Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rumormill: Revamped Hyundai Sonata due in 2014

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-12, 12:37 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
like on the current one

Indeed. Not just the Sonata though, but most of the Hyundai models that were rushed out over the last 2 years, expect to see more quality problems with them as time goes on.
Old 04-04-12, 04:27 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like on the current one

Keep in mind one fact; manufacturer campaigns and bulletins are excellent gauges into a manufacturer's willingness to see, observe, and repair known issues with their cars. Just try finding a list this long with BMW, and it's not because BMW exudes quality, it's because they refuse to acknowledge known issues with their cars.
I mean, here's a campaign list for a 2IS.

The length of the list means nothing, really.
Old 04-04-12, 06:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

so is a long list indication of a car being rushed to market (TRDFantasy) or good customer service (IS350Jet)? or maybe both?
Old 04-04-12, 11:14 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so is a long list indication of a car being rushed to market (TRDFantasy) or good customer service (IS350Jet)? or maybe both?
seeing BOTH sides of the issue is what makes you SENIOR moderator

but yes I see both sides. First being since 2009 Hyundai has had a product onslaught, seemingly cranking out new designs and refreshes left and right. Backed with good numbers on paper (real world people are being disappointed but neither hear nor there) and an awesome warranty, Its no surprise customers were flocking in droves to their local Hyundai. And with the Sonata Elantra and Accent being huge volume sellers, those manufacturing plants in Alabama were working 24hrs overtime to meet demand. Its no wonder quality control suffered. I'd personally like to see Hyundai slow down and focus on quality rather than volume. As for the other side of the issue. Its good to see Hyundai stepping up and fixing issues before they become problems.
Old 04-04-12, 06:55 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Keep in mind one fact; manufacturer campaigns and bulletins are excellent gauges into a manufacturer's willingness to see, observe, and repair known issues with their cars. Just try finding a list this long with BMW, and it's not because BMW exudes quality, it's because they refuse to acknowledge known issues with their cars.
I mean, here's a campaign list for a 2IS.

The length of the list means nothing, really.
Yes I agree, but having this list of issues (the manufacturer admitting these problems) is one thing. Actually having the manufacturer be proactive and willing to get most of the cars affected by all the bulletins fixed is another. Some manufacturers do it better than others.

In any case, many of the other issues that Hyundai models will face in the coming years as they age won't be fixable by mere bulletins or campaigns.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Both. It's no secret the 2IS was one of the Toyota/Lexus products released during the time where Toyota quality dropped, and many products were rushed. I will easily admit that. The key is that Toyota has learned from their mistakes, and Akio Toyoda is making sure the new Toyota and Lexus models are not repeats of that.

Let's see if Hyundai improves and stops rushing out their products.

Also, refer to my reply to IS350jet. Simply having a list like this is only part of the story in terms of actually providing good customer service.
Old 04-04-12, 08:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

seeing BOTH sides of the issue is what makes you SENIOR moderator
why thank you!

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Both. It's no secret the 2IS was one of the Toyota/Lexus products released during the time where Toyota quality dropped, and many products were rushed. I will easily admit that. The key is that Toyota has learned from their mistakes, and Akio Toyoda is making sure the new Toyota and Lexus models are not repeats of that.
Let's see if Hyundai improves and stops rushing out their products.
hyundai's recent big success is just that - recent. they will either learn, or they won't. as you know, we see companies go through phases, some good, some bad. other s. korean industries, like flat panel displays, might be worth considering... they haven't always made great displays, but now they rule the whole market between lg and samsung, and are rapidly becoming giant players in phones, tablets, and other electronics based around those flat panels. they seem to be not only growing and learning, but innovating at a tremendous pace. i see no reason why hyundai/kia can't as well. but yes, there's always risk. i think you tend to see hyundai's cup as half empty and i see it as half (or more) full.
Old 04-05-12, 11:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I hope they address the front-end styling a little (among some other things) when the facelift-comes. The old Sonata, IMO, looked far better than the present one, which, IMO, looks like a grinning circus-clown with his eyes stretched out. The arched, humpback roofline also cuts down on rear-seat space-efficiency....but the roof, of course, will probably have to wait for the full redesign.