Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Cadillac XTS priced from $44,995*

Old 04-07-12, 09:37 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Are you saying that the ES and LS had bigger trunks than the big full-size American-badged cars of the period? I don't think so.
I hesitated to include the ES in my post, and probably should have left it out. The best examples are cars like the Lexus LS and Acura Legend. No longer did one have to turn to a Cadillac, Buick, or Lincoln dealer to find a spacious, premium sedan. The new asian cars became instant all-around achievers and comfortable cruising could be had without the wallowing and lack of handling. Reliability was also a big added bonus.

As America ages and the old guard of the 70's and 80's die off, there will be less buying public who rationalizes and supports old American iron like retro Cadillacs and Lincolns. For Cadillac to continue chasing such a sect is a waste of resources. As originally promised by GM (more lies to the public), the XTS should have been a sporty alternative to the BMW 7 and Mercedes S, securing their spot as a longterm contender and contributing to the bottom line.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 04-08-12 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-07-12, 10:38 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
As America ages and the old guard of the 70's and 80's die off, there will be less buying public who rationalizes and supports old American iron like retro Cadillacs and Lincolns. For Cadillac to continue chasing such a sect is a waste of resources. As originally promised by GM (more lies to the public), the XTS should have been a sporty alternative to the BMW 7 and Mercedes S, securing their spot as a longterm contender and contributing to the bottom line.
I don't think it is a waste, as that market is only going to grow. Many people in the older age group want more comfortable rides. My argument is that this XTS is likely a very good replacement for something like the DTS/Town Car. Caddy has repeatedly stated this is not a flagship sedan. I see it as the ES vs the GS. I do hope they build something akin to the 7 and S, a true caddy flagship.
Old 04-07-12, 10:41 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Who buys a Caddy flagship, though, to go spurting around the 'Ring? That, obviously, is what the CTS-V is for. AWD, though, is indeed a welcome addition.
It was a joke as Caddy seems to be touting the 'Ring for their sedans (ATS and CTS). I don't doubt they would, however, when/if they release a true 7/S fighter.
Old 04-08-12, 03:40 AM
rcf8000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rented a Town Car for a week a couple of years ago. What a miserable excuse for a car. Good riddance. I'm sure the XTS will be much better. For that matter, I think the Impala will be much better, too. And it's a very attractive car. Should sell very well.

Last edited by rcf8000; 04-08-12 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Additional comment
Old 04-08-12, 06:15 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

For cars like the Fleetwood, town Car etc., their time has come and gone. It happens with every geeneration of car. New technology, consumer preferences and other general improvments are what keeps the car business going.

I have a warm spot for older cars but don't want to drive one everyday on the expressway or in bumper to bumper traffic. Fortuntely those of us who like the old rides can enjoy them through collectors, restorers and at cruise ins.
Old 04-08-12, 08:52 AM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Based on styling alone, this new XTS is just a new twist on a long line of poor selling full-sized Cadillacs and Lincolns. Not enough is changed here. It still has stodgy and retro styling- none of which leads to longterm sales or capturing the aging baby boomers. The game changed back in the 90's when Lexus introduced cars like the ES and LS. Suddenly the executive or retiree could have a modern piece of technology that still rode smoothly and had good storage space. That was the beginning of the end for the big American iron.
I wish Caddy luck, it's going to need it.
Im inclined to agree. I just dont see the buyers cadillac is looking for here....same with the acura RLX....same with the lincoln MKS...i rarely if ever see those....where are the people scrambling for a huge expensive FWD luxo barge? Most people who want a FWD luxury car go for an executive midsizer like the ES, acura TL, lincoln MKZ, etc or a fullsize like the avalon, ford taurus or nissan maxima...
i know its unpopular here since alot of you seem to defend this car, but i dont see its purpose or who will buy it. I think this part of the market is dead and cadillac is beating a dead horse
Old 04-08-12, 09:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

