Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hooray.....Lexus Dealerships FINALLY Start Listing New-Vehicle Inventory.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-12, 10:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Thumbs up Hooray.....Lexus Dealerships FINALLY Start Listing New-Vehicle Inventory

Well, it took a lot of complaining by me and others (both on and off CL), but it looks like Lexus dealerships, after years of only listing their used-vehicles on their web-sites, have finally started to post their new vehicles in stock as well, at least here in the D.C. area. Lexus (apparantly) based that policy on the their idea of "Personal Service" ...the notion that they wanted Lexus reps to do the work (and searching) for you. Fine, but, in my case, it could be a PITA if I was looking for a certain type of new Lexus in the D.C. area for someone. Or if just wanted to see what each dealership had in stock for reviews, without having to bother with sales-reps, formal commitments or making appointments, schedules, etc.....(often I didn't have time for that). Now one can easily see, with a couple of clicks of the mouse, instantly what's available and what isn't....without tying up the reps. This is the way, IMO, that it should have been years ago....just as it's been all along for Lexus used-vehicles and CPO's.

Even new-car-search organizations like http://www.everycarlisted.com (which I often use), had trouble searching for brand-new Lexus products........there just seemed to be a block on them. Now it's a lot easier to search on them, too.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-01-12 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-01-12, 10:44 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I used Autotrader.com and cars.com to find my new '12 ES tungsten/black Ultra Luxury pkg out of state and a 5 hour drive.
Those two sites are very good.
Never knew about everycarlisted.com.Good to know.
Old 05-01-12, 03:54 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They should, I was calling both dealerships here in Vegas and had to wait for their call back on the 13 GS350. While BMW list almost all their inventory online so you can scan through to see if they have the combo you want available.
Old 05-01-12, 05:03 PM
AvsFan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like they are using some sort of shared inventory data base. Lindsay Lexus of Alexandria and Lexus of Silver Spring are showing the exact same new inventory for the ES-350.
Old 05-01-12, 06:31 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I used Autotrader.com and cars.com
yep me too for my IS350.

about time Lexus did this.
Old 05-02-12, 12:30 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, it took a lot of complaining by me and others (both on and off CL), but it looks like Lexus dealerships, after years of only listing their used-vehicles on their web-sites, have finally started to post their new vehicles in stock as well, at least here in the D.C. area. Lexus (apparantly) based that policy on the their idea of "Personal Service" ...the notion that they wanted Lexus reps to do the work (and searching) for you. Fine, but, in my case, it could be a PITA if I was looking for a certain type of new Lexus in the D.C. area for someone. Or if just wanted to see what each dealership had in stock for reviews, without having to bother with sales-reps, formal commitments or making appointments, schedules, etc.....(often I didn't have time for that). Now one can easily see, with a couple of clicks of the mouse, instantly what's available and what isn't....without tying up the reps. This is the way, IMO, that it should have been years ago....just as it's been all along for Lexus used-vehicles and CPO's.

Even new-car-search organizations like http://www.everycarlisted.com (which I often use), had trouble searching for brand-new Lexus products........there just seemed to be a block on them. Now it's a lot easier to search on them, too.
Still the same old web site here. They only recently put all their preowned inventory on line.
Old 05-02-12, 02:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I thought they were already doing that. I see them shown on the web sites locally and they are new as well as used
Old 05-02-12, 04:32 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ECL
Still the same old web site here. They only recently put all their preowned inventory on line.
Ditto.

Was about to say "great!" but wanted to check my local dealer inventory and sadly... nothing.

One day they will learn.
Old 05-03-12, 02:35 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Not so fast people. One has to wonder why dealers avoided doing this for so long, as their inventory was already logged into a computer system. There are reasons for this delay, and my main guess is they were afraid if they didn't have the exact model you were looking for, you would not bother coming in. At least with the old way when someone was searching and couldn't find a model, it forced them to phone the dealer or make an in person appearance. And we all know how much a dealer wants you to come by so they can work their hook.

I have a feeling dealerships are cringing at having to list inventory online, as it could keep potential buyers away by not having the right model in stock. It also gives competing dealers the opportunity to adjust their inventory/orders to out-do or match other locations. Retailers do not like airing their laundry for others to copy.

Also beware, these inventory lists are often outdated and inaccurate. A dealer will likely show cars he had in stock weeks ago, but have since sold. I don't know of any legal agency that regulates inventory accuracy and you can bet a dealer will play tricks online just as they do in person.
Old 05-03-12, 05:36 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Not so fast people. One has to wonder why dealers avoided doing this for so long, as their inventory was already logged into a computer system. There are reasons for this delay, and my main guess is they were afraid if they didn't have the exact model you were looking for, you would not bother coming in. At least with the old way when someone was searching and couldn't find a model, it forced them to phone the dealer or make an in person appearance. And we all know how much a dealer wants you to come by so they can work their hook.

I have a feeling dealerships are cringing at having to list inventory online, as it could keep potential buyers away by not having the right model in stock. It also gives competing dealers the opportunity to adjust their inventory/orders to out-do or match other locations. Retailers do not like airing their laundry for others to copy.

Also beware, these inventory lists are often outdated and inaccurate. A dealer will likely show cars he had in stock weeks ago, but have since sold. I don't know of any legal agency that regulates inventory accuracy and you can bet a dealer will play tricks online just as they do in person.
Well said. There are reasons known only to the dealer(s) as to why new car inventories were not shown.
Old 05-03-12, 05:47 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Doesn't it cut both ways? You can look at another dealer's inventory, and tell your dealer "I know dealer X has the model I'm looking for, but I want to buy from you--can you do a swap?"
Old 05-03-12, 06:08 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Lexus dealers should show inventory just like Audi,BMW,Benz etc does.
I was looking for a ES w/UL pkg.I called many dealers and they didn't have any.Wasted my time and then try to sell you something else with a big discount yadayadayada.
Cars.com and autotrader.com does well,though.
Old 05-03-12, 07:09 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

When I bought my GS in March, a number of "in-stock" units at dealers were actually somewhere in-transit. Proceed with caution.
Old 05-03-12, 09:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Well said. There are reasons known only to the dealer(s) as to why new car inventories were not shown.

With Lexus, for years, it actually went beyond that. Unlike most automakers, it was official company policy. Lexus felt, right or wong, that it was the sales-rep's (or customer-service rep's) job to do the new-vehicle searching for you. They also blocked independent new-car-search websites from most of the Lexus new-vehicle data.
Old 05-05-12, 10:27 AM
zmisst
Rookie

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, it took a lot of complaining by me and others (both on and off CL), but it looks like Lexus dealerships, after years of only listing their used-vehicles on their web-sites, have finally started to post their new vehicles in stock
Glad to see that complaints about Lexus US corporate practices, on CL and otherwise, led Lexus to change just one of their many moronic sales practices. Imagine that: complaining on CL about Lexus and getting them to change. I'm glad the moderators of this forum support people expressing their experience and opinion about Lexus, even when it is negative, and suggesting that Lexus change their business practices. I'm glad the forum isn't run by a much of immature Lexus fanboys who can't take anyone criticizing Lexus or their business decisions.

Lexus manufacturing and technology from Japan is amazingly good. Lexus business decisions and marketing and sales practices from their US headquarters is amazingly stupid. Glad to see complaints about it on here led to positive change for Lexus and its current and potential customers.

Quick Reply: Hooray.....Lexus Dealerships FINALLY Start Listing New-Vehicle Inventory.