Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2013 Infiniti JX35

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-12, 11:06 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Congratulations to your sister. Did the dealership go over the break-in procedures with her? Break-in, on today's cars, is less critical than in the past, but is still a good idea.
Thanks, I'll pass your kind words along.

Yes the dealer gave them a good once over on the car and how to use most stuff. As for break in, he tells me the only thing that was mentioned was to go easy on the brakes unless there is an emergency the first 200 miles. But he's old school like myself and is taking it easy and varying RPMs for the first 1K.

In this area, unlike where your sister picked hers up, they are just starting to hit dealerships now. I got to review one of the first.
They preordered it to have first refusal, it came in around 4/4 I think and needless to say they liked it.

Just wait till you hear James Brown on a stereo like that.....or a Mark Levinson.
Nice!!

Yes....I agree it's a help for some parking-needs. But, IMO, too many of those electronic safety/driver-aid nannies tends to lessen a driver's skills and requirements for paying attention.
Well put, the parking is very welcomed because its controlled.
Old 04-17-12, 04:48 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Max torque does not always tell the whole story. You need to look at torque range. In a big, heavy SUV you need as much torque as possible at way down low, especially if you're going to do some offroading.
Old 04-17-12, 06:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Max torque does not always tell the whole story. You need to look at torque range. In a big, heavy SUV you need as much torque as possible at way down low, especially if you're going to do some offroading.
Agreed. But this engine is a little on the peaky side....max torque at 4400. And, in general, the JX is a cruiser. It not as well-designed for off-roading as some smaller, more truckish Nissan SUVs like the XTerra and Pathfinder.
Old 04-17-12, 06:54 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Agreed. But this engine is a little on the peaky side....max torque at 4400. And, in general, the JX is a cruiser. It not as well-designed for off-roading as some smaller, more truckish Nissan SUVs like the XTerra and Pathfinder.
That doesnt necessarily mean the engine is peaky. it could be making close to its maximum torque starting from very low RPMs and sustaining it all the way through 4400rpm. I'm not saying it is the case, but it could very well be - otherwise I don't see any good reason for low HP rating.
Old 04-17-12, 07:52 PM
LexFather

I literally thought it was a green van when i looked more closely and noticed it was the new JX. It is beyond hideous in their classic SUV fashion and it was a base model with small wheels, not the loaded model everyone is posting online. Knowing it has the same engine from a Maxima ten years ago and its basically a wannabe RX 15 years late but with "7 seats" I guess the appeal is that it has "7 seats" or you like Nissans.

Outside of a couple of possible gadgets I have the foggiest idea why one would purchase over a Buick Enclave or Acura MDX. That said it seems to be a early sales hit but hell people bought 30,000 Civics last month too.

I love my wife.

Old 04-17-12, 08:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I literally thought it was a green van when i looked more closely and noticed it was the new JX. It is beyond hideous in their classic SUV fashion and it was a base model with small wheels, not the loaded model everyone is posting online.
Would you agree with me, though, that it is the most-conventional-looking SUV that Infiniti has done since the QX series? That was the impression that I got from it. I didn't see the styling as anything outlandish, like I did with the FX.

Outside of a couple of possible gadgets I have the foggiest idea why one would purchase over a Buick Enclave or Acura MDX.
Granted, the Enclave's interior, visually, is a wood-tone beauty, but, except for the true natural wood on the steering wheel, almost all of that classy-looking wood and chrome is just a thin surface-layer of glitz on top of the same decades-old GM cheap plastic. The MDX uses slightly better materials inside than the Buick, but, IMO, looks spartan compared to the JX. The JX, at least in the version I reviewed, doesn't skimp at all on material-quality, inside or out....you definitely get what you pay for.

The Enclave, though, does one significant advantage over both the MDX and JX. Its third row seat is tolerable even for guys your size and mine....we would't be jammed in like a pretzel.

I love my wife.
I'm sure you do, but I don't follow you......what does that has to do with the thread?

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-17-12 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-17-12, 08:54 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Biggest competitor will likely be Nissan's own upcoming Pathfinder. Same vehicle.
Old 04-17-12, 09:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I'm sure you do, but I don't follow you......what does that has to do with the thread?
perhaps he just wanted to end on a positive note.
Old 04-18-12, 08:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Biggest competitor will likely be Nissan's own upcoming Pathfinder. Same vehicle.
Well, if that's the case, then the new Pathfinder will have to have a major transformation to a unibody FWD/AWD platform. It is currently on a truck-based, body-on-frame, RWD/4WD setup. The Pathfinder also sells in a lower price-class than the JX.

The Pathfinder has had an interesting history. The 1Gen was body-on-frame. The 2Gen was unibody. The 3Gen went back to body-on-frame. Now we'll see what the 4Gen looks like.
Old 04-18-12, 10:03 AM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a black one and a white one so far and I think they look pretty good.
Old 04-18-12, 02:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
I saw a black one and a white one so far and I think they look pretty good.
And the other colors offered on the JX aren't much different from white or black.
Old 04-18-12, 05:58 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I think its priced right for what it offers. There's def market for 7 seater SUVs.
Old 04-18-12, 08:30 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I literally thought it was a green van when i looked more closely and noticed it was the new JX. It is beyond hideous in their classic SUV fashion and it was a base model with small wheels, not the loaded model everyone is posting online. Knowing it has the same engine from a Maxima ten years ago and its basically a wannabe RX 15 years late but with "7 seats" I guess the appeal is that it has "7 seats" or you like Nissans.

Outside of a couple of possible gadgets I have the foggiest idea why one would purchase over a Buick Enclave or Acura MDX. That said it seems to be a early sales hit but hell people bought 30,000 Civics last month too.

I love my wife.
Tell us really how you feel about the JX. Not sure how it's a RX wannabe when it's a 7 seater with a van shape along the lines of the Venza.I'm not crazy about the JX either but I think there is big demand for mid-size 7 seater cross-overs.
Old 04-18-12, 08:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
Tell us really how you feel about the JX. Not sure how it's a RX wannabe when it's a 7 seater with a van shape along the lines of the Venza.I'm not crazy about the JX either but I think there is big demand for mid-size 7 seater cross-overs.
Which is why I stated its selling well initially. Its funny to see you people defending a vehicle made in Tennesse, FWD based, sloppier handling than the RX, 265hp which is maybe lowest in class, a CVT, uglier but "OMG it has 2 more useless seats in the back".

4SUVs, really? These same people crapped on the RX for over a decade for "omg its boring" and here is their version of the RX 15 years late with 2 more seats and its a great thing?

It is obvious this is a huge profit car for the brand built not to be the best or be class leading but to make the most money for them. For the BRAND, its a no brainer and a great decision. For anyone trying to act like this is some amazing new entry needs their head examined.

Old 04-18-12, 09:13 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, if that's the case, then the new Pathfinder will have to have a major transformation to a unibody FWD/AWD platform. It is currently on a truck-based, body-on-frame, RWD/4WD setup. The Pathfinder also sells in a lower price-class than the JX.

The Pathfinder has had an interesting history. The 1Gen was body-on-frame. The 2Gen was unibody. The 3Gen went back to body-on-frame. Now we'll see what the 4Gen looks like.
The 4g is going back to unibody iirc. More crossover than off-road truck.

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2013 Infiniti JX35