Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Leaning towards one of the following so far...Help I like em all!
04 or newer Acura TL
23.81%
04 or newer Acura TSX
38.10%
05 or newer Acura RL AWD
19.05%
06 or newer Mazda 6 Grand Touring
0%
03 or newer Audi A6 Quattro
19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Looking for a different car

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-12, 08:37 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For 12k I would go for a TSX or a Mazda 3 grand touring, that has leather and heated seats, xeon lights, etc..

One other oddball option is to get a Subaru WRX, AWD, four door, decent mileage if you stay out of the turbo
Old 04-19-12, 08:38 PM
-Samurai-
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shake1
See if you can get a 2005+ C230 sedan for under 12k. It's a fairly reliable car (stay away from 04 or older) and gets great gas mileage. I used to own an 05 before my IS and it is not the fastest but still pretty sporty yet luxurious and still got around 30mpg on highway. It's rwd but get a decent set of snow tires and you'll be fine. I'm sure you are used to driving the SC in snow anyways. Like others mentioned, the IS300 doesn't really get the best mpg.
Thanks for the input! Idk I heard oil changes on Benz are killer? and I'm really trying to stay away from RWD for commute because it scares the hell out of me to drive the SC in snow and ice as I've totalled an SC300 I had a few years back. I like the way the C230 looks though. Also brings up the other car I looked into the Acura RL AWD? the 2005's are around 12000. They look like well built cars and the AWD would be super nice in snow as well. Those get around 28-30 highway too. What you guys think?
Old 04-19-12, 08:41 PM
-Samurai-
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
For 12k I would go for a TSX or a Mazda 3 grand touring, that has leather and heated seats, xeon lights, etc..

One other oddball option is to get a Subaru WRX, AWD, four door, decent mileage if you stay out of the turbo
We think alike lol, but I've looked into them and they are super hard to find around here! I dont know why but very rare cars in the years I can afford, everyones snatching them up and they are gone lol. But they are a little higher in price as well.
Old 04-19-12, 09:07 PM
LexFather

What is your definition of fuel efficient? Cause I look at that list and the only thing remotely fuel efficient is the 200hp I-4 TSX. FYI the Acura RL AWD has the MPG of a V-8 its horrendous.

Since you don't mind FWD cars what about an A4? You can chip it. VW Passat CC?

Old 04-19-12, 09:21 PM
-Samurai-
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
What is your definition of fuel efficient? Cause I look at that list and the only thing remotely fuel efficient is the 200hp I-4 TSX. FYI the Acura RL AWD has the MPG of a V-8 its horrendous.

Since you don't mind FWD cars what about an A4? You can chip it. VW Passat CC?
Specs say the RL can get 28 highway... And I looked up reviews on the A4 Quattros and horrible consumer reviews with a lot of problems to worry about.
Old 04-19-12, 09:25 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

03 or newer Audi A6 Quattro ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

how did that get on the list?
Old 04-19-12, 09:27 PM
-Samurai-
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bagwell
03 or newer Audi A6 Quattro ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

how did that get on the list?
Buddy has one and its a nice looking car and fully equipped so I like them just dont know a lot about them lol
Old 04-19-12, 09:32 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by -Samurai-
Specs say the RL can get 28 highway... And I looked up reviews on the A4 Quattros and horrible consumer reviews with a lot of problems to worry about.

Its rated 16/24...and owners get terrible MPG, read around..AWD doesn't help MPG

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find....n=sbs&id=20832

Old 04-19-12, 09:36 PM
-Samurai-
Lead Lap

Its rated 16/24...and owners get terrible MPG, read around..AWD doesn't help MPG

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find....n=sbs&id=20832
Damn it lol...well I guess I read wrong...Still liking the TL and TSX I know those get great mileage for what they are. Almost 29 I think right?
Old 04-19-12, 09:43 PM
LexFather

Damn it lol...well I guess I read wrong...Still liking the TL and TSX I know those get great mileage for what they are. Almost 29 I think right?
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find....20658&id=21746

Looking at the RL/TL/TSX/IS 250 the IS gets the best MPG, even better than teh TSX and it has a V-6 and not an I-4. The TL is the best blend of power but its FWD and not as fun as the IS. The TSX is best with the manual and not the Automatic.

Old 04-19-12, 09:46 PM
-Samurai-
Lead Lap

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find....20658&id=21746

Looking at the RL/TL/TSX/IS 250 the IS gets the best MPG, even better than teh TSX and it has a V-6 and not an I-4. The TL is the best blend of power but its FWD and not as fun as the IS. The TSX is best with the manual and not the Automatic.
Wow I didnt realize the IS got that good of mileage, even better than the smaller TSX and smaller engine?! thats amazing, I still love lexus dont get me wrong, its just I cant find any of those IS's in my price range, hard to find cars in the first place around here lol
Old 04-20-12, 12:14 AM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also vote none on the list. If I were in your situation I'd like at a new Kia or Hyundai or a few year old Corolla, Civic or Subaru.
Old 04-20-12, 08:54 AM
-Samurai-
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kamikaze2b
I also vote none on the list. If I were in your situation I'd like at a new Kia or Hyundai or a few year old Corolla, Civic or Subaru.
I'm not going the grandma car route man lol, like I said I still want sporty styling and comfort.
Old 04-20-12, 09:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm not going the grandma car route man lol, like I said I still want sporty styling and comfort.
Well, just what do you consider a "Grandma" car? I see little old ladies driving all kinds of different vehicles, not just big Buicks and Cadillacs like the nonsense you read in some of the auto-press. That's one reason (among many) why I don't buy the notion of automotive stereotypes.
Old 04-20-12, 09:13 AM
LexFather

But you are looking at a bunch of FWD cars

j/k

Quick Reply: Looking for a different car