Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW: The Greatest Car Ever Made Says Top Gear’s Hammond

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-12, 07:39 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default BMW: The Greatest Car Ever Made Says Top Gear’s Hammond

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/break...140906756.html

Video in link.

If it was anybody else, you could probably just dismiss it as babel or a momentary lapse of judgement. But to hear from Richard Hammond, a guy who achieved global fame by sitting behind the wheel of some of the world's fastest and most exotic cars, is an entirely different matter.

To say nice things about pricey German cars is as common as cliches, but for the host of Top Gear to throw out ''best car ever made," that's cause to pull over and listen.

"To a degree you really could make a case for them being exactly that," Hammond says in the attached video, pointing to BMW's engineering pedigree and a reputation for quality that assures you their cars will "be here in ten years."

Hammond's revelation first came to light in a column he wrote for London's The Daily Mirror, in which he called the new 3-Series "three-mendous." In hilarious fashion, this critic turned fan actually berates himself for not being able to find faults, and even admits how much easier it is to be critical then complimentary.

All of this comes as the new 3-Series marks the 6th generation or platform update for a model that's nearly 40 years old. It also comes at a time when consumers appear to be in agreement with Hammond, as BMW just posted its best first-quarter sales ever, with a total of 425,000 more going to China than the U.S.

"Their cars are not about cutting edge, brand new technology, breaking new ground, pushing things further. That's kind of not what their cars are about," Hammond says. "Their cars are about doing what's already known...and doing it extremely well."
Old 04-12-12, 07:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

he should tell BMW that their new 3 series is not about cutting edge :-)
Old 04-12-12, 07:49 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

BMW has a good recipe, and they're sticking to it.

It works...
Old 04-12-12, 08:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
he should tell BMW that their new 3 series is not about cutting edge :-)
oh really? while other cars/brands may do specific things better, the overall package (and all the variations) of the 3 series is awesome, and i don't think anyone else beats it.
Old 04-12-12, 08:32 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
oh really? while other cars/brands may do specific things better, the overall package (and all the variations) of the 3 series is awesome, and i don't think anyone else beats it.
you should read OP and not answer blindly :-). Hammond said 3 series is not about cutting edge.
I dont think BMW would agree to that.
Old 04-12-12, 09:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
BMW has a good recipe, and they're sticking to it.

It works...
Well, yes and no. They pretty much have stuck to the recipe of superb chassis-engineering, tactile-smooth steering, and (at least in non-M models) an almost ideal combination of ride and handling. But the Chris-Bangle styling trends, I-Drive, clumsy electronic shifters, unreliable electronics, unimpressive (or fake) seat-leather, and some so-so quality paint jobs of the last several years have been, IMO, damaging to their formerly sterling reputation.
Old 04-12-12, 09:29 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

What about reliability? I don't recall that being BMW's forte at all?
Old 04-12-12, 09:37 AM
LexFather

Its simply his opinion and there is merit to it.

Old 04-12-12, 09:41 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

and here I thought he was a porsche fanatic lol
Old 04-12-12, 10:13 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

opinions are like a**holes.

everybody's got one.
Old 04-12-12, 10:26 AM
votru
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
opinions are like a**holes.

everybody's got one.
You, sir, are good .
Hat off to BMW for sticking to their winning formula and continue refine the design.
Old 04-12-12, 12:00 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Not to poop on his parade but why would all the millions of other people that could afford a 3 series buy anything other than the best car ever made? Hammond has tremendous credibility but his word can't speak for everyone just because hes been in and driven some of the best cars. Case in point: if I usually sleep with models on a regular basis and decided that one of my usual model chics that I've slept with was the best lover in the world, would that make my opinion the holy grail of opinions? No! Its just means I love her pu&$# y. That said, I love the new 3 series coupe. Thats the best looking coupe in the world. ;-)
Old 04-12-12, 12:21 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Not to poop on his parade but why would all the millions of other people that could afford a 3 series buy anything other than the best car ever made? Hammond has tremendous credibility but his word can't speak for everyone just because hes been in and driven some of the best cars. Case in point: if I usually sleep with models on a regular basis and decided that one of my usual model chics that I've slept with was the best lover in the world, would that make my opinion the holy grail of opinions? No! Its just means I love her pu&$# y. That said, I love the new 3 series coupe. Thats the best looking coupe in the world. ;-)

love the analogy!
Old 04-12-12, 12:25 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

gee, when lexus came out with the RX, people kept using words like "evolutionary" rather than "revolutionary"

and now we have the 3 series, which pretty much looks like the outgoing 3 series and I havent heard a single word about it

is the new 3 series coupe out? I havent seen it yet
Old 04-12-12, 12:37 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
gee, when lexus came out with the RX, people kept using words like "evolutionary" rather than "revolutionary"

and now we have the 3 series, which pretty much looks like the outgoing 3 series and I havent heard a single word about it

is the new 3 series coupe out? I havent seen it yet
Well it may not be the coupe on the newest platform. Very well maybe the current gen that I'm in love with. Thats one sleek looking car imo. Especially the convertible hardtop.

Quick Reply: BMW: The Greatest Car Ever Made Says Top Gear’s Hammond