Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motortrend sport sedans comparo: Lexus GS Dominates

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-12, 10:55 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
No doubt that Lexus needs to refine the URV8 for the next generation, so I'll keep praying that they decide to drop it under the hood of the GS once it's ready
Actually the UR engine series is very superb in its current state. Any improvements done to it (if any) are just bonus...........like striving for perfection on something that is already excellent.

What I am keeping an eye though is with regards to the Eaton Twin Vortex Supercharger (the one used by TRD). Back in 2008 or 2009, a pair of those produced 120 hp. It would be interesting to see if the technology has improved.
Old 04-10-12, 10:57 AM
JamesC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GS 350 is indeed a quick car. Just needs an 8-speed auto, hopefully next year. It's also the oldest engine in the comparison.

C&D's old comparo of the GS 350 (non-F sport) vs Audi A6 S-line
Old 04-10-12, 11:23 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Actually the UR engine series is very superb in its current state. Any improvements done to it (if any) are just bonus...........like striving for perfection on something that is already excellent.

What I am keeping an eye though is with regards to the Eaton Twin Vortex Supercharger (the one used by TRD). Back in 2008 or 2009, a pair of those produced 120 hp. It would be interesting to see if the technology has improved.
It is a great engine, but with competitors now at 400 - 450hp, Lexus needs to seriously increase horsepower to remain competitive.
Old 04-10-12, 12:18 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay for Lexus! Having driven a GS4, I can truly say it handles really well for a stock suspension. It's so tossable, and the steering is so direct, for a full-size sedan. Many thumbs up to the Lexus engineers.

And I love the new 4GS nose (aggressive and distinct), love the slab side (drop and proper shoes will add all the pizazz I need to the profile)....I just need some aftermarket help on that rearend. That azz will never grow on me. Don't like the integrated, faxe exhaust outlets or those taillights. But I have no doubts that the aftermarket will come through with something slick....something distinct. Everytime I look at the prototype's rear end, I frown....because the rear on the prototype was just money.

I look forward to getting one in a few years, either a hybrid or one with an eventual upgraded engine.

Such a great platform.
Old 04-10-12, 12:29 PM
Badsupra10
Driver

I want one bad they are so sick lookin
Old 04-10-12, 12:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

It is a great engine, but with competitors now at 400 - 450hp, Lexus needs to seriously increase horsepower to remain competitive.
i think we should stay apple to apple. for the v6 config, the gs350 engine is more than adequate for most out there imho. of course the lack of v8 is what hurt lexus on the "power" side
Old 04-10-12, 01:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i think we should stay apple to apple. for the v6 config, the gs350 engine is more than adequate for most out there imho. of course the lack of v8 is what hurt lexus on the "power" side
agreed.

Let's all not forget that there is plenty of power to be had out of the 5.0L V8. At its current NA state of 416hp and 371lbft its on par with most V8's at this liter range. And we know the LS TMG Edition running the ring' is rocking a V8 with 641hp (albeit likely supercharged), so a mix of tuning NA or adding FI makes it flexible.
Old 04-10-12, 01:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
And I love the new 4GS nose (aggressive and distinct), love the slab side (drop and proper shoes will add all the pizazz I need to the profile)....I just need some aftermarket help on that rearend. That azz will never grow on me. Don't like the integrated, faxe exhaust outlets or those taillights. But I have no doubts that the aftermarket will come through with something slick....something distinct. Everytime I look at the prototype's rear end, I frown....because the rear on the prototype was just money.
I don't either. Some good looking stuff coming out. Personally I'm sold on the white front and black/red's exhaust

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-bodykits.html
Old 04-10-12, 02:55 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Woo YES!! We should get the lip in the States! Lexus still keep all the good stuffs in Japanese market.

And I always think: why waste the ISF engine and only put in the IS but not other models. They can simply put that engine and tranny in the 4GS and boom, we have a GS500!
They put so much effort developing the engine and should produce more.
Old 04-10-12, 04:02 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Was not expecting this...at all. From now on i don't expect to own anything but gs's by this time next year. On a sidenote, the pic with them all lined up makes the gs look small.
Old 04-10-12, 05:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Woo YES!! We should get the lip in the States! Lexus still keep all the good stuffs in Japanese market.

And I always think: why waste the ISF engine and only put in the IS but not other models. They can simply put that engine and tranny in the 4GS and boom, we have a GS500!
They put so much effort developing the engine and should produce more.
technically the engine is in the ls600hl too

but yup, would be nice if they just put that isf engine in the 4gs, detune it a bit and go more smoothness, done deal
Old 04-10-12, 05:28 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
technically the engine is in the ls600hl too

but yup, would be nice if they just put that isf engine in the 4gs, detune it a bit and go more smoothness, done deal
They already have that "detuned" (or rather, untuned) engine. It's called the 2UR-FSE (in the LS600hL).
Old 04-10-12, 05:41 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Ill have the 535i 6MT please.
Old 04-10-12, 07:18 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

the only thing holding us back trading in our Acura TL for a GS350 f-sport is i'm kind of worry about the lifetime of the existing motor. i don't think this generation GS will use the same 3.5 V6 throughout its model cycle. remember the current 3.5 motor debuted back in 2006 as the 2007 model GS350. i have a hunch Lexus gonna upgrade to a newer better V6 midway through the GS cycle.
Old 04-10-12, 07:23 PM
langjaykev
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
the only thing holding us back trading in our Acura TL for a GS350 f-sport is i'm kind of worry about the lifetime of the existing motor. i don't think this generation GS will use the same 3.5 V6 throughout its model cycle. remember the current 3.5 motor debuted back in 2006 as the 2007 model GS350. i have a hunch Lexus gonna upgrade to a newer better V6 midway through the GS cycle.

Yup, Im having my parents hold off until they the 4GS receives a new improved engine.

Quick Reply: Motortrend sport sedans comparo: Lexus GS Dominates