Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quick Spin: 2014 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG S 4Matic

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-13, 05:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Quick Spin: 2014 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG S 4Matic

2014 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG S 4Matic

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-...photo-5650986/

Engine: Twin-Turbo 5.5L V8
Power: 577 HP / 590 LB-FT
Transmission: 7-Speed Auto
0-60 Time: 3.6 Seconds
Drivetrain: All-Wheel Drive
Curb Weight: 4,290 LBS
Seating: 2+3
MPG: 16 City / 24 HWY
As-Tested Price: $105,000 (est.)

Maybe you saw our recent blog snippet on a bunch of US journos getting pulled over in the middle of nowhere in Catalunya, Spain, for driving a bunch of new 2014 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG models. By all accounts, they weren't speeding – which makes me softly guffaw. I was there in that group, yet I had taken the more direct route into the mountains from Barcelona so that I could... well, so that I could go faster. No one hassled me and I had the Autovia all to myself. And it was the goodniks – the team players – who got nabbed because Spain had decided to suddenly enforce the never enforced "must carry an international driver's license" clause of the highway code.

The departing E63 AMG with 518 horsepower and 516 pound-feet of torque from its M157 5.5-liter biturbo V8 hasn't exactly been poorly received. It isn't as crisp as, nor as pleasantly evil as its C63 AMG kid brother, but we generally accept that the heavier and larger car will always feel, well, heavier and larger.

As part of the 2014 E-class mid-cycle redesign, Affalterbach decided to give its E63 AMG more power and torque for the occasion. The base car now gives off 550 hp and 531 lb-ft, while the hotter S version I tested (formerly the AMG Performance Pack) produces 577 hp and 590 lb-ft. The other big novelty is that E63 sedans will be available with both rear- and all-wheel drive, while all US-spec E63 wagons will be 4Matic equipped.

Driving Notes
  • All S-trimmed AMGs come standard with 4Matic all-wheel drive, as well as an AMG-specific 4Matic clutch pack integrated neatly to the rear of the 7G-Tronic gearbox housing. This unit really alters the game of the E63.
  • While the pumped-up standard E63 with rear-wheel drive now reels off 0-60 runs in an estimated 4.2 seconds, this E63 S with AMG 4Matic can straight-line to 60 mph in just 3.6. Compared to the non-S E63, this S rips it up at low revs when urged.
  • Not much has been altered for the chassis and suspension layout, so the ride and handling on the 19-inch Pirelli PZero treads – 255/35 front, 285/30 rear – and AMG sport suspension is entirely familiar. Merc knows how to coddle me Euro-style, even in an AMG model.
  • Things do get pretty hardcore due to the constant fore/aft torque split percentages of 33/67 via the AMG-specific 4Matic. (Non-AMG 4Matic E-Class models run a default 45/55 split, and it varies depending on road and driving conditions.)
  • Along with a completely new front axle to accommodate 4Matic and a more aggressive front wheel camber, there is a quicker 14.0:1 steering ratio versus standard E-class models at 17.4:1. The more hardcore AMG setup is programmed to be 25 percent heavier feeling than the Sport settings of the series car.
  • The steering action while driving along those Spanish curves was impressive, assisted by the rear axle mechanical differential lock that is standard on S models. This, coupled with the throttle's newfound urgency, makes for a far more aggressive E-class AMG than I've ever experienced. It's almost more along the lines of a C63 Black Series, honestly, yet more predictable at the hardest speeds.
  • The few tunnels that I shot through were perfect opportunities to shamelessly downshift and listen to the four-tip sport exhaust with the windows cranked down. (See our Short Cut video below.) The twin turbos make for a lower 6,500-rpm redline, but the rumble is as good as what we've come to expect from anything wearing an AMG badge.
  • My only trouble came from the AMG Speedshift version of the 7G-Tronic semi-automatic transmission. In Sport Plus or Manual modes, this transmission as programmed is awkward at times. The trouble is the ultra-conservative settings for upshifts, downshifts, and throttle response when called upon to punch hard from low speeds or in transitions. It is reassuring that Benz promises they are working hard on exactly this issue.
  • All of the redesigned E-class AMG models will arrive in August, and while Mercedes-Benz USA does not yet have exact pricing to announce, the rear-wheel-drive sedan should not vary greatly from its current price of $89,800 due to "current sensitivities in the marketplace." Adding 4Matic to the sedan and wagon (current base price $92,400) should set you back around $3,500. Want the S version in 4Matic sedan or wagon flavor? Be prepared for a further $15,000 hit.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/20/2...matic-w-video/
Old 02-20-13, 05:50 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Guess mercedes cant add AMG AMG

I think the "s" makes the badge look horrible
Old 02-20-13, 07:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated
oh damn, that's it, i won't get one now.

wait... oh yeah, the car's freaking awesome.
Old 02-20-13, 07:27 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edgeucated
Lol. Ya...cuz the badge matters. First thing I'd do is debadge it. I can't imagine the silly grins and shocked expressions when the station wagon leaves you at the line staring at tailights.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
oh damn, that's it, i won't get one now.

wait... oh yeah, the car's freaking awesome.
+1
Old 02-21-13, 03:26 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love E63 AMG wagon!
Old 02-21-13, 05:53 PM
Hoovey689

^^ maybe I'm different but I like the CLS 63 AMG Shoot Brake wagon more because it's sleeker
Old 05-15-14, 10:11 AM
Hoovey689

Default Brabus crafts 850hp E63 AMG, pushes top speed above 217 mph

Brabus has introduced its latest flagship sedan, modifying Mercedes-Benz' E63 AMG to produce 850 horsepower.

The German tuner has switched away from a V12 engine that was utilized for the E V12 Coupe, instead relying on the E63 AMG's own 5.5-liter V8 mill.

"The eight-cylinder engine of the E 63 and its two turbochargers provide the perfect breeding ground for an enormous power boost," the company notes.

Achieving the stellar performance figures required the company to bore the engine for larger pistons, bringing displacement up to 5.9 liters, while extending the stroke and replacing both turbochargers.

The modifications bring the output up from 550 ponies, while torque jumps to 848 lb-ft between 2,500 and 4,500 rpm. Brabus boasts that the tweaks are capable of producing an astonishing 1,069 lb-ft of twist, however the performance has been limited to reduce stress on the drivetrain.

With its Speedshift MCT seven-speed transmission, the rear-wheel-drive build is claimed to reach 62 mph from a standstill in just 3.7 seconds. Using the 4Matic all-wheel-drive system shaves the sprint time down to 3.1 seconds. Top speed is said to be above 217 mph.

Brabus took its E63 AMG into the wind tunnel to test its front spoiler lip, rear separation edge and diffusor insert, each crafted from carbon fiber. Customers can also change the exhaust tone via electronically-actuated butterfly valves.

The interior has also received treatments, with Brabus' own leather upholstery available in a range of colors. The company also added aluminum shift paddles, new pedals and other custom elements.

The company has not yet announced pricing information or availability details for the car, which is officially referred to as the Brabus E63 AMG 850 6.0 Biturbo.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/brabus-c...p-e63-amg.html