Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura RLX

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-12, 02:22 PM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acura RLX

Acura has big plans for the New York Auto Show next week, notably with the reveal of the replacement for the aging RL. The new vehicle, which will likely be called the RLX, will still make use of a V6, all-wheel drive powertrain, but will rely on electric motors to spin the rear wheels.

Car and Driver reports the system will actually be lighter than the components found on the current RL while still offering torque-vectoring capability. Acura has already gone through the pains of registering the RLX name with the U.S. Patent and Trademark office, and the move seems to be part of a larger effort to expunge two-letter names from the company's stable.

With the RL on the way out the door, the TL is the last of the old guard still hanging around, and word has it that model may be on the short list for execution as well. As Car and Driver points out, Acura is also in the process of registering the TLX name.

We have to wonder if the name swapping will do the company any good. From our vantage, it seems like Acura is simply swapping one meaningless moniker for another. Expect to see more details emerge as we get closer to the 2012 New York Auto Show next week, but in the meantime, feel free to peruse the brief press release after the break.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/28/a...rporate-e-awd/
Old 03-28-12, 02:24 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Knowing Honda, its probably gonna be ugly.
Old 03-28-12, 02:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
Knowing Honda, its probably gonna be ugly.
YUP!! So its going to a new RL with the same old SHAWD system they use on everything. Doesn't seem very innovative. Aren't these flagship model supposed to represent the apex of what the engineers can put together with all of the newest current technology
Old 03-28-12, 02:42 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

If I was running Honda I would release a true flagship. Something bigger and with a V8 to take on the LS, A8, S-Class, and 7-Series. Leave the RL oh wait RLX to compete with the GS, E-Class, 5 series, and ect.
Old 03-28-12, 02:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Its funny to me how the TL can get as expensive as a new GS....or damn near it. Its like their 2 most expensive sedan dont line up with competitors
Old 03-28-12, 03:04 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All I gotta say is, they better fix that front grill!
Old 03-28-12, 03:22 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

ILX

now
RLX
TLX

They wasted money registering the stupid name-who the hell wants it anyways?

Still a V6 for their so called flagship

I'll still buy an Equus over any RLX. Man, what a clueless company
Old 03-28-12, 03:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I find it hard to believe that the Acura cant make a V8 for its flagship. I dont care what the price of gas is. A luxury flagship needs a V8 . Luxury doesnt just mean comfortable and quiet. It also means the luxury to pass easily and to never have to hear the engine screaming. I am not saying that when gas jumps more that most manufacturers will not downsize but they have to learn to keep up. Acura has fallen way behind
Old 03-28-12, 03:43 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
YUP!! So its going to a new RL with the same old SHAWD system they use on everything. Doesn't seem very innovative. Aren't these flagship model supposed to represent the apex of what the engineers can put together with all of the newest current technology
Not really, Actually not at all. Think about RX hybrid system but a lot more sophisticated and SHAWD capable. Truly good stuff.

Watch for Mitsu's similar system as well.
Old 03-28-12, 04:31 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Adding an "X" to the name will do nothing but confuse customers. Honda/Acura is (still) clearly struggling to get oxygen to the corporate brain.
Old 03-28-12, 05:21 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Its funny to me how the TL can get as expensive as a new GS....or damn near it. Its like their 2 most expensive sedan dont line up with competitors
TL can be had for deep discount. My client just bought a loaded model OTD for 43K. No where near GS's price.
Old 03-28-12, 05:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Supposedly they will actually debut the eSH-AWD at the show. You can read more about eSH-AWD here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...wd-system.html
Old 03-28-12, 05:42 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should have just gone with Legend....
Old 03-28-12, 05:49 PM
LexFather

Acura making 1sick right since 2000 Name it the "O'RLY" I'll take a page from the Rock's book...ILX..RLX...etc etc

So they will offer a GS 450h competitor 7 years later but with AWD. This engine and AWD system seem to be the preview for what goes in the American made NSX though the RL(X who cares) is made in Japan. Then with no Acura network, this will still be the Honda Legend elsewhere in the world. Why change the name, the name is the least of its problems and RLX sounds no better than RL.

I am going to assume with them going with the electric AWD, they will then offer a FWD RLXdoesn'tmatterwhattheycallit powered by the V-6 only and then the AWD model where the electric motors power the rear so they can offer a FWD flagship for more sales. No doubt it will be a cool system from what we have heard so far.

We have to wonder if the name swapping will do the company any good. From our vantage, it seems like Acura is simply swapping one meaningless moniker for another
Bingo. How many names that make no sense will they use?

Last edited by LexFather; 03-28-12 at 06:03 PM.

Old 03-28-12, 06:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

well hopefully it looks pretty... because adding two smaller-than-prius motors with 27hp at the rear wheels might save fuel, but it is definitively not real AWD performance car.

Quick Reply: Acura RLX