Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW & Toyota to Develop a Sports Car & Extend Technology (update pg. 2)

Old 06-27-12, 10:42 AM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow! Before long, Toyota will be the de facto supplier of Hybrid systems for automobiles. Sell the cheap, weak versions to your rivals and that way you can always be ahead of them by keeping the premium stuff for yourselves. lol. Toyota can't be stopped at the moment. Bad press, a couple years of complacency, and natural disasters still cant stop them.
Old 06-29-12, 04:32 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Update

BMW and Toyota Motor Corp. today said they will develop a sports car together and cooperate in fuel cell technology, powertrain electrification and lightweight technologies.

BMW CEO Norbert Reithofer and Toyota President Akio Toyoda signed an initial agreement at BMW's Munich headquarters to expand long-term strategic collaboration between the 2automakers.

"Toyota and the BMW Group share the same strategic vision of sustainable individual future mobility. Together we have a great opportunity to continue leading our industry through this transformation," Reithofer said in a statement.

Toyoda said in the same statement: "Toyota is strong in environment-friendly hybrids and fuel cells. On the other hand, I believe BMW's strength is in developing sports cars. I am excited to think of the cars that will result from this relationship."

In March, BMW and Toyota agreed to collaborate with BMW on lithium-ion battery research in exchange for a steady supply of BMW-made diesel engines starting in 2014.

The companies today said they signed an agreement that allows joint development of a fuel cell system, joint development of architecture and components for a future sports vehicle, collaboration on powertrain electrification and joint research and development on lightweight technologies.
PRESS RELEASE: BMW Group and Toyota Motor Corporation agree to further strengthen collaboration

Tokyo/Munich . Akio Toyoda, President of Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC), met today with Norbert Reithofer, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG, at BMW Group headquarters in Munich to announce the planned expansion of their existing cooperation initiated in December last year. The 2 companies signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) aimed at long-term strategic collaboration in four fields: joint development of a fuel cell system, joint development of architecture and components for a future sports vehicle, collaboration on powertrain electrification and joint research and development on lightweight technologies.

Also today, Norbert Reithofer and Akio Toyoda of TMC both signed a Joint Statement to reconfirm their companies' shared intention to strengthen the long-term, strategic collaboration between them.

Reithofer said: "We aim to further strengthen our competitive position in sustainable future technologies. We signed an MoU to this effect today. Toyota and the BMW Group share the same strategic vision of sustainable individual future mobility. Together we have a great opportunity to continue leading our industry through this transformation."

Toyoda added: "BMW and Toyota both want to make ever-better cars. We respect each other. And I think this is shown by our taking the next step only six months since the signing of our initial agreement. Toyota is strong in environment-friendly hybrids and fuel cells. On the other hand, I believe BMW's strength is in developing sports cars. I am excited to think of the cars that will result from this relationship."

In March 2012, the BMW Group and TMC signed a binding agreement on collaborative research in the field of next-generation lithium-ion battery cells. In addition, the BMW Group and Toyota Motor Europe entered into a contract under which the BMW Group will supply highly-efficient 1.6 litre and 2.0 litre diesel engines to Toyota Motor Europe, starting in 2014.

Today's MoU represents the companies' agreement in December last year to identify and discuss other possible collaborative projects.
Old 06-29-12, 06:41 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default bmw + toyota

I wasn't sure where to post this so mods, if you need to move it, please do but I figured to post it here since the result of this calabo might produce something of an ISx50 equivalent or maybe around that price point.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...NEWS/120629803

We all know that bmw and Toyota are partnering on their diesel and hybrid technocally and quite frankly I'm interested to see where this takes us.

That would be cool if Toyota brings back the MR2 Turbo or Supra Turbo with BMW and Toyota cross engineering. I'd get the Supra as I've alway loved that car. Hopefully, this joint partnership will give us an end product in 5 years or so.
Old 06-29-12, 07:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bam
I wasn't sure where to post this so mods, if you need to move it, please do but I figured to post it here since the result of this calabo might produce something of an ISx50 equivalent or maybe around that price point.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...NEWS/120629803

We all know that bmw and Toyota are partnering on their diesel and hybrid technocally and quite frankly I'm interested to see where this takes us.

That would be cool if Toyota brings back the MR2 Turbo or Supra Turbo with BMW and Toyota cross engineering. I'd get the Supra as I've alway loved that car. Hopefully, this joint partnership will give us an end product in 5 years or so.
If it is BMW, then sports car JV will be with Lexus.

I bet some coupe or something.
Old 06-29-12, 07:54 AM
LexFather

BMW and Lexus sports car? BRING IT!!!Though looking at new releases Lexus will bring the sport and BMW the luxury the world we live in today

Old 06-29-12, 08:07 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kind of surprised with Toyoda's comments about "BMW's strength is developing sports cars."

Toyota just wrapped up the LFA which is one of the best sports cars ever built, the GT86 is now finished, and they have a history of Supras, Celicas and MR2s. BMW has a history of making M cars - fast versions of standard vehicles - but not so much sports cars, IMO. I know that they have a deeper racing heritage, but looking at the last 20 years, it seems to me that Toyota has the upper hand with building sports cars.

The 2 companies signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) aimed at long-term strategic collaboration in four fields: joint development of a fuel cell system, joint development of architecture and components for a future sports vehicle, collaboration on powertrain electrification and joint research and development on lightweight technologies.
Joint development of a fuel cell? Not sure how BMW's help will benefit Toyota, who has been the clear leader here. BMW's current alternative powertrains are some 1-2 generations behind Toyota.

Future sports vehicle? Ok, I can see a Subaru-Toyota tie up for something similar to the GT86, but I'm not really keen on the next generation Supra having BMW's DNA.