10,000 a DAY retire in America. there's plenty of people coming into the market.
Old 04-08-12, 10:51 AM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my old folks (grandparents) have a lincoln MKZ and a toyota avalon and they love them. They are the perfect demographic for this vehicle. I asked my grandfather what he thought of the DTS since they shopped cadillac when looking for grandma's MKZ (grandpa has 2010 avalon and 1999 4Runner) and he penned it as a "obnoxious boat your grandmother couldn't judge the distance of
I guess it all comes down to personal choice. Alot of Floridians will love this car im sure.
Old 04-08-12, 01:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
xts:
Wheelbase: 111.7 inches
Length: 202 inches
Width: 72.9 inches
Height: 59.1 inches
Curb weight: 3,995 lbs
Horsepower: 300
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...illac-xts3.htm
the XTS isn't a boat. even the new azera has bigger wheelbase and width (although 9" shorter).

Azera:
Wheelbase: 112-inches
Length: 193.3 inches
Width: 73.2 inches
Old 04-08-12, 02:04 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
10,000 a DAY retire in America. there's plenty of people coming into the market.
Agreed. What people don't realized is that this going to be, extremely soon, the largest age group in our population. AARP is already one of the most powerful lobby groups in Congress. The ES is very nice but where to go if you want something bigger? The LS is a huge price jump and other cars at that price point might be a bit much for fixed income. And if you've been a Caddy fan, you might want to give this a try.
Old 04-08-12, 03:06 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

As one of the older generation (72) I thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth on what us old folks want in a car. I'm obviously writing this from my death bed so please forgive any typing errors.

I have in the past had lots of sporty and high performance cars but am no longer willing to put up with a rough ride and road noise to have that performance. My current ride is an LS460 which fits my desires very well. It is faster than most of the "muscle cars" I had in the past and is still quiet and smooth. I traded my 2010 RX350 on the LS to get the quieter ride. I was lucky in my to have made good money while working and had successful investments so I can afford to drive what I want. That doesn't mean I still don't look for value - no use in wasting money.

I had a 2008 ES350 and really liked that car so the new one with the larger back seat may be interesting in the future. The Avalon front styling will probably keep it off my list. The CTS is too small to use as a sedan for 4 adults, so it was not considered. The XTS should fix the room issue but I'm not sold on GM reliability yet. With the V-6 and FWD it is more of an ES competitor than one to compete with the LS (or Genesis).

Give me a luxury car with a smooth quiet ride and reasonable performance and I'm interested. Keep the price low and I might get excitied but that would be bad for my old heart.
Steve
Old 04-08-12, 04:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Steve, thanks for the informative, and funny post!
Old 04-08-12, 05:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
Agreed. What people don't realized is that this going to be, extremely soon, the largest age group in our population.

AARP is already one of the most powerful lobby groups in Congress.
Exactly. And they are not all going to want BMW, Audis, Lexus, or or Mercedes products. A fair number of them are going to want traditional American luxury-iron...yes, like the DTS and Town Car, only Caddy and Lincoln will have dropped them.

The ES is very nice but where to go if you want something bigger? The LS is a huge price jump and other cars at that price point might be a bit much for fixed income.
Good point. There is indeed a huge gap between ES and LS prices. The GS, to some extent, fills the void, but, being a luxury-sports sedan, is not what I'd call a true luxury car in the same sense as the ES and IS.

And if you've been a Caddy fan, you might want to give this a try.
I'll test-drive an XTS if I get a chance....but I remember how disappointed I was with the Lincoln MKS after years of sampling Town Cars (a friend of mine drove Town Cars for a limo-firm). The only positive addition of the MKS, IMO, was the new AWD option.

However, I'll keep an open mind on the XTS. I did like the DTS/DeVille's ride, but there were several things I didn't like about the DTS either.....its antiquated engine/transmission combination, boat-like body roll, lack of an AWD option, and so-so GM interior plastics. The XTS, hopefully, will improve on those deficiencies.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-08-12 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-08-12, 07:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Good point. There is indeed a huge gap between ES and LS prices. The GS, to some extent, fills the void, but, being a luxury-sports sedan, is not what I'd call a true luxury car in the same sense as the ES and LS.
Fixed it for ya!
Old 04-08-12, 11:31 PM
VIPG35
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks pretty good

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Cadillac XTS priced from $44,995*