Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Toyota RAV4: revealed at L.A. Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-12, 06:04 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota dropping the V-6 from the RAV4 has been rumored for awhile. Actually I think I started that rumor as speculation over at RAV4World.com, noting future tighter CAFE / mpg requirements and the fact that the latest gen 4Runner no longer has a V8 option like it did before, and the fact that Toyota now actually OWNS Tesla (I think??) and was playing with their EV powertrain in the RAV4 (made public awhile ago), all pointing towards going in a different direction powertrain wise with the next RAV4.

The V-6 in the RAV4 is totally overkill anyways, and actually drives quite poorly (I own one). A RAV4 lineup with a 2.5L/6AT regular model, a hybrid and/or a full EV would make a whole lot more sense in today's enviro-political climate.
Old 05-01-12, 07:07 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Toyota dropping the V-6 from the RAV4 has been rumored for awhile. Actually I think I started that rumor as speculation over at RAV4World.com, noting future tighter CAFE / mpg requirements and the fact that the latest gen 4Runner no longer has a V8 option like it did before, and the fact that Toyota now actually OWNS Tesla (I think??) and was playing with their EV powertrain in the RAV4 (made public awhile ago), all pointing towards going in a different direction powertrain wise with the next RAV4.

The V-6 in the RAV4 is totally overkill anyways, and actually drives quite poorly (I own one). A RAV4 lineup with a 2.5L/6AT regular model, a hybrid and/or a full EV would make a whole lot more sense in today's enviro-political climate.
i dont see the reason for them dropping it, just like they didnt drop it from Camry.
Old 05-01-12, 08:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i dont see the reason for them dropping it, just like they didnt drop it from Camry.
I would bet the V6 Camry will eventually get dropped.
Old 05-01-12, 10:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
only when they replace V6 with something else.... or should I say retire GR series.
Otherwise still gets great mpg and great speed combo compared to any competition out there.

And Toyota has a lot of CAFE credits for their hybrids... they can afford to have V6's and V8's as much as they want.
Old 05-02-12, 02:09 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

And Toyota has a lot of CAFE credits for their hybrids... they can afford to have V6's and V8's as much as they want.
So then I'm wondering why they dropped the V8 out of the 4RNR. Image? Marketing / product positioning?
Old 05-02-12, 04:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
So then I'm wondering why they dropped the V8 out of the 4RNR. Image? Marketing / product positioning?
nobody bought it.
Old 05-02-12, 06:51 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

nobody bought it.
May be because it costs so close to the Lexus GX. A Limited V6 is about $46k already. A V8 would have brought it to close to $50k. We have two 4.7l V8 4Runner in the family. This engine is like indestructible.
Old 05-02-12, 07:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
May be because it costs so close to the Lexus GX. A Limited V6 is about $46k already. A V8 would have brought it to close to $50k. We have two 4.7l V8 4Runner in the family. This engine is like indestructible.
GR is also indestructible :-). 4Runner V8 was basically GX except for the interior.
Old 05-02-12, 08:28 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

nobody bought it.
I owned two with the V8 and would have got it again but the 5th gen didn't offer it
Old 05-03-12, 03:12 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

nobody bought it.
Doubt it. I used to see them all the time.
Old 05-03-12, 04:48 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The 4Runner not having a V8 option got my buddy forum member Koz to buy a new '11 GX..
His V8 4Runner was totaled and he wanted to buy another 4Runner V8 to tow his travel trailer.
Old 05-03-12, 05:51 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

So then maybe it's about product and market differentiation and segmentation stuff. The next RAV4 not having a V-6 would make more sense if there was a Lexus based version coming that would have it. Sorta like the CR-V is stuck with just a 4-cylinder and if you want more you can get an RDX.
Old 05-03-12, 06:57 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Not likely any time soon. The Camry platform holds many larger vehicles that use V6's and thus is engineered with one in mind. So until RX's, Sienna's, ES's, Avalon's, Highlander's, Venza's, etc no longer need V6's, I'm sure the Camry will have one available.

I mean the hybrids and 4 cylinders may take up a huge percentage, but I still see the V6 being offered.
Old 05-07-12, 04:02 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

So turns out that it is basically the same car as the prototype that's been shown around except for an upgraded center console. $49,800 sounds a bit expensive considering that the Leaf with the same driving range starts from $32,780 and that the pricing difference between a well equipped Versa and a well equipped RAV4 is only about $10k.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/07/t...ced-at-49-800/

Toyota RAV4 EV priced at $49,800

ble front seat heaters, which extends heater coverage to the occupant's upper back. The split reclining rear seats with folding center arm rest fold flat for increased cargo space, with a total cargo capacity equivalent to the conventional RAV4 of 73 cu. ft. No interior space is lost in the vehicle due to EV components.
The highlight of the interior is an eight-inch capacitive touch screen with a state of the art graphic display, featuring navigation, telematics, and EV drive information and settings designed specifically for the RAV4 EV. EntuneTM is standard (with three year complimentary access to EntuneTM services) along with SiriusXM Satellite Radio (with 3- month trial subscription to XM Select package), AM/FM radio, Bluetooth® streaming audio, and USB port with iPod® connectivity. The dash display color illuminates red when the vehicle is operating in sport mode and blue in normal driving mode.

Toyota's approved electric vehicle supplier equipment provider is Leviton. Leviton offers multiple options for charging solutions. For the shortest charge time of approximately six hours, Leviton offers a custom 240V (Level 2), 40A, 9.6 kW output charging station. For more information visit Leviton.com/Toyota. The vehicle comes equipped with a 120V (Level 1) emergency charging cable for instances when the recommended 240V (Level 2) charging is not available.

The RAV4 EV will go on sale in late summer 2012 through select dealers, initially in four major California metropolitan markets including Sacramento, San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles/Orange County and San Diego. Sales volume is planned for approximately 2,600 units over the next three years. The battery warranty is 8 years or 100,000 miles.

"We believe that the RAV4 EV will attract sophisticated early technology adopters, much like the first-generation Prius," said Carter. "It's designed for consumers who prioritize the environment and appreciate performance. We look forward to seeing how the market responds."

In July 2010, Toyota Motor Corporation and Tesla Motors jointly announced an agreement to develop an all-electric version of the RAV4, with the intent to bring the vehicle to market in 2012. Tesla contributed its EV technology expertise, daring spirit, quick decision making and flexibility. Toyota contributed design, engineering, manufacturing and production expertise. In an industry where development cycles are typically five years, Toyota and Tesla brought a dynamic product to market in less than half that time.

Last edited by ydooby; 05-07-12 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-07-12, 04:05 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Well,the interior still looks like cheap plastic.I'm surprised and can't believe Toyota didn't do a better job.

Quick Reply: 2014 Toyota RAV4: revealed at L.A. Auto Show