Powertrain electrification? Once again, to me, it seems like BMW has more to gain here. I know they have tinkered with hybrids and electricity, but not to the extent that Toyota has perfected them.

Weight saving technologies? I think this part sounds good. Maybe if the two can jointly invest in more carbon fiber and stamped aluminum, they can both benefit. Then again, Toyota already has a CF loom...what is BMW bringing to the table?

Just seems to me that Toyota is giving up an awful lot for small diesel engines and some "collaboration". I have a lot of respect for BMW but their track record with electronics leaves much to be desired. I am weary of that trickling into any Toyota products.
Old 06-29-12, 08:54 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Old 06-29-12, 09:01 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is going to be EPIC!
Old 06-29-12, 09:04 AM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Powertrain electrification? Once again, to me, it seems like BMW has more to gain here. I know they have tinkered with hybrids and electricity, but not to the extent that Toyota has perfected them.

Weight saving technologies? I think this part sounds good. Maybe if the two can jointly invest in more carbon fiber and stamped aluminum, they can both benefit. Then again, Toyota already has a CF loom...what is BMW bringing to the table?

Just seems to me that Toyota is giving up an awful lot for small diesel engines and some "collaboration". I have a lot of respect for BMW but their track record with electronics leaves much to be desired. I am weary of that trickling into any Toyota products.
I think that Toyota has a lot they can learn from BMW in this partnership. Regarding powertrain electrification, Toyota really needs some performance hybrid tech. Don't get me wrong, the planetary split device is the best transmission on the market in my opinion. However, they need a more involving hybrid powertrain for something like the LF-Lc. BMW has something like that in all of their Activehybrids. Sure, it needs work but that's where Toyota can build upon their innovations - like they do with most tech.

Regarding the CF, BMW is set to be the largest carbon fiber manufacturer in 2013. They are actually in the process of tooling factories to mass make CF body panels for cars like the i3.

And hopefully Toyota can teach BMW a thing or two about electronics. I really wouldn't mind a Bavarian in my driveway if it were a touch lighter and far more reliable.
Old 06-29-12, 10:01 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Toyota def has some experience with building sports but over the last years, Toyota shifted their direction from marginally profitable sports car to highly profitable and highly public hybrid cars. Toyota was making dedicated sports cars before BMW. BMW has the M1 but some will say that car is more of a GT car than a true sports car. In BMW's case their current lineup mainly consists of "regular" models modified to fit the M brand so still not true sports cars. Granted, BMW has done a wonderful job with their sport marketing and I believe part of this partnership in developing a joint sparts car will consist of Toyota mentioning the fact that it's a joint partnership with BMW. By doing so, it will automatically give Toyota creditbility even though I don't necessarily think Toyota needs it. Again look at some of their past dedicated sports car such as the Supra Turbo, MR2 turbo, or even LFA. Toyota can make them and knows how to make them. Over the last 10 years or so, it's just that Toyota has decided not to make them because they wanted to focus on being the most environmentally friendly car company out there.

With all of the money that Toyota has and other available resources at their disposal, I hope Toyota gets back into the sports car category with full steam. I'd love to see a 2 seater, a 4 seat coupe, a convertible, and a roadster from Toyota. I just hope they either make the car a Toyota or a Lexus and not a Scion. I wouldn't mind a Supra Turbo with Lexus luxuries. Or make a Supra Turbo but put it on the higher end of the Toyota spectrum. Don't make it as expensive as a Landcruiser but make it nice just not as Lexus nice and I'll sign up.
Old 06-29-12, 01:24 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm quite excited about. This collaboration of my two favorite car makers can only be a good thing.

I'm looking forward to BMW M cars with Lexus reliability.
Old 06-29-12, 01:52 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW I notice that behind Norbert it says, BMW Group followed by the BMW, Mini and Rolls Royce logos. I think Toyota should have done the same or just shown Lexus. They don't emphasize the Lexus brand enough in PR which contributes to the perception that it is just a badge and not a car manufacturer.
Old 06-29-12, 02:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lucasb7
I think that Toyota has a lot they can learn from BMW in this partnership. Regarding powertrain electrification, Toyota really needs some performance hybrid tech. Don't get me wrong, the planetary split device is the best transmission on the market in my opinion. However, they need a more involving hybrid powertrain for something like the LF-Lc. BMW has something like that in all of their Activehybrids. Sure, it needs work but that's where Toyota can build upon their innovations - like they do with most tech.

Regarding the CF, BMW is set to be the largest carbon fiber manufacturer in 2013. They are actually in the process of tooling factories to mass make CF body panels for cars like the i3.

And hopefully Toyota can teach BMW a thing or two about electronics. I really wouldn't mind a Bavarian in my driveway if it were a touch lighter and far more reliable.
BMW is going to use Toyota hybrid systems, lithium batteries and fuel cells.
Toyota is going to use BMW diesels in Europe.
Not sure on CF.
They will together develop "sports car".

Dont get suckered into PR talk. Actually developing something together will take years... as in 4 to 6 minimum.

As to the HSD, in GS450h it has 2 gears already, and pretty much all reviewers are happy with it. Good thing about this is that they might develop more different powertrains for Lexus as well, since they can expand their market.
Old 06-29-12, 02:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by *Batman*
BTW I notice that behind Norbert it says, BMW Group followed by the BMW, Mini and Rolls Royce logos. I think Toyota should have done the same or just shown Lexus. They don't emphasize the Lexus brand enough in PR which contributes to the perception that it is just a badge and not a car manufacturer.
Japanese are different than us, they are not flashy. They could have had Daihatsu there too.
Old 06-29-12, 02:46 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This should be quite interesting.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BMW & Toyota to Develop a Sports Car & Extend Technology (update pg. 2)