Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hooray.....Lexus Dealerships FINALLY Start Listing New-Vehicle Inventory.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-12, 07:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by zmisst
Glad to see that complaints about Lexus US corporate practices, on CL and otherwise, led Lexus to change just one of their many moronic sales practices. Imagine that: complaining on CL about Lexus and getting them to change.

I didn't just complain about that on CL but directly to dealerships, Lexus Customer-reps, E-Mail chat, Lexus auto-show reps, and as far as I could get up the Lexus chain-of-command (though, of course, you can't always get to the very top levels).

Of course, sometimes there are reasons why corporate-managers sometimes resist complaints from customers or outside the company. Case in point was when the IS300 came out in 2001 (I myself bought one of the first 2001 U.S.-models). The auto press and enthusiasts felt it should have a manual-transmission option (I myself didn't necessarily share that view). Anyhow, a big stink was made about it in the auto mags, so Lexus put a 5MT version into production for 2002, along with the hatchback SportCross version. Neither model sold well at all, and the company was forced to pull them both from the market in less than two years.
Old 05-05-12, 09:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Not so fast people. One has to wonder why dealers avoided doing this for so long, as their inventory was already logged into a computer system. There are reasons for this delay, and my main guess is they were afraid if they didn't have the exact model you were looking for, you would not bother coming in. At least with the old way when someone was searching and couldn't find a model, it forced them to phone the dealer or make an in person appearance. And we all know how much a dealer wants you to come by so they can work their hook.

I have a feeling dealerships are cringing at having to list inventory online, as it could keep potential buyers away by not having the right model in stock. It also gives competing dealers the opportunity to adjust their inventory/orders to out-do or match other locations. Retailers do not like airing their laundry for others to copy.

Also beware, these inventory lists are often outdated and inaccurate..
Japanese cars companies for the longest time have tried to push the vehicle that is on the showroom floor. This has changed since Toyota became as big as they have become.

My guess is that for Lexus, not letting people see the inventory would help keep models scarce and thus prices higher.
Old 05-06-12, 12:45 AM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of SF Bay Area dealers have been showing new inventory for a long time. I just did a quick survey and only 2 of 8 (Stevens Creek and Lexus of Pleasanton) are showing new car inventory. If anything, this is a step backwards as I thought Magnussen's used to also show new inventory. I'm not sure how up to date or accurate they are but I have noticed Stevens Creek listings changing daily.