I have no regrets!
Old 05-13-12, 09:14 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Just about every car I ever owned had a black/charcoal interior including my previous ES so I decided a change was in order. I didn't favor the tan since I found it to appear more golden than I care for in the recent years; but that is just my opinion. To me the light gray is soothing. Not suicidal soothing as mentioned above but very calming. I do not think my RX interior screams "rental" in anyway either. Is it a PITA to keep clean? Meh. I'm OCD so to me it's a normal routine but if you want to have more free time away from vacuuming and shampooing then the lighter interiors definitely are not the best option.

And if I want to get my freak on I just hop into the Miata...

Old 05-13-12, 09:19 AM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
Just about every car I ever owned had a black/charcoal interior including my previous ES so I decided a change was in order. I didn't favor the tan since I found it to appear more golden than I care for in the recent years; but that is just my opinion. To me the light gray is soothing. Not suicidal soothing as mentioned above but very calming. I do not think my RX interior screams "rental" in anyway either. Is it a PITA to keep clean? Meh. I'm OCD so to me it's a normal routine but if you want to have more free time away from vacuuming and shampooing then the lighter interiors definitely are not the best option.

And if I want to get my freak on I just hop into the Miata...

Exactly what I said in my post, calming & soothing. :-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what is the appeal of a gray interior?